Best way to attack targets in mountain area

jfri

In the campaign the enemy within I'm supposed to attack target in the mountains and also to stay above 17000 feet. I fail this since when I can see the targets it's almost right under me and I can't place the TDC or TGP diamond on it. When further away the targets are obstructed by mountains.

What is the correct procedure for solving this ?

Agreed, you may have to come at them from a different direction.

The hard deck is there to protect you from SHORAD, but most missions in the campaign also tell you that the pilot can go lower if the situation requires it. If it helps to descend, you should do that. Although I believe climbing higher should actually help you get a better view and gain more visibility on the target area. ;)

If all else fails, I like to drop my nose onto a (visually acquired) target just long enough to ground stabilize TDC or TGP on it, and then work the sensors to refine the aim and gain more SA on the situation on the ground. :thumbup:

Agreed, you may have to come at them from a different direction.

The hard deck is there to protect you from SHORAD, but most missions in the campaign also tell you that the pilot can go lower if the situation requires it. If it helps to descend, you should do that. Although I believe climbing higher should actually help you get a better view and gain more visibility on the target area. ;)

If all else fails, I like to drop my nose onto a (visually acquired) target just long enough to ground stabilize TDC or TGP on it, and then work the sensors to refine the aim and gain more SA on the situation on the ground. :thumbup:

Even from the best direction this is a problems with the walley not being long enough.

When descending I'm being shot down and it's still difficult to place a TDC or TGP diamond on the target.

Just ripple a couple 97's in there. You'll get 'em!:thumbup::lol:

Well in this mission in this campaign I don't have any 97. And even if I had is it still not required to see the target in the TGP and lock on it ?

Mark my words, when you progress in that campaign you will miss being at altitude.

Concerning your problem, you need to use your mk1 eyeball to find the targets location first, then look which path in to the valley will be better to follow in order to lock the target with the TDC ot the TGP.

Good use of markpoints is also paramount, since the TGP will usually gimball lock after a few passes, because you will always turn the same side.

Other trick is to order your wingman to attack the objective and use the TAD to SPI the wingman SPI and then slave your TGP to it.

But specially, be patient. The CLA has nasty surprises for you. Make good use of flares even if you think there are no threats.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I was just joking about the 97's... I use that response whenever anybody has any issues getting a target with the hog lol! Serious note though, can you get the coordinates of the tgt from JTAC or possibly a waypoint? You can slave to WPTS and even mk points I believe, so if you can get one on the tgt you could slave to it and CCRP it without ever seeing it personally.

Well in this mission in this campaign I don't have any 97. And even if I had is it still not required to see the target in the TGP and lock on it ?

You can load whatever you want in the pre mission loadout, you don't always have to take what your given most of the time.. ;)

i5-7600K @ 4.8 | 32GB | 1080 | Rift S | TM MFD & WH HOTAS-10mm ext + TFRP

Mark my words, when you progress in that campaign you will miss being at altitude.

Concerning your problem, you need to use your mk1 eyeball to find the targets

What do you mean by mk1 eyeball ?

What do you mean by mk1 eyeball ?

He means be "Head Up" and looking outside using your eyes and not head down squinting at a TGP display. Look not only for specific targets, but landmarks, roads, buildings, rocks, patches of snow, stands of trees, etc. Things that can help put your targets into a "box" you can repeatedly find just by looking.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php

High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.

www.crosswindimages.com