Aircraft models? (the plastic kind)

WelshZeCorgi

Not properly in DCS (yet :D) but some plastic stuff. Airfix 1/72, horrible plastic to work with, but finished.

attachment.php?attachmentid=218087&stc=1&d=1569852480

attachment.php?attachmentid=218088&stc=1&d=1569852480

attachment.php?attachmentid=218089&stc=1&d=1569852480

S!

IMG_20190912_114640.thumb.jpg.d22568a6cde506cf157096ff86d262e2.jpg

IMG_20190912_114846.thumb.jpg.c0a7c8702d149f75fd80b45dfaac6e24.jpg

IMG_20190912_114922.thumb.jpg.6bef96ba6c027494d12cfc0b580224a0.jpg

• Like 1

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

For example, the best A10C I can find is the one made by Italeri, but the cockpit comes from the A10A, as it doesn't have the double MFCDs on the dash.
There's an A-10C by Hasegawa in 1/72. Don't know if easily available but it's there.

I didn't pay attention to exact DCS models, but I think most of them are easily available since there's no rare aircraft (Su-25T and Ka-50 aside).

S!

Edited by Ala13_ManOWar

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

• 2 weeks later...
Amazing! What kit and scale?

Thanks! It's the Eduard Mig-21bis "Around the world" kit in 1/48.

I got the pilot figure from PJ Productions.

For example, the best A10C I can find is the one made by Italeri, but the cockpit comes from the A10A, as it doesn't have the double MFCDs on the dash.

I've bought the Italeri kit in fact, as it's supposed to be one of the better A-10C kits out there (Italeri isn't generally know for best accuracy generally).

Eduard makes a number of photo etched parts that gets the Italeri kit to an A-10C standard:

https://www.eduard.com/index.php?stoken=D9D8AED3&lang=1&currency=0&cl=search&listorderby=oxarticles.oxactivefrom&listorder=desc&sendSearchForm=1&searchparam=a-10c

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

Airfix 1/72, horrible plastic to work with, but finished.
I'm starting out in model making and have only tried Airfix models so far. What is better about the other manufacturer's plastic, and what sort of difference does it make to the making process?

PC specs:

I'm starting out in model making and have only tried Airfix models so far. What is better about the other manufacturer's plastic, and what sort of difference does it make to the making process?
Not much really, it's just worst to work with. In the bland plastic the knife gets stuck easily, flush is harder to remove, and dents easily happens in edges. Sanding any part is tougher than a harder plastic since it deforms when pressed and the somewhat rubbery plastic blunts either the sanding paper or file easily while at the same time you leave sanding marks all over and it's harder to smooth. It gets deformed easily (watch any heat source) and sometimes even you get a bent sprue in the box that somebody got out from the mould too quick, so soft it is.

Do not forget to watch online reviews either (better written with pics than video since youtubers tend to get free samples from brands and "don't bite the hand") to know what's inside the box beforehand as many Airfix kits are recent new tools generally with more or less good fitting and details (despite the awful kind of plastic, I've heard a bit better in most recent models, but don't trust those saying they are comparable to a Tamiya, they are not :doh: ) but many, many other kits are just reboxed old (and I mean 50's, 60's, 70's old tools) and horrible kits only suited for nostalgia purposes in older people since we all built those years ago, although personally having at hand all the new stuff and brands and everything I don't want that again, never, ever, I suffered enough in my childhood :lol:.

I mean, I don't discourage you from building an Airfix kit since specially new ones are good enough and maybe aircraft you don't see easily in other brands, or at all, but build at the same time any other stuff, like Eduard, Tamiya, Hasegawa, and all that well known quality kits so you'll see the difference by yourself.

S!

Nearly finished, better pics will come wen every thing is done
Nice model mate :beer: .

Nice! How do you achieve the slightly dirty look while not overpowering the paint colour underneath?
Several ways you can do that, highly diluted airbrushing, pigments, watercolour pencils, oil paints, and probably many more. Only depends on your taste and the type of grime you seek.

S!

A fantastic looking model. But what is this?

Hand painted chipping with acrylics, for instance. Some dry brush either in some spots.

S!

Fantastic job Ala13 Man O War !

Respect for that patience and skills. :book:

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Same to you JanRalle !

Outstanding :thumbup:

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Okie dokie since my rigs been busted for over a month I have decided to pull out all the old equipment and I've started the building again. I'm actually having a blast working on several kits and it's just been a lot of fun but I'm running into something that I've never seen before and I'm looking to you gentlemen for some guidance.

So I'm using the testors then liquid cement on the kits and everything's going fine I'm doing my preshading and my base paint using the Vallejo airbrush paint which I absolutely love. being able to feed the airbrush hopper one drop at a time it's just absolutely fantastic paint I'm sorry I digress. Anyway after I finish my coat and letting it sit for a day to a day and a half before applying my clear coat. I'm using future floor wax which is now called pledge but just like I always did in the past but now the problem is as soon as it hits the model it looks great except anywhere that there's any testors glue that didn't fall in the seam. So I end up with this glossy model that has a a very nice paint job on it but anywhere there was testors cement on the outside of the kit becomes a completely different shade it just looks horrible so I'm hoping you guys can help me cuz I have not experienced this before.

So in short models put together there are three coats of paint on top of the the liquid cement being used on the pieces but yet when I put the clear coat on the areas that have any liquid cement on them are being tinted completely different than the areas without. Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi you're my only hope

Cap'n Penguin

a.k.a. Lawndart extraordinaire

i9-9900K Processor - 120mm Liquid Cooling System - 32G (8 GB x 4) DDR4-3200MHz - Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 Ti - 11GB - 1 TB Western Digital Blue SSD - Motherboard (MSI MAG Z390 Tomahawk) - Corsair RMX850 PSU - Windows 10 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS - Oculus Rift S - Old Lawn chair

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Never heard of something like that before. The only thing I can think of is try to use a different cement. Tamiya extra thin works flawlessly, maybe that Testors bottle got old or something. And you can try either with a proper gloss varnish. Future is fine for the job, it's cheap, self levels and everything, but you have model specific varnishes all the way around, give a try any other just in case it works, though if you change the cement it will be fine probably.

S!

Never heard of something like that before. The only thing I can think of is try to use a different cement. Tamiya extra thin works flawlessly, maybe that Testors bottle got old or something. And you can try either with a proper gloss varnish. Future is fine for the job, it's cheap, self levels and everything, but you have model specific varnishes all the way around, give a try any other just in case it works, though if you change the cement it will be fine probably.

S!

Yeah thanks for the advice I tried it on my F-18 test model oh, never been a hornet fan, and it turned out that way so I just ordered some actual clear coat expensive kind. I'm very happy with the way the F4U turned out so I'm going to be a chicken and not use the pledge I'll wait till the new stuff comes in.

thank you for the advice and I will see what happens

Cap'n Penguin

i9-9900K Processor - 120mm Liquid Cooling System - 32G (8 GB x 4) DDR4-3200MHz - Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 Ti - 11GB - 1 TB Western Digital Blue SSD - Motherboard (MSI MAG Z390 Tomahawk) - Corsair RMX850 PSU - Windows 10 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS - Oculus Rift S - Old Lawn chair

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Anyway, unless you have a stash of them, remember Testors just disappeared some days ago. Check other cement brands either so you find someone that fits your taste.

S!

Yeah I ordered some my Tamiya thin cement that I'm using now. the testors just happened to be there. so testors is completely gone huh. Good thing I fell in love with the Vallejo air paint. It is nothing less than fantastic

Cap'n Penguin

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Finally finished my Ka-50 in 1/48 scale...

attachment.php?attachmentid=221098&stc=1&d=1573681526

Also, here's a little better pic of the Mig-21bis

attachment.php?attachmentid=221099&stc=1&d=1573681526

IMG_3283.thumb.jpg.ae8ec16ad79a76e395ccb33eff914cde.jpg

IMG_3286.thumb.jpg.f49868f50fed9fa03f506d67fce41d7f.jpg

• Like 1

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

Great job there. Which pilot did you use for the Ka-50? I have both of these kits stashed somewhere (including a Heliborne cockpit set for the 50), hope I'll get to finish them some day.

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

The pilot in the Ka-50 is the french helicopter pilot from PJ Productions out of Belgium. It's the closest substitute I could find. I've been getting all my pilots from them.

• 1 year later...

During Covid times I've had a lot more time to work on this project, to build the DCS aircraft in plastic, and there's a few more I've completed since.

You can check out my full collection on instagram, for those so inclined:

https://www.instagram.com/dcs_modeller/