Setting the afterburner threshold

Hi all,

Is it possible to set the afterburner threshold in FC3?

I have physically adjusted my HOTAS Warthog throttle unit to use the afterburner detent, and now I want to configure FC3 such that MIL power is at the detent and afterburner is above it. Can I do this without painfully fiddling around with the throttle curves?

(I know in Falcon 4.0 there is an option to manually set where the afterburner 'kicks in.' I'm hoping FC has a similar setting, but if it does I can't seem to find it.)

Thanks.

Would be a nice option, also wish it was easier to find your joystick axis. The way it is now it's a nightmare having to go through them all.

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

You only need to setup aircraft you fly... beside, how else can you setup controllers when you can't use same settings for all aircraft and there are more than 1 aircraft in sim... no way around it. It's still not that bad as once setup, they don't change with updated as updater doesn't touch your input setting files.

No longer active in DCS...

You only need to setup aircraft you fly... beside, how else can you setup controllers when you can't use same settings for all aircraft and there are more than 1 aircraft in sim... no way around it. It's still not that bad as once setup, they don't change with updated as updater doesn't touch your input setting files.

I'm saying that because I went through every axis when setting up BS and A-10C. I still can't find my rudder axis in A-10C....that's why I haven't flown it. I went back and checked to see what they were in BS and FC2 and tried to use the same one in A-10, but that didn't work. I fly everything except the 25's....well sometimes I fly the 25T.

• Like 1

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

OK, I guess I'll have to play with the curves. Thanks for the replies.

Regarding the issue of multiple aircraft, ED could implement a "threshold" button in the controls section of each individual aircraft, which when pressed would designate whatever throttle percentage you have selected as the afterburner 'kick in' point. It would then be trivially easy to set your AB anywhere you want for any aircraft.

Something for the wishlist I suppose.

• Like 1

You're technically correct in that it wouldn't be strictly realistic, but no person in their right mind would ever set AB to 10,20,30,40% of axis travel because that would result in almost no ability to fine tune throttle position below the afterburner threshold. Setting your AB threshold so low would be pretty terrible for formation flying, aerial refueling, landing etc., pretty much situation where you require high resolution fine throttle adjustments.

The threshold button would be a practical solution, not a strictly realistic one, although in effect it would be essentially as realistic as having an physical detent for the reasons outlined above.

In F4/BMS you can set AB to whatever you want it at, I doubt anyone has it at 12-30% I hope ed can somehow add this in to make it a little easier setting up your AB. I have it set on my CH with a piece of velcro, a little testing and help from a buddy that did most of the work already.

Hi all,

Is it possible to set the afterburner threshold in FC3?

I have physically adjusted my HOTAS Warthog throttle unit to use the afterburner detent, and now I want to configure FC3 such that MIL power is at the detent and afterburner is above it. Can I do this without painfully fiddling around with the throttle curves?

(I know in Falcon 4.0 there is an option to manually set where the afterburner 'kicks in.' I'm hoping FC has a similar setting, but if it does I can't seem to find it.)

Thanks.

I am curious : what do you mean by PHYSICALLY ADJUSTED YOUR HOTAS TO USE THE AFTERBURNER DETENT??? I have the TMWH and there doesnt seem to be a detent???

thanks

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

In DCS I fly jets with thousands of pounds of thrust...

In real life I fly a humble Cessna Hawx XP II with 210 HP :D

JEFX, joey45 answered your question better than I could have.

---

If anyone is interested, I made a curve that works for my HOTAS Warthog with the afterburner detent installed. In practice I'm not sure if this curve will work with everyone's individual throttles, but if Thrustmaster's quality control is decent it should come pretty close.

Simply edit your curves (both left and right thrust) to reflect the settings below:

lS7F1.jpg

This curve gives me military power at the afterburner detent and AB beyond it. It fits my HW throttle perfectly—hopefully it will work for others with no or minimum adjustment.

Edited by Crescendo
Grammar.

• 2 months later...

I know it's been a while since this subject has been discussed, but I'm having the same issue now, I can set the costum curve and I know I can do this very easily in TARGET. But I don't want to use TARGET and was hopping of a more perfect way of doing it than the custom curves. Is there a LUA edit one can do to set the Axis percentage when your AB kicks in?

If you don't want to use TARGET you can try setting your in-game throttle curves to the values I provided in post #12. However, it sounds like you don't want to use curves (I don't blame you - using curves is a painful workaround).

As to your question, no, as far as I can tell there is no option to set the exact amount of axis travel where AB will kick in. That is precisely the kind of function I was originally hoping to find. Falcon 4.0 is a perfect example of this functionality.

I suppose it could be a setting in a LUA file somewhere, but I haven't found one. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable regarding LUA has an idea.

Would be a nice option, also wish it was easier to find your joystick axis. The way it is now it's a nightmare having to go through them all.

There's a dropdown box for all planes and besides it there's another dropdown box.

Select "axis" and the list will be filtered to only include axis.

Works like a charm on all airframes.

Or do you actually mean the name of the X axis for example on your joystick?

If that's the case no need to know it, just hit assign, then move the axis you want to use and it should recognize it automatically.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The keeper of all mathematical knowledge and the oracle of flight modeling.:)

• 3 weeks later...

lS7F1.jpg

That curve made a world of difference for me, but I've made a small improvement to your excellent work. :joystick:

I found that the nonlinearity of the travel between IDLE and MIL made proper formation flying a bit twitchy, so I've tweaked the numbers to make the curve a bit more linear, whilst still handling the afterburner kick-in point properly: 0,3,6,11,22,33,46,59,71,85,100

No need to thank me! :D

• Like 1

There's a dropdown box for all planes and besides it there's another dropdown box.

Select "axis" and the list will be filtered to only include axis.

Works like a charm on all airframes.

Or do you actually mean the name of the X axis for example on your joystick?

If that's the case no need to know it, just hit assign, then move the axis you want to use and it should recognize it automatically.

When I get FC3 I'll have to take a look at it.

That curve made a world of difference for me, but I've made a small improvement to your excellent work. :joystick:

I found that the nonlinearity of the travel between IDLE and MIL made proper formation flying a bit twitchy, so I've tweaked the numbers to make the curve a bit more linear, whilst still handling the afterburner kick-in point properly: 0,3,6,11,22,33,46,59,71,85,100

No need to thank me! :D

doh.gif

Nice work mate. I use your settings now! :beer:

setting the AB detent

This is my current setting [saturation X must be adjusted for your thruster]:

dead zone=0

saturation X=66 [this is my setting; you adjust as needed to relocate the position of 100% MIL power which will be just at the detent, play with this number to fine tune as you like]

saturation Y=100

curvature=0

3 radio buttons=clear