Engine Sounds - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 10-10-2019, 01:51 PM   #21
hazzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by btd View Post
Many thanks DD_Fenrir for the detailed answer. As a sound designer - I fully agree to your every word)
Yes, flybys sound recorded from the ground is useless for us. We should re-create it by many sounds and sound engine and a lot of code. It is not too simple.
But we do not stand still. Each new module released sounds better than the previous one. And I'm sure you will really like the sound of the P47 from a series of WW2-birds. There we were able to improve the sound scheme specifically for flybys.
Some modules were released many years ago. Therefore, their level is slightly behind modern. We will upgrade their sound necessarily as soon as free time appears.

I really don’t know a simulator where flybys would sound better than ours. Especially in jets.
This is my point. The older modules are lacking in the sound quality. They are long overdue for an upgrade. I have noticed many sound mods which put the sounds closer to reality than the default sounds, which are developed by one single person so I do not understand why a company with access to the aircraft is so off.

I can think of at least 2 sims which have slightly better sounds on their ww2 aircraft however I cannot mention them due to rule breaking.

The F18 and F16 sounds are really good and are a vast improvement on times past. It is important to be able to recognise when things need to be improved.

Last edited by hazzer; 10-10-2019 at 01:53 PM.
hazzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 02:51 PM   #22
btd
ED Team

Sorry, but we also have one person making sounds. It's me. And I do not make one module, but a large number of them. There are also sounds of weather, tanks, ships, helicopters, nature, shots, damage, water, radio chatters, for missions and many many others. There are already many thousands of them. Ah ... sometimes I also write music for modules. Unfortunately, I cannot always update what was done many years ago. But always, when there is time, I do it. Recently, for example, the MiG-29 was updated. I hope you enjoyed the new sound.
Anyway, you can always use sound mods, if you like it. DCS is much more than me with my sounds. This is its charm

Last edited by btd; 10-10-2019 at 02:54 PM.
btd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 03:37 PM   #23
philstyle

Quote:
Sorry, but we also have one person making sounds. It's me. And I do not make one module, but a large number of them. There are also sounds of weather, tanks, ships, helicopters, nature, shots, damage, water, radio chatters, for missions and many many others. There are already many thousands of them. Ah ... sometimes I also write music for modules. Unfortunately, I cannot always update what was done many years ago. But always, when there is time, I do it. Recently, for example, the MiG-29 was updated. I hope you enjoyed the new sound.
Anyway, you can always use sound mods, if you like it. DCS is much more than me with my sounds. This is its charm

If you ever wantd help with sound development.. there are quiet a few of us in the community with high-end audio gear (musicians etc..) . . just sayin'

Current: AMD 3700x, GTX 1080Ti, 32GB 3200 RAM, Auros Pro X570, 2TB M.2 drive
Previous build: i5-6600k, GTX 1080Ti, 16BG 2666 RAM, ASUS Maximus XIII Ranger Mobo
philstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 04:12 PM   #24
btd
ED Team

Your help is testing carefully and write about it. And of course you can always write me in PM.
In this topic, the author wants us to make sounds from other models of engines than in our simulator. This only complicates the work, taking time that is always missing
btd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 05:13 PM   #25
grafspee

Quote:
Your help is testing carefully and write about it. And of course you can always write me in PM.
In this topic, the author wants us to make sounds from other models of engines than in our simulator. This only complicates the work, taking time that is always missing
Applying sound of Griffon Spitfire(5 blade prop) to Merlin Spitfire(4 blade prop) make no sense for me anyway.
grafspee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 05:22 PM   #26
hazzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by grafspee View Post
Applying sound of Griffon Spitfire(5 blade prop) to Merlin Spitfire(4 blade prop) make no sense for me anyway.
Nobody was saying that. The discussion has been about improving the sounds. Not making something unrealistic. The original post may have had a video with the incorrect engined aircraft but the point still stands that the sounds of the war birds are not as close as they could be to the real life counterparts
Old 10-10-2019, 06:07 PM   #27
grafspee

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazzer View Post
Nobody was saying that. The discussion has been about improving the sounds. Not making something unrealistic. The original post may have had a video with the incorrect engined aircraft but the point still stands that the sounds of the war birds are not as close as they could be to the real life counterparts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinofilms View Post
Please use the engine sounds from this video. It would make me so happy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDeglorsv_8

this video contain sound of 2 planes griffon spit and fw190 replica
I think some one said that
grafspee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 06:12 PM   #28
hazzer

Quote:
this video contain sound of 2 planes griffon spit and fw190 replica
I think some one said that
Yes but like I said in the rest of that post that you just quoted "The original post may have had a video with the incorrect engined aircraft but the point still stands that the sounds of the war birds are not as close as they could be to the real life counterparts"

I'm not going to continue this discussion here since it is clear that we are both set in our ways and are sure in our answers. If they decided to one day update the sounds to a higher standard great. If not I will live, would've been nice is all, I'm not the only one who thinks they need improving, have discussed it many times on here and reddit with people agreeing.

Thanks anyway.
Old 10-10-2019, 06:18 PM   #29
Yo-Yo
ED Team

Quote:
Right.

And we do have a lot of sounds recorded from 4 bladed Merlin Spit IX or similar models.
Yo-Yo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 06:54 PM   #30
Yo-Yo
ED Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazzer View Post
Yes but like I said in the rest of that post that you just quoted "The original post may have had a video with the incorrect engined aircraft but the point still stands that the sounds of the war birds are not as close as they could be to the real life counterparts"

I'm not going to continue this discussion here since it is clear that we are both set in our ways and are sure in our answers. If they decided to one day update the sounds to a higher standard great. If not I will live, would've been nice is all, I'm not the only one who thinks they need improving, have discussed it many times on here and reddit with people agreeing.

Thanks anyway.

As a man who listened prop planes for hundreds of hours, from few meters (including zero boost runs) to normal airshow distance, I can say that you never can feel the same as you feel the sound with your breast... Or you must have hundreds of watts and huge speakers in your room.
As it was written before, the sound in a simulation can not replicate the original sound using only original samples, because of very complicated conditions the original sound is generated in. Boost, rpm, prop pitch, prop loading, etc. That's why the original samples are disassembled and then reassembled again to make the resulting sound
a) distinctive (so, in DCS Spitfires, Mustangs and other props are absolutely recognisable with closed eyes);
b) informative - one can hear rpm and boost changes;
c) as close to the original samples as possible.

Flyby sound in DCS, I think, now is really the best, because we have implemented most speed of sound related effects.

And, finally, our sound creator, btd, I think, has a lot of live prop aircraft audition hours for reference.
Yo-Yo is offline   Reply With Quote