DCS F-5E ADF behavior is different from what is written in the manual - ED Forums

Notices

Old 09-30-2019, 07:56 AM   #1
Northwind

Default DCS F-5E ADF behavior is different from what is written in the manual

DCS F-5E ADF behavior is different from what is written in the manual( T.O. 1F-5E-1 and DCS F-5E manual).
To use ADF navigation, the DCS F-5E need to rotate the UHF Radio Function Selector to the ADF position and the NAV MODE selector to the DF position.
When the NAV MODE selector in the DF position, the MAIN and BOTH positions of the UHF Radio Function Selector does not activate the ADF navigation.

However

On T.O. 1F-5E-1,Page 115,item 2 is written:
Quote:
UHF Radio Function Selector ADF - Relative bearing to tuned station is displayed on HSI. Nonfunctional on aircraft with UHF DF selection on NAV MODE selector.
Page 109,item 8 is written:
Quote:
Function Selector ADF - Relative bearing to tuned station is displayed on HSI (some aircraft nonfunctional).
Page 116,item 9 is written(Same as DCS F-5E manual,different from DCS F-5E actual behavior):
Quote:
NAV MODE Selector DF - HSI bearing pointer points to UHF station selected on UHF radio with radio function selector in MAIN or BOTH.
So,ADF position of UHF Radio Function Selector is Nonfunctional on aircraft with UHF DF selection on NAV MODE selector.
This means when the NAV MODE selector in the DF position,the MAIN and BOTH positions of the UHF Radio Function Selector should activate the ADF navigation.The ADF position of the UHF Radio Function Selector is unknown.

DCS F-5E with UHF DF selection on NAV MODE selector.
RL F-5E in T.O. 1F-5E-1 and DCS F-5E equipped with the AN/ARC-164 UHF radio, AN/ARA-50 UHF/ADF automatic direction finder,and RL F-5E are equipped AN/ARN-118 TACAN systems(The pictures and examples in the manual are AN/ARN-1 1 8 ),DCS F-5E equipped TACAN AN/ARC(N)-118 NAVIGATION SYSTEM.

Did I make a mistake? Or DCS F-5E simulates different variant?
Or the behavior of the F-5E ADF does not match the manual( T.O. 1F-5E-1 and DCS F-5E manual).

Last edited by Northwind; 09-30-2019 at 08:41 AM.
Northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 02:50 PM   #2
tom_19d

Northwind, I think you may have found a problem here. I have always used the ADF by selecting "DF" and "ADF" but that was self taught, I never read the manual carefully. However, I agree with your assessment that according to the TO you should only have to select "DF" and the ADF should be functional with the radio function selector still set at MAIN or BOTH.

I am away from home but I will test this when I can with the manual open.

Asus Z97-A - I7 4790K - 32 GB HyperX - EVGA GTX 1080 Ti - Corsair 750i PSU

TM Warthog HOTAS - TM Cougar MFDs - CH Pedals - TrackIR 5 - Samsung RU8000 55”
tom_19d is offline   Reply With Quote