fuel-qty switch is bugged - ED Forums

Notices

Old 07-18-2018, 08:33 PM   #1
Shepherd

Default fuel-qty switch is bugged

Only tried single player - The fuel-qty switch has no function.

The fuel gauge reads fuel levels no matter the condition of the switch. When the switch is in the off position the gauge works as if it is switched to on.
Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 12:10 AM   #2
dillio

I think this is correct operation. The switch activates the fuel metering device which measures what actually goes to the engines and decreases the indicator accordingly. The fuel gauge does not measure the fuel in the tank like a car does. Instead it is set before flight and "counts down" from input from the fuel metering.

I remember older versions of the Shark that behaved like you're describing, but I believe the current behavior is correct. The test if it's working or not is not whether the gauge moves when you turn it off or on, but whether the fuel level decreases as the fuel is used. If the fuel level decreases with the switch to OFF then it is possibly a bug.

Last edited by dillio; 07-19-2018 at 12:15 AM.
dillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 06:00 PM   #3
Erforce
ED Translator

It's working as intended. If switched off, you won't notice fuel going down over time. Nothing more.
BlackShark 2 1.2.x Bug and glitches thread (v1.2.7)
Erforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 12:10 AM   #4
Sh4rk

Page 13-17 of the manual.

Item 6. Fuel quantity is metered at the tanks, like in car. If it was metered at the valves, you wouldn't see the needles move while the aircraft is fueled up, or as the tanks are emptied by asking the ground crew to remove fuel.

But yeah the needles won't move at all (up nor down) when the proper switch is turned off, so it's working as intended.

If you refuel with the switch off, or fly for some time, the needles are only going to update when you turn it back on.
Sh4rk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 12:42 AM   #5
dillio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh4rk View Post
Item 6. Fuel quantity is metered at the tanks, like in car. If it was metered at the valves, you wouldn't see the needles move while the aircraft is fueled up, or as the tanks are emptied by asking the ground crew to remove fuel.
Right, good point. I was thinking about how this would work and why the needles would move with fueling. However, I don't know about your car but mine does not meter fuel at the tank, it just has a "sending unit" to measure and report the amount of fuel in the tank. There's different ways to do this but I think mine has a float on top of the gasoline. (I have a pretty old car!)

I don't think the Shark has this manner of fuel measurement. Only the fuel meter to keep track of what goes in and out of the tanks. If the meter is turned off while fuel is moving, the indicator will not be accurate.

This is just the kind of detail in this simulation that still blows me away after all these years! I've been flying the Shark since about 2010 and I can still learn about something like this. To me the Ka-50 is still the definitive DCS module.
Old 07-20-2018, 02:58 AM   #6
AlphaOneSix
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillio View Post
I don't think the Shark has this manner of fuel measurement.
It does, just not using a float. It uses a capacitive fuel level sensor in the forward and aft tanks.
AlphaOneSix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 01:46 PM   #7
BaD CrC
ED Translator

This fuel meter bug report brings me back years and years ago when the fuel meter behavior was changed this way to reflect the real thing (was it still BS1 or BS2?). What a mess it was on the forum for weeks about that! Good old times.
Old 07-20-2018, 02:40 PM   #8
dillio

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaOneSix View Post
It does, just not using a float. It uses a capacitive fuel level sensor in the forward and aft tanks.
I couldn't find this in the manual, are you sure? If this is so then why can't the fuel qty gauge read independently of the fuel metering system?
Old 07-20-2018, 04:25 PM   #9
msalama
Veteran

Pssst... the guy is a RL Mi-8 crew chief so he does incidentally know a thing or two about helicopters
Old 07-20-2018, 04:45 PM   #10
dillio

That's fine but my question stands: if the fuel qty is measured by capacitance in the tanks then why don't the gauges read from that measurement? What is the purpose of the fuel level sensor if not for pilot indication? Is it just for the 110 kg warning?