My engineering approach to a Hornet pit build project - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 06-24-2019, 01:39 PM   #11
AndyPeacock

Hi,

This is coming on so quickly and looks incredible! I'm in the middle of working out my own "cockpit" using a single 22 inch monitor, 3 cougar screens and some custom PCBs for the UFC. I'm planning on making mine a little more generic with cutouts for the cougars, some areas cutout for the UFC and some for general gauges to be generated using Ikarus. The problem I'm currently battling is how to minimise the height of the PCB and switch/encoders to make cutout for the ODUs not appear too deep.

Can I ask what type/brand of switches you are planning to use, and what caps? Are you doing custom stuff for this?

Andy
AndyPeacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 11:33 PM   #12
Alex_rcpilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPeacock View Post
Can I ask what type/brand of switches you are planning to use, and what caps? Are you doing custom stuff for this?
Hi, Andy. I'm using a 6x6mm tactile switch with an LED in the middle. I tried looking for an official model number or mfg info but couldn't find any. All the sellers just keep calling it the way it looks.

For the DDI and AMPCD button caps I couldn't find anything off the shelf that resembles them, so I've decided to custom build them all.
Alex_rcpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 02:53 AM   #13
Wick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_rcpilot View Post
Hi, Andy. I'm using a 6x6mm tactile switch with an LED in the middle. I tried looking for an official model number or mfg info but couldn't find any. All the sellers just keep calling it the way it looks.

For the DDI and AMPCD button caps I couldn't find anything off the shelf that resembles them, so I've decided to custom build them all.
Hi Alex, nice design. Would you be willing to let people use the design?
I've used the similar switch before: ALCOSWITCH FSMIJ63BPG04. This one is for green color. Let me know if you'd like the pcb footprint.
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 09:45 AM   #14
AndyPeacock

Thanks, I'll have a look at those. I assume you'll be 3D printing all the button hardware? That's not something I have looked into before. Might be time to experiment with that a little. Thanks and keep up the amazing work!
AndyPeacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 12:56 PM   #15
Alex_rcpilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wick View Post
Hi Alex, nice design. Would you be willing to let people use the design?
I've used the similar switch before: ALCOSWITCH FSMIJ63BPG04. This one is for green color. Let me know if you'd like the pcb footprint.
Hi Wick. Thank you and it's really nice of you offering the footprint. I've looked up FSMIJ63BPG04 and found out it comes in a through-hole configuration. The one I'm using is a surface mount type, I could pick from a bunch of different colors for the LED when placing the order. I've drawn its 3D model as well as PCB footprint when I received it. And, yes, please feel free to build on top of my ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPeacock View Post
Thanks, I'll have a look at those. I assume you'll be 3D printing all the button hardware? That's not something I have looked into before. Might be time to experiment with that a little. Thanks and keep up the amazing work!
Hi Andy, I'm not planning on using 3D printing with most parts in this cockpit. 3D printed plastic parts actually cost more, and are generally less dense. Surface smoothness and lots of small details need to be sacrificed to get the desired strength.

I've printed plenty of parts with different models of industrial 3D printers and sometimes experimental SLA printers. Frankly they are not my first choice for a densely populated instrument panel with sub-millimeter features everywhere.

There are a number of conventionaly processes and materials at my disposal. However, I'm still in the designing process and haven't decided what specific process to use for each part, but I will soon reveal the results of my actual build.

Last edited by Alex_rcpilot; 06-26-2019 at 12:00 AM.
Old 06-29-2019, 06:30 PM   #16
Alex_rcpilot

Got some of the PCBs fabricated. Soldering is also a time consuming task, but it's also the fun part.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-06-30 Solder Job.jpg
Views:	1449
Size:	690.1 KB
ID:	212892  
Old 07-06-2019, 09:53 PM   #17
Alex_rcpilot

I've found some time to power up a few core modules for an initial test.

The breakout card is hidden behind the UFC board. Most of the core modules are connected through FFC cables, while the peripheral cards will be hooked up with PH2.0 cable harnesses.

Most of the mechanical structures have gone through several more iterations during the past weeks, I must finalize the design on those PCB housing before having the rest of the PCBs fabricated. Since the main controller card is already complete, at least I can start writing the firmware and use the UFC for some debugging.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9046.jpg
Views:	1993
Size:	445.3 KB
ID:	213308   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9052.jpg
Views:	1358
Size:	486.0 KB
ID:	213309  
Old 07-08-2019, 11:22 AM   #18
Guppy

This is awesome!

A little advice, you might want to consider lowering the total height of the front console by 3". As someone with a pit, you'll find considerable head/eye strain if you dont have the monitor line up to a comfortable eye height over time. Your gauges/UFC/DDIs/etc are very important, but even more so is eyes outside the pit. You also do not want to be too far from your monitor either (as an attempt to keep it in a comfortable viewing angle), you'll find it more difficult to spot targets and wish you were closer.

Currently, my main monitor is the focal point and the UFC/DDIs are just a small eye glance down.
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 10:21 PM   #19
Alex_rcpilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy View Post
This is awesome!

A little advice, you might want to consider lowering the total height of the front console by 3". As someone with a pit, you'll find considerable head/eye strain if you dont have the monitor line up to a comfortable eye height over time. Your gauges/UFC/DDIs/etc are very important, but even more so is eyes outside the pit. You also do not want to be too far from your monitor either (as an attempt to keep it in a comfortable viewing angle), you'll find it more difficult to spot targets and wish you were closer.

Currently, my main monitor is the focal point and the UFC/DDIs are just a small eye glance down.
Hi Guppy, thanks for the advice. I've checked the line of sight in the model and there's indeed some obstruction by the HUD base between the head and the monitor. The mannequin used in the model measures only 5'8″ tall. good thing is both the monitor and the seat are adjustable. I didn't bother modeling the actual monitor I'm using, so I've made a duplicate of the same 28" monitor as the one sandwiched inside the front console.

The front console is designed to fit universally with commonplace computer desks and it's the first piece to be deployed in the setup. The monitor or potentially other forms of visual system should then be adjusted accordingly. Finally, when my friends drop by and try this setup, there's an electric cylinder integrated inside the seat for them to adjust with the flip of a toggle switch. I think it should solve the problem.
Old 07-20-2019, 09:42 PM   #20
RightStuff

Concerning seating position and focal point, this might be helpful:
https://photobucket.com/gallery/user...o4OTQ0OTE3NQ==
(found on Hornetpits.org)
RightStuff is offline   Reply With Quote