New GME software - Page 67 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 07-20-2018, 03:11 AM   #661
DflippinK

Quote:
Originally Posted by imacken View Post
It could become confused about what to backup. When you enable a mod, it backs up the original files to your specified location, and then copies the modded files in their place. When you disable a mod, it restores the backed up files to their original location.
So, if you do an update without disabling a mod, OvGME will think that the mod files are still in place whereas they are not, and it will restore possibly old backup files on top of the new updated original files if you subsequently disable a mod.
I hope you follow that!

thats exactly what happened to me the other day... undid the mod... updated DCS.... re enabled the mod,... but forgot to swap out the old backup... and the next time i disabled the mod, it wrote the old files to my new install... took me a sec to figure out what happened... but its all good now..
Old 07-20-2018, 08:09 AM   #662
imacken

[QUOTE=foou;3571743]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snacko View Post
You just point it to the ../Saved Games/ folder. The app finds the correct version on it's own.

I Just tried that with OvGME, the result is /Saved Games/CoreMods/.. etc. The Skins aren't available in game.
If you are going to use the Saved Games folder, then the correct path is '....\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta' if you are running the OB - obviously.
Are you talking about the 'configuration root folder'? If so, then that should be 'C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta'.
I use 'C:\Users\Iain\Saved Games\OVGME\DCS' as 'configuration mods folder', and 'C:\Users\Iain\Saved Games\OVGME\DCS Open Beta Backups' for the backup folder.
Intel i7 8700 4.8GHz · EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-F · Acer 32" XB321HK · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · Samsung 850 Evo 500Gb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 10 · HOTAS Warthog · TM Pedals · Oculus Rift
imacken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 10:54 AM   #663
Snacko

Oops, sorry. I was thinking about Kneeboard Builder app.. It's wonky. Please disregard my previous comment.

Sent from my Moto Z Play using Tapatalk

- ҉ - Blackshark Cockpit Trainer - ҉ -
-- Thread -- ♥ Download
Snacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 02:34 AM   #664
foou

[QUOTE=imacken;3571923]
Quote:
Originally Posted by foou View Post
If you are going to use the Saved Games folder, then the correct path is '....\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta' if you are running the OB - obviously.
Are you talking about the 'configuration root folder'? If so, then that should be 'C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta'.
I use 'C:\Users\Iain\Saved Games\OVGME\DCS' as 'configuration mods folder', and 'C:\Users\Iain\Saved Games\OVGME\DCS Open Beta Backups' for the backup folder.
Won't using 'C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta' as the configuration root folder install the mods into the main dcs directory and not the saved games folder?
foou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 06:20 AM   #665
imacken

Quote:

Won't using 'C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta' as the configuration root folder install the mods into the main dcs directory and not the saved games folder?
That’s the point! It installs to the main folder, and backs up what it’s overwriting. When you disable a mod in OvGME, then it restores the original files.
Read the user guide included with the software.
Intel i7 8700 4.8GHz · EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-F · Acer 32" XB321HK · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · Samsung 850 Evo 500Gb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 10 · HOTAS Warthog · TM Pedals · Oculus Rift
Old 07-22-2018, 04:04 AM   #666
foou

Quote:
That’s the point! It installs to the main folder, and backs up what it’s overwriting. When you disable a mod in OvGME, then it restores the original files.
Read the user guide included with the software.
I was under the impression we could install liveries and mods into the saved games folder thus not changing anything in the main DCS folder.
Old 07-22-2018, 06:59 AM   #667
imacken

Quote:
I was under the impression we could install liveries and mods into the saved games folder thus not changing anything in the main DCS folder.
Yes, you can use Saved Game folder for some mod types, but others need to use the main game folder. I find that too messy, so I use the main folder for everything.
Old 07-22-2018, 08:29 AM   #668
sc_neo

Have been using this for a very long time now and its incredigly handy and a pleasure to use, so thanks for your efforts!

Two things i feel would make it a tiny bit more convinient; when altering a profile and saving it (correct me if i am missing something here), you always have to type a new profile name. I don't see a simple 'save profile' button. I thus always type in the old profiles name and override.

Second; i would love to have a ''one-stop-shop'' deactivate/activate profile button right on the main menu that removes/adds all mods to make updating DCS even simpler. I know, its not much work, but right now you first have to select all mods from the mod-list and click disable, run the DCS updater, and then click through ovgmes top taps to renable a given profile.

Again, its just my take on what would make it incredibly easy and convinient to use. Its already incredibly useful the way it is now. Cheers mate!
sc_neo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 06:16 PM   #669
Captain Orso+
Posting Rights Suspended

Quote:
Yes, you can use Saved Game folder for some mod types, but others need to use the main game folder. I find that too messy, so I use the main folder for everything.
There are some mods which MUST be installed into the Saved Games folder structure, bc they don't have any signature files. If you install them into the DCS root folders, they will not work.

Besides, those mods which work in the Saved Games folders only need to be installed once. You don't use OvGME to do that, bc there's no point to it.

Very simple; not confusing; not difficult.

System Specs.
Spoiler:
System board ... MSI X99A GAMING 9 ACK
CPU ............ Intel Core i7-5820K @ 3800MHz per OC Genie
CPU cooling .... Noctua NH-D15
Memory ......... 16GB DDR4-3000 G.Skill Ripjaw
PSU ............ Corsair AX860i PSU
Graphics card .. Zotac Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Amp! Extreme
System disk .... SanDisk Extreme PRO 480GB SSD
Monitor ........ ASUS MG279Q, 27"
VR ............. Oculus Rift CV1
Captain Orso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 06:55 PM   #670
foou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Orso View Post
There are some mods which MUST be installed into the Saved Games folder structure, bc they don't have any signature files. If you install them into the DCS root folders, they will not work.

Besides, those mods which work in the Saved Games folders only need to be installed once. You don't use OvGME to do that, bc there's no point to it.

Very simple; not confusing; not difficult.
Regardless, putting any mod or livery into the proper saved games folder structure doesn't work for me.