[REPORTED]Engine still runs with throttle in the stop position

hazzer

PS: How could this be a throttle tuning issue? I'm using the command "Throttle to Stop" (equiv. to RAlt + END) using the built-in switch in the lever of my WH throttle module. That reliably stops the engine in SP and it should do the same in MP.

Same here, with exception of me playing SP only and having this thing happening 9 out of 10 times as long as mission was cold-started. I use the same Warthog throttle and I also have the throttle-stop function assigned to switch rather than axis detent, so axis settings/deadzones etc. are irrelevant (or are they?).

Throttle stop seems to be working OK in any hot-started mission, though.

I can record and post another track once again, this time in latest OB. Maybe we should decide which default, ED-built mission could be used as a testbed for all of us? Might make reporting and investigating easier.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

good news: it's reported as a bug, so there is hope.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

• 1 month later...

I encounter the same problem when I fly in an aerobatic server, it may be that they have not yet put the last update, I should check but what happens is: the engine continues to turn very slowly at idle after putting the throttle all back (Aus not idle) and even after closing the fuel lever under the dashboard (fuel tank selector lever in Zu position). At this point the fuel pressure drops drastically but the engine continues to run, at idle and with difficulty but if it were in reality it would be enough to kill a mechanic who was near the propeller. To stop the engine at this point click on the Magneto lever and I get the engine off.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]My dream: DCS Tornado

Thank you captain obvious, but that's the point of this whole thread - the engine keeps sputtering (with manifold pressure jumping between 0.6 and 1.05 ATA) and doesn't want to stop even after throttle lever is moved from idle to "throttle stop" position, which should, I believe, work like "cutoff" position in Allied airplanes (and so it perfectly does in Dora 9).

Short track attached. Recorded in today's Open Beta, no mods (apart from Reshade), no controllers plugged in apart from mouse and keyboard. Auto start sequence, followed by a few minutes of warmup, followed by moving throttle to "throttle stop" position.

When I played it, I admit the engine did stop eventually, but it happened after 1 minute 55 seconds - a "bit" too long for an engine supposedly without air-fuel mixture, I'd say.

Since replays of Anton-8 are notoriously unreliable, when playing the track afterwards on my PC, the engine stopped after 1 minute 38 seconds.

Maybe previously I wasn't waiting long enough, but still - in hot-started missions the engine quits within few seconds, as expected.

What he said might have seemed obvious to you, but speaking from experience as a life-long aircraft mechanic (more than 45 years as a holder of FAA Airman certificate, Mechanic, Airframe and Powerplant), engine “run on” on a normally-aspirated (nonfuel injected) engine is not that unusual. Even if you have the throttle in off, and mixture in idle-cutoff, the cylinders can continue to draw a small amount of fuel from the fuel reservoir of the carburetor. It usually is related to a high-cylinder head temperature of the engine. For those of you who remember automobile engines before fuel injection became the standard, we had a condition known as “dieseling” that was usually caused by a hotspot in the piston head or cylinder. The engine would continue to sputter until you pushed the accelerator, effectively flooding the engine and cooling the hotspot.

While it might be a bug, if it occurs, try increasing the throttle a bit to flood the engine, although the best way to stop it it to turn off the mags, or the fuel lever. That eliminates any ability for the engine to continue to fire. Magnetos are not ignition switches. They will continue to fire the spark as long as the engine is turning, or until they are grounded (switched off).

When all else fails, READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!

i-7 8700K Coffee Lake 5 GHz OC CPU, 32GB Corsair 3200 RAM, GTX1080 Ti 11Gb VRAM. Controls - Thrustmaster Warthog H.O.T.A.S., Saitek Pro rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Oculus Rift S, Rift CV1

What he said might have seemed obvious to you, but speaking from experience as a life-long aircraft mechanic (more than 45 years as a holder of FAA Airman certificate, Mechanic, Airframe and Powerplant), engine “run on” on a normally-aspirated (nonfuel injected) engine is not that unusual. Even if you have the throttle in off, and mixture in idle-cutoff, the cylinders can continue to draw a small amount of fuel from the fuel reservoir of the carburetor. It usually is related to a high-cylinder head temperature of the engine. For those of you who remember automobile engines before fuel injection became the standard, we had a condition known as “dieseling” that was usually caused by a hotspot in the piston head or cylinder. The engine would continue to sputter until you pushed the accelerator, effectively flooding the engine and cooling the hotspot.

While it might be a bug, if it occurs, try increasing the throttle a bit to flood the engine, although the best way to stop it it to turn off the mags, or the fuel lever. That eliminates any ability for the engine to continue to fire. Magnetos are not ignition switches. They will continue to fire the spark as long as the engine is turning, or until they are grounded (switched off).

The focke engine is fuel injected so no carb here. You can't increase the throttle when it is in the cut off position as the point of it is to shut off the engine, it stops the fuel flow. If you increase the throttle you will enable the fuel flow and start the engine will run normally, which isn't what we want.

When we are saying the the throttle is in the off position we aren't just saying the throttle is closed. This isn't just the standard Pa28 you are working on.

RTX 2080ti, I7 9700k, 32gb ram, SSD, Samsung Odyssey VR, MSFFB2, T-50 Throttle, Thrustmaster Rudder Pedals

I don't know, what is contributing to this bug, is it miss handling engine, or mission settings.

I must say i haven't encountered this issue so far on my end. I have already dozens of shut downs, all went as expected. Short splutter/ or rough engine run then engine grind to stop.

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

I had encountered this bug in MP only, but that's a while ago. I have never seen it in SP. In the last few weeks I have been in MP repeatedly (last today) but never saw it happening. So I assume it's fixed at least in OB.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5