[REPORTED] Do ACM modes work with AMRAAMS? - ED Forums

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-21-2019, 03:26 PM   #1
Pooter03

Default [REPORTED] Do ACM modes work with AMRAAMS?

I've been having trouble getting locks in WVR combat. My typical loadout has been 4xAMRAAM, 2xGBU-10, fuel (hooray for jettision!) and a pod. If I get jumped by a hostile and get to WVR range, I have a hard time getting lock, whether trying to slew onto the brick in CRM or switching to ACM and trying any of the different modes. In boresite, I'll have the boresite cross directly on the hostile and will not get a lock.

Is this because I'm doing something wrong, ACM mode is buggy, or it only works with Sidewinders/gun? (even with the latter, locking seems haphazard.)
Old 10-21-2019, 04:22 PM   #2
kengou

It's because ACM and radar in general are WIP. It should definitely work with AMRAAMs.

Hangar: A-10A | A-10C | AJS-37 | AV-8B II NA | F-14 | F-15C | F-16C | F-5E II | F/A-18C | FW-190D-9 | KA-50 | M-2000C | MI-8MTV2 | MiG-15bis | MiG-21bis | MiG-29 | P-51D | UH-1H | SU-27

Cockpit: CH Fighterstick | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5
Old 10-21-2019, 04:48 PM   #3
Wags
ED Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooter03 View Post
I've been having trouble getting locks in WVR combat. My typical loadout has been 4xAMRAAM, 2xGBU-10, fuel (hooray for jettision!) and a pod. If I get jumped by a hostile and get to WVR range, I have a hard time getting lock, whether trying to slew onto the brick in CRM or switching to ACM and trying any of the different modes. In boresite, I'll have the boresite cross directly on the hostile and will not get a lock.

Is this because I'm doing something wrong, ACM mode is buggy, or it only works with Sidewinders/gun? (even with the latter, locking seems haphazard.)
Please provide a track file and we'll be happy to take a look. I just tested and I'm not having an issue getting a lock from ACM BORE mode against a target wtihin 10 nm.

Thanks
Old 10-21-2019, 06:09 PM   #4
Pooter03

OK. I believe it was around 11:44:31 when I switched to guns out of frustration. Before and after I was in boresight and never got a lock.

I'll try again tonight and make better notes if this track isn't helpful.
Old 10-21-2019, 06:35 PM   #5
Wags
ED Team

Please provide a short and to-the-point track from single player.

Thanks
Old 10-22-2019, 12:17 AM   #6
Pooter03

OK, I've got 2 tracks:
Ramp.zip.acmi: Cold start on the ramp. Got within 3 miles and no lock using ACM boresite.
Flight.zip.acmi: Started in flight. ACM boresite locked immediately when I was in range.

Problem seems to happen only when starting cold on the ramp. 99% of my time playing is in multiplayer on servers that start you cold on the ramp, so it didn't occur to me to check SP starting in-flight until now. I attached a couple of screenshots with the tracks. Please let me know if you need any more info.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Tacview.zip (3.94 MB, 16 views)
Old 10-22-2019, 12:27 AM   #7
EvanWeeks

I just tested the crap out of it with a Mig-21, and I was able to get locks in 30x20, 10x60 and boresight with AIM-120s selected without TOO much problems. My only gripe right now is that if I DO lock up a target in ACM mode (with AIM-120s selected) and then subsequently LOSE that lock, the radar defaults back to CRM mode, and I have to go dogfight switch inboard, then outboard again to re-select ACM.

Then there's the annoyance of trying to get into a good firing position for a slammer when in the merge, but that's a different problem altogether.

Edit: my test was an air-start.
Old 10-22-2019, 01:32 AM   #8
NineLine
Community Manager

Can you guys share the mission you were using and in-sim track, please?
ED Facebook PageED YouTube PageWags YouTubeMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine #0440
**How to Report a Bug**
Old 10-22-2019, 03:42 AM   #9
Pooter03

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineLine View Post
Can you guys share the mission you were using and in-sim track, please?
Unfortunately, I didn't save the missions. I just created a new mission on easy, disabled all planes and vehicles except for red attack planes at maximum, gave myself a couple of 120Cs. The first time (ACM not working) I had it set to cold and dark. The second I had it start in air.

I attached the two tracks earlier, you are looking for something different?
Old 10-22-2019, 04:12 AM   #10
NineLine
Community Manager

Looking for actual replay files from the sim, tacview doesn't help if I have to submit, I will try and reproduce the issue tonight.
ED Facebook PageED YouTube PageWags YouTubeMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine #0440
**How to Report a Bug**
Closed Thread

Tags
acm, f16, f16c, missiles, radar