DCS cameras, views and video recording

Bucic

Make sure you explore all the cockpit view options as well then. And remember. If a modifier (e.g. jitter ) works with one camera it might as well work with the other cameras. I'd also try numpad arrows etc. in each and every view you explore, including those you are seemingly locked onto something (e.g. F5).

As for the special effects. Why don't you record two similar short stints and compare? Personally, since the ridiculous gloom-rather-tham-hdr is gone with 1.5, I don't mind the post effects.

Two additional tips:

- as with everything else, the new effects are probably also controlled via parameters in view.lua

- high sensitivity mouse camera moves look terrible; sensitivity can be adjusted but I'm pretty sure view.lua contains provisions for camera inertia as well

Sorry for repeating the same lie but

Thank you Bucic :thumbup:

I'll have an experiment this weekend when I have some free time.

My Hangar: P-51D Mustang - KA-50 Blackshark - A-10C Warthog - F-86F Sabre - FC3 - Combined Arms - UH-1H

My Flying Adventures: www.dcs-pilot.com :pilotfly:

There is a good option in War Thunder. You push a button on the joystick, and as long as you hold it down, the pilots sight follows the locked target. So it is a kind of "target head tracking". For me it was binded on my Thrustmaster Hotas X throttle stick button 9.

Can i do this in DCS too ?

Every flight sim/game I've used since the turn of the century has had padlock in some form, but in each one it works a little differently. I haven't used padlock in DCS, so I don't know exactly how it works, but if it works like it did in Lock On: Modern Air Combat (and I expect it does, because the rest of the camera system hasn't changed), then it will be a toggle rather than a hold-down-the-button thing. Look in your control bindings, under the view categories. You may need to use functions from the View category as well as from View Padlock, or the View Padlock keys may work without any further keys. I don't know; try it out. It probably will only work if you've already got the enemy aircraft within your unobstructed FoV.

Edited by Echo38

Every flight sim/game I've used since the turn of the century has had padlock in some form, but in each one it works a little differently. I haven't used padlock in DCS, so I don't know exactly how it works, but if it works like it did in Lock On: Modern Air Combat (and I expect it does, because the rest of the camera system hasn't changed), then it will be a toggle rather than a hold-down-the-button thing. Look in your control bindings, under the view categories. You may need to use functions from the View category as well as from View Padlock, or the View Padlock keys may work without any further keys. I don't know; try it out. It probably will only work if you've already got the enemy aircraft within your unobstructed FoV.

Thanks Echo38 !

I will try some bindings and we will see.

Cockpit Visual Recon and Status Bar

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=152728

Cockpit exploration:

Middle mouse button (scroll wheel) - click twice cycle between camera control and clickable cockpit cursor

Middle mouse button (scroll wheel) - hold to quickly move in the vertical lateral plane ; equivalent to [RCtrl + Rshift + Num arrows]

[RCtrl + Rshift + Num *] and [RCtrl + Rshift + Num /] - move forward/aft

Edited by Bucic

• 2 weeks later...

F4 Look back view

[LShift + F4]

Move using the same key combinations that are used for in-cockpit 6 DOF movement i.e.:

[RCtrl + Rshift + Num arrows]

[RCtrl + Rshift + Num *] and [RCtrl + Rshift + Num /]

Despite the name by default this camera is set by the A/C engine just below exhaust pipes (in WW2 planes), pointing forward. The most interesting part about the camera is that unlike the F2 external camera this one does not have any floating, bobbing or jitter by default and/U] it retains it angular orientation with respect to the A/C. In other words it's a camera that shows the world as if it was actually attached to the A/C on a set of rods. This particular feature is invaluable in assesment of your flight performance. Start a playback of your takeoff run and use the camera. It's going to show a tiniest motion of your aircraft. It also going to show you that in fact your piloting skills are pitiful, so beware ;)

Rudder Coordination Exercises- what the heck is the rudder for???? - ED Forums

A question I have:

Whatever I did in-game the rotation reference point remained pretty much unchanged. Can I move it in-game somehow? Or is there a mode similar to the LAlt + F2 mode where you lock translation movement of the camera and only rotate?

Edited by Bucic
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My recent discovery - the infobar works while in the cockpit view :) So...

In cockpit:

[LCtrl + ENTER] - controls indicator

[LCtrl + Y] - infobar, cycle modes

Edited by Bucic

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

How do you lock an aircraft ? is it still actual ?

I tried this and the ctrl +F3 once in free view without success

LCtrl - F11 free camera - you can place the camera >anywhere< or even fly it.

LCtrl - F11 camera can LOCK on an object - 'Numpad .' This way you can make an 'airshow camera'.

When the mission begins, and you are on the ground, runway, whatever - hit CTRL-F11, and you are now in the "free cam view". Move the camera to wherever you want, ground, air, doesn't matter.

Now hit CTRL-F3 and the camera will start following (tracking) your plane (or whatever object the camera was locked to in the first place).

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

How can i record at 60fps

Ive made a couple of nice videos at 30fps but when i create an AVI at 60fps (irrespective of graphical setting/resolution) the playback stops about every second.

My rig is fast enough (2700k@5ghz/16GB 2133mhz Ram/ 780gtx massively OVed and OCed SSD etc)

Im using uncompressed AVI but anything over 30fps causes issues on playback.

AMD 3800x, Asrock 570X Taichi, 32GB Corsair Platinum, MSI 1080Ti, Corsair MP600 Gen 4 1TB NVMe. Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB NVMe, Samsung 860 1TB SSD, Custom Watercooling, AOC 32" 4K Screen.

I may be wrong, but I seem to recall that most media players on a PC have a lot of trouble playing large uncompressed AVI files. I used to have the same issue on my old PC. But when I processed the video using a program such as Sony Vegas Movie Studio and created an .mp4 @ 30fps, it would play just fine.

As I said, I could be wrong, but it's worth a try. ������

Bang on, once id run it through Handbrake it was silky smooth. Max settings at 1440p and 60fps.

Thanks.

AMD 3800x, Asrock 570X Taichi, 32GB Corsair Platinum, MSI 1080Ti, Corsair MP600 Gen 4 1TB NVMe. Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB NVMe, Samsung 860 1TB SSD, Custom Watercooling, AOC 32" 4K Screen.

I did the numbers on the RAW AVI in 1080p60, and that alone was 200-250MB/sec. You need an SSD, a fast RAID or 10Gb LAN to pass data that fast. Then, I found that MPC-HC outperforms VLC in most instances. You can also recompress the RAW AVI with the Lagarith lossless codec. Reduces filesize quite a bit, but VLC doesn't doesn't like Lagarith.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

ASUS Z170-P w/ Intel i7-7700, 32GB DDR4 RAM, SSDs out the wazoo and a GTX 1080Ti,

Oculus Rift CV1, TM Warthog stick and throttle, TM Cougar MFDs, MFG Crosswind pedals and WheelStandPro Warthog (w/ the custom small Warthog plate)

Former F-16 Ground Crew @ RNoAF

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi All

I have been trying out the camera controls, but when I select Lctrl + F3 after LCtrl + F11 anything beneath my viewpoint is blurred and looks way bad. When I return by F11, it's clear again. Is this normal and does it appear in the final movie.

Using 1.5.4

Cheers

Steve

Sounds like a Depth of Field issue.. DoF is calculated from the the player cockpit, not camera location.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

ASUS Z170-P w/ Intel i7-7700, 32GB DDR4 RAM, SSDs out the wazoo and a GTX 1080Ti,

Oculus Rift CV1, TM Warthog stick and throttle, TM Cougar MFDs, MFG Crosswind pedals and WheelStandPro Warthog (w/ the custom small Warthog plate)

Former F-16 Ground Crew @ RNoAF

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 month later...

I did this video to show some of the camera angles. I will probably do it again, as it does not cover the combat aspect. I show how the fly past views half way through. I hope it helps people.

Edited by DoctorStrop
wrong link
  • Like 1

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i7 6700K, 32GB Corsair 2400Mhz, 970 NVMe 500Gb SSD, GeForce 2080 super, HP Reverb, VKB GF PRO, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle, Thrustmaster Pendular rudders, Windows + DCS :thumbup:

My youtube channel