Which direciton? VR or TrackIR+HOTAS for A10C? - Page 6 - ED Forums

Notices

View Poll Results: Trustmaster HOTAS + TrackIR or VR?
Trustmaster HOTAS 69 52.27%
VR! 63 47.73%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-13-2019, 12:35 PM   #51
Alec Delorean

I just dropped a pair of CBU-97's over a convoy with my A-10C in VR and bailed out over the impact zone. While slowly gliding down it was a quite impressing view of the mess i created. After landing on the ground a walked the battlefield on foot and watched how the other guys on the server finished the job. Priceless experience in VR! And the sound was also amazing.
Alec Delorean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 01:04 PM   #52
nessuno0505

Eaglecash, supersampling (i.e. raising pixel density) and msaa don't work good together; if your 2080ti can handle msaa and reverb native resolution without raising pixel density, then surely you have a boost in performance. With my 2070 I keep PD 1.2 and no msaa, and I have about the same performance than with PD 1.0. The big frame dropper Is the combination of the two (msaa and PD). That said, I was quite satisfied even with Rift cv1 that for sure had a poorer visual quality, so I think It Is personal preference and expectations. VR should be tested before buying, because we are all different one each other. Nevertheless, for what I'm concerned I totally agree with you: flying in VR is like flying a plane, flying on a monitor is like watching an interactive movie about flying a plane. I Just wait for a couple of gloves to interact with my phisical hotas and the cockpit without intermediaries, and then I can gladly die!
nessuno0505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 04:02 PM   #53
FreightDog

When I'm playing in "serious" mode (Campaigns etc) I use my Rift S with my TM Warthog, as I now have all the systems pretty much down pat. Using mouse click in the cockpit works ok for me too. However, learning it, or a new ac (eg Hornet now) and doing tutorials etc then I need to keep pausing referring to stuff, switching over manuals, to Vaicom Pro etc to see why that's not working (or check that it is) then I prefer the freedom of Track IR and the real world.
FreightDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 04:03 PM   #54
FreightDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec Delorean View Post
I just dropped a pair of CBU-97's over a convoy with my A-10C in VR and bailed out over the impact zone. While slowly gliding down it was a quite impressing view of the mess i created. After landing on the ground a walked the battlefield on foot and watched how the other guys on the server finished the job. Priceless experience in VR! And the sound was also amazing.
You can walk around!? No way!!! I will try that at once... what about getting out of a cockpit and walking is that possible?
FreightDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 04:33 PM   #55
bies

Seating on a simshaker when shooting 30mm Avenger and being surrounded with the cockpit in VR... That's something to remember. I can feel the power.
bies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 06:40 PM   #56
FiringPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagdog View Post
Thanks for the reply.

I have an older X52(non-Pro). It’s not great, but it does work. I recently got a decent PC and 35” curved monitor.

That’s why I’m asking; I want something better for my control setup. But, I don’t want to dump my money into the TM HOTAS / TrackIR if a decent VR setup is going to be a better next step.
get VR and get the T16000M Hotas if the Warthog is too much$$. VR is totally worth it, and the T16 does a pretty decent job
FiringPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 06:49 AM   #57
daarseth

I have both, so clearly a bias statement..... but....... Both.

Didn't start with the TMWH, but started with VR as I am a loyal and fanatical iRacing driver. Started with a Thrustmaster T-Flight 4 HOTAS (PS and PC compatible). So I was already massively immersed with the VR and made it work with the T-Flight, using a host of modifiers and others tricks for controlling (or trying) all the aspects of the A10C.

After many, many months of that, I purchased the TMWH and can say that is was an immense difference. Not sure I could quantify which would be larger, the VR or the HOTAS as again, I haven't known anything other than VR for DCS.

But I can say that the TMWH is impressive enough, that I have two of them. One still brand new in the box, never been opened (heard they had some quality/longevity issues and was gifted one for my birthday a year back - so never exchanged/returned it just in case). Point there is, they are a very solid bit of kit. And now, you have the opportunity to get the Hornet stick as an add-on.

Cheers,

Don

Airframes: A10C, F/A-18C, F-14B, FC3, Combined Arms. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR
daarseth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 03:59 AM   #58
Hawkeye_UK

VR - Simply the immersion and 1 to 1 tracking and the SA that provides in the 3D space cannot be compared to 2D. It also has distinct advantages both in terms of general flight (on the tank), ACM and CAS.

Its like comparing jets to propellers.

People that say about spotting - i play with Rift S its excellent. Also there is now VR Zoom options.

Go VR you will not regret it. Put it this way i have an high end 55inch display that is never used anymore!

DCS | F14B | AV8B | F18C | A10C | Viggen | SU27 | F15 | MI8 | Huey | KA50 | Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy

Water Cooled i7 9700K @ 5.1Ghz | RTX2080 Ultra | 32GB DDR4 3200 MHz | 500GB SSD m2 | Oculus Rift S | TM Warthog | Saitek X52 Pro | Saitek Side Panel | Steel Series Arctis 7 Heaphones
Hawkeye_UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 11:35 PM   #59
nessuno0505

I'm a long time VR user and I switched recently from t16000 to warthog. I must admit the warthog rises the level of realism and precision, but if you cannot afford both together, I suggest VR first and hotas warthog later.
nessuno0505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 06:12 AM   #60
surfcandy

I have both a RiftS and TrackIR I use the VR for intense sessions and the TrackIR for when I just want to kick back and not put the VR gear on and fly a mission.

If you want to know which is more "immersive" there is no question the answer is VR. It can not be truly experienced until you try it.
surfcandy is offline   Reply With Quote