Mission 5 and EGT

rge75

Just wondering about the sling load in mission 5. It says 453.592kg...is this more or less the maximum? I think it was quite difficult to lift it and to stay within EGT limits. I had to go into transitional flight pretty quick and in fact I almost tilted the cargo...

Lifting was one thing, but dropping the cargo was another story. In my first attempt, I wanted to go into a hover to drop the cargo right at the smoke, but I was still descending (VSI around -1 or -2m/sec) with EGT over 7500...I knew this can't last for long. So yeah, the nice "Fire" alert appeared.

2nd attempt, I simply went with 20 knots and decelelerated in the last moment. However, VSI was 5-7m/sec and I still had slight transitional flight when the cargo hit the ground. I was surprised the cargo wasn't damaged, but I would rate the landing as a "lession how to not make it" (?).

Just for demonstration, here's the landing part:

Long story short...how do you drop the cargo with that weight correctly? My intention was to go into a groundeffect hover right before the cargo hit the ground, but the timing wasn't right. Also, not sure if the rope isn't too long for ground effect?