VR IPD setting explanation and why you need it

Pikey

8 hours ago, some1 said:

What we have in game is the virtual IPD adjustment. It does indeed change the sense of scale, hence the confusion https://xinreality.com/wiki/Interpupillary_distance#Virtual_IPD

Yes.  Thank you for that.  IPD is IPD.  You have an eye spacing distance IRL and in the virtual world (via two eyeball cameras).  But either way it's still IPD.  And yes, changing the virtual IPD has the effect of making objects feel smaller or larger.

Again, for some fun.  Try to  "Go on a dogfight server during busy hours and use IPD 2000, then go to F2/F5 mode.  It's like watching miniature airplanes battle."

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 11/7/2019 at 10:04 AM, Lace said:

My point is that when people are claiming something 'feels' wrong with no real-world experience, perhaps it is actually their preconceptions which are wrong.

Not sure I can agre with this, I've not sat in an F-16 cockpit or F-18 irl but in game vr the F-16 feels really tiny compared tot he F-18, and the Huey feels huge with really big gauges in comparison, as does the Mi-8.

On 11/7/2019 at 10:04 AM, Lace said:

My point is that when people are claiming something 'feels' wrong with no real-world experience, perhaps it is actually their preconceptions which are wrong.

Not sure I can agre with this, I've not sat in an F-16 cockpit or F-18 irl but in game vr the F-16 feels really tiny compared tot he F-18, and the Huey feels huge with really big gauges in comparison, as does the Mi-8.