Real Control Forces - Question to Real Pilots - ED Forums

Notices

Old 10-21-2017, 10:31 PM   #1
balaton

Reputation power: 1
balaton is on a distinguished road
Default Real Control Forces - Question to Real Pilots

Hi Guys,

Just courious: could a pilot with real MI-17 experience somehow describe the control forces on this heavy wonder? Is it heavy or rather a "fingertip" aircraft like the Bell Jet Ranger or AS350?
Cheers ,
Tamas

balaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 09:03 AM   #2
msalama

Reputation power: 31
msalama is a glorious beacon of lightmsalama is a glorious beacon of lightmsalama is a glorious beacon of lightmsalama is a glorious beacon of lightmsalama is a glorious beacon of lightmsalama is a glorious beacon of lightmsalama is a glorious beacon of lightmsalama is a glorious beacon of lightmsalama is a glorious beacon of lightmsalama is a glorious beacon of lightmsalama is a glorious beacon of light

The controls are fully hydraulic so the pilot is shielded from real physical forces I'd guess. But I'm not a RL helo pilot so what do I know
Old 10-22-2017, 02:14 PM   #3
AlphaOneSix
Veteran

Reputation power: 67
AlphaOneSix is a splendid one to beholdAlphaOneSix is a splendid one to beholdAlphaOneSix is a splendid one to beholdAlphaOneSix is a splendid one to beholdAlphaOneSix is a splendid one to beholdAlphaOneSix is a splendid one to beholdAlphaOneSix is a splendid one to beholdAlphaOneSix is a splendid one to beholdAlphaOneSix is a splendid one to beholdAlphaOneSix is a splendid one to beholdAlphaOneSix is a splendid one to behold

As mentioned above, due to the hydraulics, the only control forces are those required to moved 12 feet of control tubes. So not much.
Old 10-22-2017, 03:12 PM   #4
Vladinsky

Reputation power: 4
Vladinsky has a spectacular aura aboutVladinsky has a spectacular aura aboutVladinsky has a spectacular aura aboutVladinsky has a spectacular aura about

You'll also have to account for the stick force gradient which looks to have fairly strong springs, relatively speaking.
Vladinsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 05:19 PM   #5
AlphaOneSix
Veteran

AlphaOneSix is a splendid one to beholdAlphaOneSix is a splendid one to beholdAlphaOneSix is a splendid one to beholdAlphaOneSix is a splendid one to beholdAlphaOneSix is a splendid one to beholdAlphaOneSix is a splendid one to beholdAlphaOneSix is a splendid one to beholdAlphaOneSix is a splendid one to beholdAlphaOneSix is a splendid one to beholdAlphaOneSix is a splendid one to beholdAlphaOneSix is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladinsky View Post
You'll also have to account for the stick force gradient which looks to have fairly strong springs, relatively speaking.
Yep those forces are shown clearly in the manuals, but I don't have them in front of me. And remember those are only there if you don't press the trimmer button. They might be in the flight controls powerpoint that I did, but I don't remember.
Old 10-22-2017, 08:39 PM   #6
Vladinsky

Reputation power: 4
Vladinsky has a spectacular aura aboutVladinsky has a spectacular aura aboutVladinsky has a spectacular aura aboutVladinsky has a spectacular aura about

You wouldn't happen know where I could look for some actual numbers? I've been going through the Mi17 manual but it doesn't have much in terms of specifics.
Vladinsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 10:53 PM   #7
balaton

Thank you captains,

I know that is hydraulic, I read about artifical control load by springs, trim, etc.
What I really asked is not engineering thing, just the subjective feeling of the controls by someone who has flown the Magnificient.

Cheers,

Tamas
Old 10-22-2017, 11:37 PM   #8
AlphaOneSix
Veteran

Well it's going to be very subjective. What I think is "light" you may not think is so light. But I think it's very light as long as the trimmer is held in. I rest my arm on my leg and just make most movements with just my wrist.

(EDIT: Just to be clear, I am talking about the real helicopter. Although I am not a rated helicopter pilot, I have many hours flying the Mi-8/17)
Old 10-23-2017, 11:35 AM   #9
balaton

Thank you Alpha, that's what I wanted... and you are lucky!