Significant reduction in rudder required on takeoff ? - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 08-19-2019, 05:19 AM   #21
bbrz

Doesn't look like a bug to me. Applying full power you need to apply quite a bit a left rudder to keep her straight, as expected.

With increasing speed the rudder trim tab starts to take effect and pushes the rudder a bit to the left, which decreases the need to manually apply left rudder.

At higher speeds in the takeoff run you don't need to apply any rudder at all and if you accelerate further you need to apply right rudder.

Except for the intitial trim tab & prop wash caused rudder movement, I don't notice any movement on its own at all.

The only bug seems to be the adjustable trim tab in the menu that still has no effect.
bbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 10:53 PM   #22
TheSkipjack95

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrz View Post
Doesn't look like a bug to me. Applying full power you need to apply quite a bit a left rudder to keep her straight, as expected.

With increasing speed the rudder trim tab starts to take effect and pushes the rudder a bit to the left, which decreases the need to manually apply left rudder.

At higher speeds in the takeoff run you don't need to apply any rudder at all and if you accelerate further you need to apply right rudder.

Except for the intitial trim tab & prop wash caused rudder movement, I don't notice any movement on its own at all.

The only bug seems to be the adjustable trim tab in the menu that still has no effect.

To my knowledge, trim tabs still have no effect in DCS, and even if they did, I had very bizarre behaviour even with the engine off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Re2g24s5Ljo
TheSkipjack95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 08:02 PM   #23
Magnatilla

That looks so very broken.....

I guess you've tried mapping the rudder to different keys, and maybe try a DCS_updater.exe repair?
Old 08-23-2019, 11:40 AM   #24
bbrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSkipjack95 View Post
To my knowledge, trim tabs still have no effect in DCS, and even if they did, I had very bizarre behaviour even with the engine off.
That's what I've wrote about the trim tabs, but I'm not seeing anything even remotely similar to you rudder movement and it's not clear to me what you are doing or trying to prove.
Old 08-24-2019, 07:37 PM   #25
TheSkipjack95

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrz View Post
That's what I've wrote about the trim tabs, but I'm not seeing anything even remotely similar to you rudder movement and it's not clear to me what you are doing or trying to prove.

All I'm trying to prove is that my Yak 52 has an essentially broken rudder for me when the only sin I committed is updating my game.
TheSkipjack95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 07:51 AM   #26
bbrz

What sin? I'm also using the latest beta. What I was trying to say is that I couldn't really see what you were trying to achieve with the various key-presses and what was actually happening as a result.
Old 08-25-2019, 08:27 PM   #27
huppel

I noticed the same thing yesterday. And it is not only the yak, was playing with the Bf 109 and Spitfire IX as well and takeoff was definitely much easier (takeoff assistance and autorudder fully off).
huppel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 12:22 AM   #28
AeriaGloria

Huppel you sure you don’t have the new auto trim enable under settings for all planes?
AeriaGloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 10:28 PM   #29
huppel

Okay, checked and the auto trim is off (didn't even know it was there).

It looks like the yaw on throttle application is much less aggressive.

But perhaps it is just my imagination, hadn't flown any of the props for a while but I always had trouble taking of without crashing and now I can successfully take off without problems. Perhaps I'm just getting better at it
huppel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 04:51 AM   #30
bbrz

Yaw is rather strange on the DCS Yak. Without any rudder input the ball stays almost centered between 100 and 200km/h and full power.

IRL on all props I've flown IRL you need more rudder the closer you get to the stall speed.

In the DCS Yak I can fly with full power at 100km/h, stall buffet, feet on the floor and she still flies straight.

Tags
flight model, pfm, rudder