DCS Bios for F-18 ?

Padonis

Can we count on DCS Bios for the F-18? If so, how long will you have to wait after issuing the Hornet? I realize that this is probably a lot of work and it will not be fast... Not that everything will not be right away.

It depends on how the F18 configuration files are laid out.

I tried doing it for the AV8B but could not get it to work.

Hopefully the hornet is setup like the other modules in which case I plan to have a basic version up and running for my own testing fairly quickly.

edit: Details of my AV8B issues here

Intel i7 13700K @ 5.3 GHz / ASUS TUF Gaming Z490-Plus / 64 Gb G.Skill DDR4-3600 / RTX 4090 / 2TB Kingston KC3000 NVME / Win 10 x64 Pro / Pimax Crystal / WINWING F/A-18 HOTAS

A-10C, AJS-37, AV-8B, F-4E, F-5E, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18C, F-86F, FC3, Christen Eagle 2, FW190D-9, Mosquito, P-47D, P-51D, Spitfire, AH-64D, KA-50, UH-1H

Combined Arms, WWII Asset Pack, China Assets Pack, Super Carrier, Falklands Assets

Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf, The Channel, Syria, Mariana Islands, South Atlantic, Sinai

So close.

I have the F18 talking to DCSBios and vice versa. I've made up a simple switchbox with: Landing gear, launch bar, hook, ldg/taxi light, anti skid and hook bypass switches.

I have created and f18 lua with entries as below:

defineToggleSwitch("GEAR_LEVER", 5, 3001, 226, "Gear Panel", "Gear Lever")
defineToggleSwitch("LAUNCH_BAR", 5, 3002, 233, "Gear Panel", "Launch Bar")
defineToggleSwitch("ANTI_SKID", 5, 3003, 238, "Gear Panel", "Anti Skid")
defineToggleSwitch("HOOK_LEVER", 5, 3004, 293, "Gear Panel", "Hook Lever")
defineToggleSwitch("LDG_TAXI_LIGHTS", 8, 3001, 237, "Gear Panel", "Landing/Taxi Lights")
defineToggleSwitch("HOOK_BYPASS", 9, 3001, 239, "Gear Panel", "Hook Bypass")

This was based on the following entries from clickabledata.lua

elements["pnt_226"]		= LDG_Gear_Control_Handle(_("Landing Gear Control Handle, (RMB)UP/(LMB)DOWN/(MW)EMERGENCY DOWN"),	devices.GEAR_INTERFACE, gear_commands.GearHandle, 226, gear_commands.EmergDown, 228, 4.5)
elements["pnt_233"]		= default_button2(_("Launch Bar Control Switch, EXTEND/RETRACT"),	devices.GEAR_INTERFACE, gear_commands.LaunchBarSw, 233, anim_speed_default)
elements["pnt_238"]		= default_2_position_tumb(_("Anti Skid Switch, ON/OFF"),			devices.GEAR_INTERFACE, gear_commands.AntiSkidSw,			238)
elements["pnt_293"]		= default_2_position_tumb(_("Arresting Hook Handle, UP/DOWN"),		devices.GEAR_INTERFACE, gear_commands.HookHandle,	293)
elements["pnt_237"]		= default_2_position_tumb(_("LDG/TAXI LIGHT Switch, ON/OFF"),		devices.EXT_LIGHTS,		extlights_commands.LdgTaxi,		237)
elements["pnt_239"]		= springloaded_2_pos_tumb2(_("HOOK BYPASS Switch, FIELD/CARRIER"),	devices.CPT_LIGTHS,		cptlights_commands.HookBypass,	239)

and devices.lua

devices["GEAR_INTERFACE"]			= counter()--5
devices["EXT_LIGHTS"]				= counter()--8      -- External Lighting
devices["CPT_LIGTHS"]				= counter()--9      -- Cockpit Lighting

This is the relevant part of my sketch

DcsBios::Switch2Pos gearLever("GEAR_LEVER", 2);
DcsBios::Switch2Pos launchBar("LAUNCH_BAR", 3);
DcsBios::Switch2Pos hookLever("HOOK_LEVER", 4);
DcsBios::Switch2Pos ldgTaxiLights("LDG_TAXI_LIGHTS", 5);
DcsBios::Switch2Pos antiSkid("ANTI_SKID", 6);
DcsBios::Switch2Pos hookBypass("HOOK_BYPASS", 7);

This is where it gets weird ...

The landing gear lever does nothing

The Launch bar switch enables the emergency landing gear (rotates the handle)

The hook lever toggles the anti skid switch

LDG/TAXI light switch appears to do nothing

Anti Skid switch appears to do nothing

Hook bypass switch toggles the panel lighting between off and full on

I can see in the dcsbios window that the correct commands are being toggled as I hit each switch, so I know I have my sketch setup correctly to match the commands in the aircraft lua, so the problem must be in the definitions in there.

Any help greatly appreciated (Ian??). I looked at the A10C lua a LOT before starting on this and it looks as though I've followed the correct process, but obviously not.

I plan on releasing this for other people to use once it is working ...

edit: some more info. using the dcsbios live data view, I can see each of my configured entries properly changing when I click on the appropriate switch/lever in the cockpit. Weird. Unfortunately I can't test in the opposite direction as the controls to force a state change from the live viewer appears broken (for all modules).

Edited by Bullant

Intel i7 13700K @ 5.3 GHz / ASUS TUF Gaming Z490-Plus / 64 Gb G.Skill DDR4-3600 / RTX 4090 / 2TB Kingston KC3000 NVME / Win 10 x64 Pro / Pimax Crystal / WINWING F/A-18 HOTAS

A-10C, AJS-37, AV-8B, F-4E, F-5E, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18C, F-86F, FC3, Christen Eagle 2, FW190D-9, Mosquito, P-47D, P-51D, Spitfire, AH-64D, KA-50, UH-1H

Combined Arms, WWII Asset Pack, China Assets Pack, Super Carrier, Falklands Assets

Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf, The Channel, Syria, Mariana Islands, South Atlantic, Sinai

OK I have figured it out.

I thought the 300x numbers were just assigned sequentially but they need to be done in a particular order. The problem is that the only way I can figure it out is by try and error, setting up a heap of "commands" and toggling them through live view to see which switches flip. Talk about painful.

Does anyone know if there is an easier way to determine the 300x numbers (second parameter)?

The first and third parameters are easy to determine ...

defineToggleSwitch("GEAR_LEVER", 5, 3001, 226, "Gear Panel", "Gear Lever")

More progress.

I have the switches and controls working on the gear, exterior lights and interior lights panels.

However ... all of the two positions switches work correctly except for the launch bar and hook bypass switches.

For both of these, rather than mimicking the position of the physical switch I find that the down/off position does nothing and each time I move the switch to the up/on position it toggles the switch in the aircraft.

Very strange as they are defined the same as the other switches both in the clickabledata.lua file and in my f18 dcsbios aircraft definition file. Perhaps it is an early release bug? Not sure.

Interesting..

Have you considered that these switches appear to be implemented as solenoid held in the EXTEND and FIELD positions respectively? They should only stay latched if parameters are right (WoW, battery power, hydraulic pressure and what have you..)

For the A-10C solenoid held switches I believe Ian stated that DCS BIOS would actually flip the switch and it would just return very fast to off if parameters were not right for it to stay latched in the on position. The A-10C ANTI SKID skid switch would be an example of this - but then ED may have coded controls differently this time around.

Of course we are talking alpha state hornet here so switches could still be buggy..

Yeah that is possible, will need some more playing with and might even need a change in the way dcsbios works?

Anyway, been working on this all day. I have done:

Control System

Electrical System

Power Plant

Hydraulic System

Gear System

Exterior Lights

Cockpit lights

Going to go and have an actual fly now!

Tomorrow, moving on to:

Fuel System

Cockpit Mechanics

Mirrors

Oxygen System

ECS

Master Arm Panel

Fire Systems

HUD

Left MDI

Right MDI

APMCD

Instruments

IFEI

Sensor Panel

UFC

Intercom

Antenna Selector

RWR

CMDS

ICMP

Hello Andrew.

I just finished the code part for my helios profile, so i managed to create all the lamps, switches, instruments, etc.

If you need some help just let me know

Thanks mate, about to start on round 2 will send you a PM if I get stuck on anything.

And I am done. For now. You can grab a copy of the profile here

That was quick :)

Your zip seems to be missing the json files for the f18 for it to show up in the control reference - or another updated file is missing for those to be generated automatically. Tried it on a fresh dcs bios download

The json files will generate automatically once you launch a mission with the F18.

But I've updated the zip file to contain the json files.

edit: need sleep. I missed the updated AircraftList.lua file, zip file updated again, will definitely work now.

Edited by Bullant

That is some serious work you are putting into this AndrewW :thumbup: Hats of to you Sir for taking the workload on this. There's got be a ton of guys owing beers. Unfortunately unable to rep you for your works as this function has been turned off.

Keep up the good work Sir

Cheers

Solo

Thanks mate, yes a ton of work but someone had to do it. Now I can start building prototype panels at full speed :)

And yeah, not sure what happened to the rep system ...

Good work Andrew, quite a lot of what you have done works fine, but it seems the hornet doesn't play 100% nice with dcs bios right now.

Looking at the F18 cliackable_defs.lua they've defined a lot of new switch types and they have more parameters for animations etc. compared to the A10, so that may be throwing dcs bios off. It looks pretty messy in there right now but I'm no expert and the thing is in alpha so ok..

So I've done some limited testing of your F18 module with a prototype panel that I've confirmed works with the A-10C on the same DCS install. Just testing simple switch functionality. That still leaves LED outputs, >3 position switches, potentiometers, gauge/servo output and mag switches etc to be tested if anyone is up for it....

2 position switches (position 0/down/out or OFF ususally, pos 1/up/in or ON usually)

Sorted by how you have it in dcs bios

AMPCD_PB_01 -- OK

AMPCD_PB_02 -- OK

AMPCD_PB_03 -- OK

AMPCD_PB_04 -- OK

AMPCD_PB_05 -- OK

AMPCD_PB_06 -- OK

AMPCD_PB_07 -- OK

AMPCD_PB_08 -- OK

AMPCD_PB_09 -- OK

AMPCD_PB_10 -- OK

AMPCD_PB_11 -- OK

AMPCD_PB_12 -- OK

AMPCD_PB_13 -- OK

AMPCD_PB_14 -- OK

AMPCD_PB_15 -- OK

AMPCD_PB_16 -- OK

AMPCD_PB_17 -- OK

AMPCD_PB_18 -- OK

AMPCD_PB_19 -- OK

AMPCD_PB_20 -- OK

CMSD_DISPENSE_BTN -- OK

CMSD_JET_SEL_BTN -- OK

HOOK_BYPASS_SW -- OK

LIGHTS_TEST_SW -- OK

MASTER_CAUTION_RESET_SW -- OK

CANOPY_JETT_HANDLE_PULL -- OK (when unlocked)

CANOPY_JETT_HANDLE_UNLOCK -- OK

EJECTION_HANDLE -- OK (must be armed and needs to pulled 3 times like on the keyboard to activate)

EJECTION_SEAT_ARMED -- OK (but reversed so position 0 is on/armed)

EJECTION_SEAT_MNL_OVRD -- OK

HIDE_STICK_TOGGLE -- OK

RUDDER_PEDAL_ADJUST -- OK

SHLDR_HARNESS_SW -- OK (but reversed so position 0 is LOCK)

FCS_BIT_SW -- OK

FCS_RESET_BUTTON -- OK

GAIN_SWITCH -- OK (when cover is up)

GAIN_SWITCH_COVER -- OK

S15_RECOVERY_COVER -- not OK (no action)

S15_RECOVERY_SW -- not OK (no action)

TO_TRIM_BUTTON -- OK

WING_FOLD_PULL -- OK

AV_COOL_SW -- OK

BLEED_AIR_PULL -- OK

CB_FCS_CHAN1 -- OK

CB_FCS_CHAN2 -- OK

CB_FCS_CHAN3 -- OK

CB_FCS_CHAN4 -- OK

CB_LAUNCH_BAR -- not OK (cycles up/down instead of setting position)

CB_LG -- OK

CB_SPD_BRK -- OK

GEN_TIE_COVER -- OK

GEN_TIE_SW -- OK (when cover is up)

L_GEN_SW -- OK

PITOT_HEAT_SW -- OK

R_GEN_SW -- OK

APU_CONTROL_SW -- not OK (looks like you have it as pnt 409, but should be 375 but this doesn't help either.. the ENG ANTI ICE switch toggles the APU so something is not right between the two....)

LDG_TAXI_SW -- OK

STROBE_SW -- not OK - it should be a 3 position switch instead

APU_FIRE_BTN -- OK

FIRE_EXT_BTN -- OK

LEFT_FIRE_BTN -- OK (when cover is up)

LEFT_FIRE_BTN_COVER -- OK

RIGHT_FIRE_BTN -- OK (when cover is up)

RIGHT_FIRE_BTN_COVER -- OK

FUEL_DUMP_SW -- OK

INT_WNG_TANK_SW -- OK

ANTI_SKID -- OK

EMERGENCY_GEAR_ROTATE -- OK

EMERGENCY_PARKING_BRAKE_PULL -- unsure (something about this handle is strange)

EMERGENCY_PARKING_BRAKE_ROTATE -- OK

GEAR_DOWNLOCK_OVERRIDE -- OK

GEAR_LEVER -- OK

GEAR_SILENCE -- OK

HOOK_LEVER -- OK

LAUNCH_BAR -- not OK (Cycles up/down instead of setting position)

HUD_ALT_SW -- OK

HUD_SYM_BRT_SELECT -- OK

HYD_ISOLATE_OVERRIDE_SW -- OK

IFEI_DWN_BTN -- OK

IFEI_ET_BTN -- OK

IFEI_MODE_BTN -- OK

IFEI_QTY_BTN -- OK

IFEI_UP_BTN -- OK

IFEI_ZONE_BTN -- OK

INTERCOM_IFF_MASTER_SW -- OK

INTERCOM_ILS_UFC_MAN_SW -- OK

LEFT_DDI_PB_01 -- OK

LEFT_DDI_PB_02 -- OK

LEFT_DDI_PB_03 -- OK

LEFT_DDI_PB_04 -- OK

LEFT_DDI_PB_05 -- OK

LEFT_DDI_PB_06 -- OK

LEFT_DDI_PB_07 -- OK

LEFT_DDI_PB_08 -- OK

LEFT_DDI_PB_09 -- OK

LEFT_DDI_PB_10 -- OK

LEFT_DDI_PB_11 -- OK

LEFT_DDI_PB_12 -- OK

LEFT_DDI_PB_13 -- OK

LEFT_DDI_PB_14 -- OK

LEFT_DDI_PB_15 -- OK

LEFT_DDI_PB_16 -- OK

LEFT_DDI_PB_17 -- OK

LEFT_DDI_PB_18 -- OK

LEFT_DDI_PB_19 -- OK

LEFT_DDI_PB_20 -- OK

AUX_REL_SW -- OK

EMER_JETT -- OK

MASTER_ARM_SW -- OK

MASTER_MODE_AA -- OK

MASTER_MODE_AG -- OK

SEL_JETT_BTN -- OK

SJ_CTR -- OK

SJ_LI -- OK

SJ_LO -- OK

SJ_RI -- OK

SJ_RO -- OK

OBOGS_SW -- OK

RWR_BIT_BTN -- OK

RWR_DISPLAY_BTN -- OK

RWR_OFFSET_BTN -- OK

RWR_POWER_BTN -- OK

RWR_SPECIAL_BTN -- OK

RADALT_TEST_SW -- OK

RIGHT_DDI_PB_01 -- OK

RIGHT_DDI_PB_02 -- OK

RIGHT_DDI_PB_03 -- OK

RIGHT_DDI_PB_04 -- OK

RIGHT_DDI_PB_05 -- OK

RIGHT_DDI_PB_06 -- OK

RIGHT_DDI_PB_07 -- OK

RIGHT_DDI_PB_08 -- OK

RIGHT_DDI_PB_09 -- OK

RIGHT_DDI_PB_10 -- OK

RIGHT_DDI_PB_11 -- OK

RIGHT_DDI_PB_12 -- OK

RIGHT_DDI_PB_13 -- OK

RIGHT_DDI_PB_14 -- OK

RIGHT_DDI_PB_15 -- OK

RIGHT_DDI_PB_16 -- OK

RIGHT_DDI_PB_17 -- OK

RIGHT_DDI_PB_18 -- OK

RIGHT_DDI_PB_19 -- OK

RIGHT_DDI_PB_20 -- OK

SAI_CAGE -- OK

SAI_TEST_BTN -- OK

HUD_VIDEO_BIT -- OK

LEFT_VIDEO_BIT -- OK

LST_NFLR_SW -- OK

RIGHT_VIDEO_BIT -- OK

UFC_0 -- OK

UFC_1 -- OK

UFC_2 -- OK

UFC_3 -- OK

UFC_4 -- OK

UFC_5 -- OK

UFC_6 -- OK

UFC_7 -- OK

UFC_8 -- OK

UFC_9 -- OK

UFC_AP -- OK

UFC_BCN -- OK

UFC_CLR -- OK

UFC_COMM1_PULL -- OK

UFC_COMM2_PULL -- OK

UFC_DL -- OK

UFC_EMCON --OK

UFC_ENT -- OK

UFC_IFF -- OK

UFC_ILS -- OK

UFC_IP -- OK

UFC_ONOFF -- OK

UFC_OS1 -- OK

UFC_OS2 -- OK

UFC_OS3 -- OK

UFC_OS4 -- OK

UFC_OS5 -- OK

UFC_TCN -- OK

3 position switches (position 0/down, pos 1/middle, pos 2/up)

Those that do work exhibit same desync issue as noted in here if toggled too fast, possibly due to animation cycle falling behind.

AMPCD_CONT_SW -- OK

AMPCD_GAIN_SW -- OK

AMPCD_NIGHT_DAY -- OK

AMPCD_SYM_SW -- OK

COMM1_ANT_SELECT_SW -- OK

IFF_ANT_SELECT_SW -- OK

CMSD_DISPENSE_SW -- OK

COCKKPIT_LIGHT_MODE_SW -- OK

CANOPY_SW -- pos 0/down not OK -- pos 1/middle OK -- pos 2/up OK

SEAT_HEIGHT_SW -- pos 0/down not OK -- pos 1/middle OK -- pos 2/up OK

FLAP_SW -- OK

WING_FOLD_ROTATE -- OK (after being pulled out first)

CABIN_PRESS_SW -- OK

ECS_MODE_SW -- OK

WSHIELD_ANTI_ICE_SW -- OK

BATTERY_SW -- OK

EXT_PWR_SW -- pos 0/down OK -- pos 1/middle OK -- pos 2/up not OK

GND_PWR_1_SW -- pos 0/down not OK -- pos 1/middle OK -- pos 2/up OK

GND_PWR_2_SW -- pos 0/down not OK -- pos 1/middle OK -- pos 2/up OK

GND_PWR_3_SW -- pos 0/down not OK -- pos 1/middle OK -- pos 2/up OK

GND_PWR_4_SW -- pos 0/down not OK -- pos 1/middle OK -- pos 2/up OK

MC_SW -- pos 0/down not OK -- pos 1/middle OK -- pos 2/up OK

ENGINE_CRANK_SW -- pos 0/left not OK -- pos 1/middle OK -- pos 2/right OK

ENG_ANTIICE_SW -- not ok in any position (cycles APU ON/OFF instead!!)

FIRE_TEST_SW -- pos 0/down not OK -- pos 1/middle not OK -- pos 2/up not OK

EXT_CNT_TANK_SW -- OK

EXT_WNG_TANK_SW -- OK

PROBE_SW -- OK

HUD_ATT_SW -- OK

HUD_SYM_REJ_SW -- pos 0/down OK -- pos 1/middle not OK -- pos 2/up OK

HUD_VIDEO_CONTROL_SW -- pos 0/down OK -- pos 1/middle not OK -- pos 2/up OK

INTERCOM_CRYPTO_SW -- pos 0/down not OK -- pos 1/middle OK -- pos 2/up OK

INTERCOM_IFF_MODE4_SW -- OK

KY58_POWER_SELECT -- OK

LEFT_DDI_BRT_SELECT -- OK

LEFT_DDI_CRS_SW -- pos 0/left not OK -- pos 1/middle and pos 2/right OK

LEFT_DDI_HDG_SW -- pos 0/left not OK -- pos 1/middle and pos 2/right OK

IR_COOL_SW -- OK

RIGHT_DDI_BRT_SELECT -- OK

FLIR_SW -- pos 0/down OK -- pos 1/middle not OK -- pos 2/up OK

MODE_SELECTOR_SW -- OK

SELECT_HMD_LDDI_RDDI -- OK

SELECT_HUD_LDDI_RDDI -- OK

UFC_ADF -- OK

So some switches are not behaving.. Maybe DCS BIOS needs to be tweaked to handle the new switch definitions? Perhaps some of the guys with more insight into 'the lua' can figure it out :)

Yes they have added a lot of new switch types, and a lot of my time was spent looking into those definitions to see what changes I needed to make in the dcs-bios settings to work with the new changes. To be honest most of them are simply changing things like the switch sounds so it doesn't really matter for dcs-bios's purposes.

Thanks for doing that testing. Did you have the latest version of the files, because the errors you are seeing in those 3 positions switches tells me that you probably aren't (they were fixed in the last update).

I will look into the other switches though, I tested them all using the dcs-bios live view and they worked there but there is a possibility that real switches work differently. So thanks again for saving me the effort of testing them all with real switches.

OK I have written custom lua code to fix every button other than the HUD VIDEO and FLIR switches, these appear to be broken badly inside the module code and do not respond to commands the way they should. I will attempt to log a bug for them and hopefully they will be fixed in a future release.

I have NOT updated the archive in the first post, I am going to complete the reorganisation into panel groups tomorrow and then I will update it.

Thanks for doing that testing. Did you have the latest version of the files, because the errors you are seeing in those 3 positions switches tells me that you probably aren't (they were fixed in the last update).

NP. Just tested again. Seems I did had the old archive :huh:

Most switches work, but these are still broken. I think you are aware of them already though:

2 position

APU_CONTROL_SW -- cycles positions instead of setting (ED module issue)

STROBE_SW -- you have it as a 2 position switch, it has 3 positions in the sim

EMERGENCY_PARKING_BRAKE_PULL -- rotates the switch.. not sure what's up

LAUNCH_BAR -- cycles positions instead of setting (ED module issue)

PITOT_HEAT_SW -- cycles positions instead of setting (ED module issue)

3 position

MC_SW -- no action

HUD_SYM_REJ_SW -- pos 0/down OK -- pos 1/middle not OK -- pos 2/up OK

HUD_VIDEO_CONTROL_SW -- pos 0/down OK -- pos 1/middle not OK -- pos 2/up OK

FLIR_SW -- no action

OK I have written custom lua code to fix every button other than the HUD VIDEO and FLIR switches, these appear to be broken badly inside the module code and do not respond to commands the way they should. I will attempt to log a bug for them and hopefully they will be fixed in a future release.

I have NOT updated the archive in the first post, I am going to complete the reorganisation into panel groups tomorrow and then I will update it.

Great :thumbup: keep it up!

Yep aware of all of those, new version updated and every switch except for HUD VIDEO and FLIR is working with my new custom code ... even Eject :)

New version uploaded.

I have completely reworked the control groupings so that it matches the layout in the NATOPS manual and so that controls/indicators etc are grouped by panel. This has resulted in renaming quite a few controls, so sorry for anyone who already has sketches made up. But I won't be changing them any more.

I've got some info from Capt Zeen to set me on the right path, and the next step is to get the other (non indicator) outputs working.

Final (for now) version uploaded. Can't see that there should need to be many changes from this point forward.

Andrew,

OUTSTANDING work for getting it done!

All I need to do now is try and work out how to use DCS Bios! But Im sure its going to be fun at least there is something to work with and practice on.

previously I had tried to make the Arduino act as a joystick and assign buttons, However that dont work in all situations.

Thanks for the kinds words.

A basic DCS-BIOS sketch is very simple to get up and running.

I highly recommend following this tutorial before you dig into anything more complex.

http://dcs-bios.a10c.de/docs/v0.7.0/userguide.html

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Just for your info.

In the last update (18-JUL-2018 ) ED changed the numbers of the devices from the 38 till 56.

So probably youll need to fix that in your DCSBios code

Thanks mate, I am downloading the update now and will make changes and upload as soon as I can.