Old 10-20-2019, 06:19 PM   #381
Ala13_ManOWar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitMaster View Post
What does this mean actually?
If you read just before,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wags View Post
Base programming and testing should be finished next month. We'll then work on transferring our shaders to the new API. This is a very new technology for us, and it is quite possible that we will run into unforeseen issues during that phase. DCS World uses many complicated shaders that may not necessarily play nice with the Vulkan API.
it means they are transferring shaders since then because there's A LOT of them.

S!
Old 10-20-2019, 08:14 PM   #382
aileron

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitMaster View Post
What does this mean actually?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shader

I just got done reading it. Phew...
aileron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 04:29 AM   #383
Aluminum Donkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by aileron View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shader

I just got done reading it. Phew...

I'm still clueless, and I used to be really into this stuff a third of a century ago

AD
Asus Z170-P, i5-6600k at 4.5 GHz, 1.35V w/ CM Hyper 212 EVO, 2 x 8GB GSkill Ripjaws 4 @ 3000MHz 15-15-15-35, Zotac GTX 1080 Ti AMP Extreme Core Edition, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440 single screen, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!
Aluminum Donkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 06:51 AM   #384
sobek
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyfranky View Post
Could be useful to get a rough(!) idea about the expected performance increase in DCS.

Not even rough.

It would be like saying that your own house will be as great as your neighbour's, because you both built them using concrete. There's lots of other stuff to consider.

Last edited by sobek; 10-21-2019 at 06:54 AM.
sobek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 10:52 AM   #385
beppe_goodoldrebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluminum Donkey View Post
I'm still clueless, and I used to be really into this stuff a third of a century ago

AD
Pretty much DirectX Shaders have different programming language from Vulkan ones.

While basic implementation on engine has been declared done ( I assume using Vulkan libriaries and functions to render 3D ) thousands of shaders have to be converted in the new language.

Imagine every terrain , aircraft , ground unit , etc has it's own PBR shaders (at least ) it's a huge and long task.
beppe_goodoldrebel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 11:32 AM   #386
funkyfranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobek View Post
Not even rough.
It would be like saying that your own house will be as great as your neighbour's, because you both built them using concrete. There's lots of other stuff to consider.
Well, to stay in your picture, at least my neighbor demonstrated that it is possible to build a "great" house using concrete.

Of course, all flight sims are different but they share some common problems and challenges. The X-plane result shows that this genre can indeed profit from Vulkan. I find that encouraging - nothing more nothing less
funkyfranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 12:23 AM   #387
Rhino1980

Imagine being able to offload AI to one complete core, dynamic weather to another, comms to another etc, and a much more efficient rendering engine. How could it not be much better? I basically chose the 2700X in anticipation of this for DCS.

A-10 || F/A-18 || UH-1 || F-16 || Spitfire mk.ix || Fw190A8
Persian Gulf || Normandy || Nevada
Rhino1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 03:38 AM   #388
Worrazen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino1980 View Post
Imagine being able to offload AI to one complete core, dynamic weather to another, comms to another etc, and a much more efficient rendering engine. How could it not be much better? I basically chose the 2700X in anticipation of this for DCS.
Exactly, in general, many things could be done with splitting the splittable serial workloads that are still kinda together.

I've done some more testing though I kinda didn't yet get back on it, and I think there's more than just 2 cores being used as I previously thought, because I tested with a pure bareness with nothing happening, no missles firing, no airplanes flying, no sounds playing, no weather, just a mountaintop view, this time around I was actually analysing the practical gameplay session and it's quite a bit different, but I won't disclose any findings because of the exact same thing what this does, makes more speculation which would just contribute to trolls, by the time I go look at it again it might not be worth it any more if the new Vulkan API engine overhaul is just around the corner, and talking about the old state would kinda be pointless and would just distract from the excitement of the future.
DCS-Setup: Win10 x64 1607, 1440p@75"32, MOBO: Asus P9X79, CPU: Intel Core i7 3820 4.0GHz, GPU: Radeon RX 480 8GB, 24 GB RAM @ 1333 Mhz, DCS on SSD Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, Saitek Cyborg X/FLY5 joystick.
Worrazen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 07:36 AM   #389
98abaile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino1980 View Post
What's that got to do with Vulkan though? My understanding is that all this will help do is uncouple the graphics pipeline from the CPU.
98abaile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 10:21 AM   #390
BitMaster
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ala13_ManOWar View Post
If you read just before,

it means they are transferring shaders since then because there's A LOT of them.

S!
I am interested in what the actual shader work consists of, not about the DCS status. You misunderstood or I have not been clear enough.
Asus Strix Z370-E - Intel i7-8700K@5G_delidded - 32GB - Asus 1080GTX-Ti Poseidon - 1x 960Evo 250GB - 2x 850Pro 256GB Raid-0 - 1 x 840 Evo 250GB PageFile - 2x Seagate 2TB - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@4x180mm fans - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" WQHD Gsync 144Hz - Oculus Rift VR - Win10Pro64 - Slave to the Machine
BitMaster is offline   Reply With Quote