VRK - a virtual reality enabled kneeboard with touch and ink support

AMVI_Rider

VRK - a virtual reality enabled kneeboard with touch and ink support  

171 members have voted

1. 1. VRK - a virtual reality enabled kneeboard with touch and ink support

• Yes
    • No

It is in the Contacts chapter of the quick start guide. I'm not sure if posting it breaks any forum rules. That's why I didn't add it in the first post.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Author of DCSMP and VRK

Ryzen 5 3600X - 32GB DD4 3200C14 Win10 64 - Geforce GTX 1080Ti

Hotas Warhog + Virpil T-50 base - Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals - Cougar MFCDs - Custom head tracker

35" UWQHD main display + 22" MFCD/Helios display / Rift S

2x256 GB SSD - 2Tb Caviar Green

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I am playing around with this. If I launch VRK, my resolution in the headset decreases instantly. Everything becomes blurry. I quit VRK, and the resolution increases back to max. Launch VRK, decreases again. Any idea why?

Tim "Stretch" Morgan

72nd VFW, 617th VFS

Other handles: Strikeout (72nd VFW, 15th MEU Realism Unit), RISCfuture (BMS forums)

PC and Peripherals: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/RISCfuture/saved/#view=DMp6XL

Win10 x64 — BMS — DCS — P3D

VRK has no conto on your HMD. I see you are using a Reverb so it's SteamVR/WMR. I know there are other users with your setup around here maybe they can provide some help.

Is you framerate consistent after VRK start?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Author of DCSMP and VRK

Hotas Warhog + Virpil T-50 base - Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals - Cougar MFCDs - Custom head tracker

No change in FPS. It's clear to me what's happening is that the resulting 3D environment is being upscaled after it's rendered. I know this because

a) FPS remains constant with and without VRK running

b) The image is blurry, as if it's being scaled; rather than being blocky, as if it's being rendered at a lower resolution

This happens when I use auto scaling and fixed scaling in SteamVR. There must be some issue where scene injection in SteamVR or Windows MR causes the resulting image to be rendered at a lower resolution and upscaled.

(Again, all these problems disappear the moment VRK is terminated.)

Tim "Stretch" Morgan

72nd VFW, 617th VFS

Other handles: Strikeout (72nd VFW, 15th MEU Realism Unit), RISCfuture (BMS forums)

PC and Peripherals: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/RISCfuture/saved/#view=DMp6XL

Win10 x64 — BMS — DCS — P3D

Version 1.3.3.14 is available for download

This version will introduces the new pen tablet code that will support multiple pen tablets and harmonize the input configuration. Mind that when upgrading the profiles, the pen tablet must be connected.

From this version VRK runs in 64 bit mode, this removes the memory limitation when loading large documents.

As a side project, VRK now supports Leap Motion for hands integration. SteamVR users will find a new installer in the VRK zip that will install the driver, Oculus users should enable the hands emulation in the profile. See the Quick Start Guide for more details.

Changelog:

[1.3.3.14]

[NEW] 64 bit application

[NEW] Multiple Pen Tablet

[FIX] Zoom Reset was still called Zoom Out

[FIX] Stick POV

[CHG] New Input system (buttons and tablet)

[1.3.3.08]

[NEW] Leap Motion hands emulation for OculusVR

[NEW] Leap Motion driver installer for SteamVR

[FIX] WinTab pen tip sensitivity

Official download location: https://www.amvi.it/download429-vr-kneeboard.html

Donation link: https://tinyurl.com/vrk-donate

Discord: https://discord.gg/mxqSSa4

I would like to thank all VRK supporters for their donations and suggestions!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Author of DCSMP and VRK

Well it is somewhat accurate if you use the finger (and not the ray) to push button, but it requires some work from ED to properly

Generally speaking, accuracy and usability is a little out of scope for VRK. I'm mostly interested in bringing hands support to Oculus users.

Today is Leap Motion, tomorrow who knows. The point is that without any specific hardware support from ED, VRK is able to integrate any hand controller into the sim and it does this for Oculus too (which at the moment is excluded from almost everything not Oculus approved).

This is a side project and I'm looking to something that may become usable every in a long time from now. I will open a thread in input/Output for hands support, maybe we can discuss details there, just to avoid hijacking the kneeboard thread here.

Edited by AMVI_Rider

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Author of DCSMP and VRK

I have a problem with my Huion H1060P. The version before I had no problems...same drivers like in new version.

In the new version I can use my pencil and write, but I can`t use the 6 buttons anymore.

In the setup screen for the buttons I can click in left "new" text fields, but only a red flash appear...no options to chose...the old button names disappeared. On the right side I can choose options...

No infos in the manual about the new button setup.

Any help how to use the buttons? Thx....

Cop

Probably something happened during conversion.

There is no info on the manual because the work exactly like stick buttons: when the cell becomes red, you have to click the tablet (or pen) button.

If you still have problems we can also continue on Discord and maybe start a remote troubleshooting session.

I wonder why your old config hasn't been converted automatically.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Author of DCSMP and VRK

Hi, Thanks for a great VR gadget, I have been using it intently over the last six months. I have a problem since this latest patch in that I am now finding it very difficult to write on the kneeboard in VR. I have to press very hard to get any form of line and on the odd occasion I can see any writing the letters have join lines between them, making them illegibal and any note taking very unpredicatable. I have changed no other settings as it was working well before.

Hi, I guess you are using a Wacom tablet (which is the one that is causing this problem to some users). You have two solutions:

Lower the Tip Feel in the Wacom Tablet Properties (Wacom configuration uility)

or

Enable the Relative Buttons mode in VRK.

The first is preferrable because it keeps the hysteresis logic enabled in VRK (which prevents boucing clicks on kneeboard buttons), the second is the last resort.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Author of DCSMP and VRK

The input system changed a lot because both 64 bit (the Wacom WinTab SDK was not really ready for 64bit) and multi-tablet support.

The problem is to understand if it is the hysteresys that is causing problems or something else. I own a Intuos S and tested personally, so, it may be just something into your configuration (VRK or tablet).

Can you sent me the logs (C:\Users\<windows_username\>\VRK\Logs) via PM or email? I will check if everything is ok.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Author of DCSMP and VRK

I'm trying to reproduce the issue, sorry for the troubles.

In he meanwhile you can revert to 1.3.3.07 by running the setup (no need to uninstall). You will have to remap the table physical buttons.

@epolta it this happening to you too?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Author of DCSMP and VRK

I've just found an issue there that happens if you start the stroke with a very "light" tip pressure.

In this case the stroke is not drawn, also if you increase the pressure later and this can cause also the joint letters problem.

Confirmed to be a bug, easy fix in the code.

What doesn't add up is that, in my case, I had to press with the lightest touch I was able and never happens with a normal pressure.

This must have something to do with tip sensitivity in Wacom Tablet Properties or my unit (I hope not).

Here you can find my settings, can you share yours?

attachment.php?attachmentid=230943&stc=1&d=1585433725

1768919536_Annotation2020-03-28231405.png.ebc142fc6550f28afa26621812428274.png

Edited by AMVI_Rider

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Author of DCSMP and VRK

OK great eplota I reverted and now works as advertised thank you very much. RIDER my settings were moved to full SOFT and OFF to try and make it work and I have the pen switches disabled. Now working well as before on 1.3.3.07 with same settings. In the newer version I was having to press very very hard to get any input even on the soft setting. My apologies for venting my frustration last night it is a great piece of software and invaluable for VR flight.

Edited by Yeti-UK