Oculus Go with DCS?

I'm looking at VR as an option to allow me to look around the cockpit better (especially with the F-14 releasing soon™) and I can't help but feel bad about the Rift and Vive's price. The Oculus Go is much cheaper, but does it even work with DCS? I've heard that it's also only 3 degrees of freedom. How much does that affect gameplay?

It would be like buying a VW Bug and expecting a Ferrari's performance.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

Oculus Go is not a PC peripheral. It is a stand alone device similar to a small tablet with a head mount (something you can achieve to some degree with a good cell phone).

The Rift and Vive are relatively low in graphics quality compared to a 2d display. But they are so immersive that many, perhaps even most are prepared to give up graphics quality for 1:1 head tracking, wide field-of-view, and stereoscopic 3d.

If you have the money and/or a PC able to support them, I would consider a Rift or Vive. Even with their limitations, they provide a fantastic experience that cannot be replicated with TrackIR and a monitor.

If you are tight on money, keep flying 2d and remain blissfully ignorant of what VR really has to offer.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

a rift is one third the price of a ultrawide..

so I bought a rift instead of an ultrawide. and have not flown 2d since.

or even looked at new monitors..

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

• 1 year later...

This is technically not true. I am currently using an Oculus go to vr in DCS world. it works freakishly well actually. There are a few apps and some minor tweaks but it is totally possible to stream DCS world to the go. Mind you only have 3 DOF but it is still a step up over track IR without the expense of a rift or a vive.

Here is how.

Edited by TheOtherSider

Used Rift CV1's are selling for the price of a Go now .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

I think every system has a proper application. Oculus Go must be great to play Beat Saber.

But I don´t see the point using it for DCS and other flightsims and simracing.

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

I think every system has a proper application. Oculus Go must be great to play Beat Saber.

But I don´t see the point using it for DCS and other flightsims and simracing.

As I stated, it works fine DCS world. Points to above post with accompanying youtube vids on how to do it and to demonstrate it working.

I literally just flew a hornet and a black shark for like 5 hours with an Oculus go.

As I stated, it works fine DCS world. Points to above post with accompanying youtube vids on how to do it and to demonstrate it working.

I literally just flew a hornet and a black shark for like 5 hours with an Oculus go.

I mean, you need a computer to plug in your HOTAS system and other controllers, right? that´s where I think Go loses the battle.

Or maybe Im plainly wrong; it could be the same case when other guys affirm MFD Cougars are irrelevant and useless when using VR, but for me they work perfect and despite being "blind", I use them based on muscle memory.

So, how is it? ;)

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

I mean, you need a computer to plug in your HOTAS system and other controllers, right? that´s where I think Go loses the battle.

Or maybe Im plainly wrong; it could be the same case when other guys affirm MFD Cougars are irrelevant and useless when using VR, but for me they work perfect and despite being "blind", I use them based on muscle memory.

So, how is it? ;)

You cant use the Head set to play DCS with out your PC. What you are instead doing is running a program that streams Steam vr to your head set. My PC is still running everything my HOTAS and DCS world its self.

So, how is it? ;)

As an aside what are your DCS setting for VR? I have exactly the same system as you PC wise. I am having trouble gettiing a smooth frame rate in DCS in VR

As an aside what are your DCS setting for VR? I have exactly the same system as you PC wise. I am having trouble gettiing a smooth frame rate in DCS in VR

First of all, press Alt+Enter to go fullscreen, I have very bad performance otherwise.

Second, I don´t fly on massive MP servers, I have 3-6 sqnmates mostly. Missions tend to be small(no Inferno, GAW, etc...)

I use Oculus Tray Tool to set a Pixel Density of 1.5 and CPU high priority.

In-game settings:

585981729_DCS2019-07-2320-17-02-75.thumb.png.ca7db44155b2253568bf7398972b43c1.png

First of all, press Alt+Enter to go fullscreen, I have very bad performance otherwise.

Second, I don´t fly on massive MP servers, I have 3-6 sqnmates mostly. Missions tend to be small(no Inferno, GAW, etc...)

I use Oculus Tray Tool to set a Pixel Density of 1.5 and CPU high priority.

In-game settings:

Ah, thanks it took alot of the chop out of it :)

anyone tried a quest? would be nice to set up my hotas gear on the patio and a long usb extender

ALVR the program I use to stream DCS to my Oculus go works with The Quest so I don't see a reason why it wouldn't work for DCS. the quest would likely work better since it has 6 dof.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

sorry I know old thread, but I had the quest for a short while, and it seems to be the go to, since it has an oled , no thanks to rift s. I might add that I had top of the line wifi equipment, that might be the only downfall for some

• 3 months later...

Hi, i bought an oculus go 64 giga but i can't get it to work on dcs open beta nor on other versions. i tried with the links you put but it can't connect to the server. My pc has the following features: asus intel core i7 2.2 GHz, 16gb ram, 500gb ssd hard drive, geforce gt 630m 2gb and windows10 and as an internet connection I have adsl speed 90 mega.

Could you kindly help me on how to install oculus go on dcs?

thank you.