Questions: fuel gauge, Ignition/battery & ATA needle jump 1.45-1.8 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 09-23-2019, 02:30 AM   #1
-0303-

Default Questions: fuel gauge, Ignition/battery & ATA needle jump 1.45-1.8

Fuel gauge
Neat modeling (possibly). Fuel gauge only shows full with plane horizontal, it shows a little less than full on sitting on ground.

Ignition/battery
How come panel lights and instruments only goes active with battery AND ignition circuit breaker on. Why not just battery circuit breaker?

ATA gauge
ATA gauge jumps from 1.45 to 1.8 when advancing throttle regardless if rear tank has MW/50, B-4 gasoline or is empty. Is it supposed to do that?

Mission Editor-----ATA gauge----------MW/50 gauge-----MW/Kraftstoff selector (set by default)
MW/50-------------jumps 1.45 to 1.8----active--------------MW stoff selected
B-4 Gasoline------- jumps 1.45 to 1.8----not active----------Kraftstoff selected
Empty--------------jumps 1.45 to 1.8----not active----------Kraftstoff selected
(so how you make columns in a table? zoom browser 100%)

MW/Kraftstoff selector defaulting to MW stoff and MW/50 pressure gauge only active when rear tank loaded with MW/50 makes perfect sense. But what happens when ATA gauge jumps from 1.45-1.8?

~
Two more questions.
-Am I correct in assuming that if rear tank is loaded with gasoline it will feed into main tank automatically?
-It looks like MW/50, B-4 gasoline or empty can only be chosen in Mission Editor. Is there no way (in game) to ask ground crew to choose how the rear tank is loaded?

Last edited by -0303-; 09-23-2019 at 02:34 AM.
-0303- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 08:42 AM   #2
saburo_cz

Quote:
Originally Posted by -0303- View Post
How come panel lights and instruments only goes active with battery AND ignition circuit breaker on. Why not just battery circuit breaker?
It was designed that way, one C/B for several plane system. It is the same for Fw.

Quote:
ATA gauge jumps from 1.45 to 1.8 when advancing throttle regardless if rear tank has MW/50, B-4 gasoline or is empty. Is it supposed to do that?
Yes, but engine life should be different.

Quote:
MW/Kraftstoff selector defaulting to MW stoff and MW/50 pressure gauge only active when rear tank loaded with MW/50 makes perfect sense. But what happens when ATA gauge jumps from 1.45-1.8?
If you set engine power to 1,8ATA without MW injection, engine starts shaking and should die very soon... May be in DCS the second will happen when new DM come.

When fuel is in auxiliary tank and MW/fuel selector is in MW position, MW pressure gauge should show pressure like in MW is in tank. Liquid is liquid, does not matter if it is fuel or MW.
The selector determines where content from auxiliary tank will come, to main fuel tank or to the compressor inlet.

Quote:
Am I correct in assuming that if rear tank is loaded with gasoline it will feed into main tank automatically?
Yes, no pilot action is required.

Quote:
It looks like MW/50, B-4 gasoline or empty can only be chosen in Mission Editor. Is there no way (in game) to ask ground crew to choose how the rear tank is loaded?
That is true, you can change content in auxiliary tank only in ME, no in game.
Old 10-24-2019, 07:41 AM   #3
-0303-

Engine "pulse"
Engine started coughing and "pulse" climbing at 20000 feet (maybe). ATA 1.42, all temps fine. No MW (as set by aerobatics server). Engine came back, but not fully, at lower altitude. What happened?

Rear tank
How do I fuel the rear tank? By asking for 100%? Given server setting is no MW loaded.

Last edited by -0303-; 10-24-2019 at 07:45 AM.
Old 10-24-2019, 03:38 PM   #4
grafspee

Engine dies very quickly when runing 1.8ATA w/o mw50, tested it alredy.
I think when MW50 isnt on board groud crew should install stop gate on throttle or set boost regulator to not get more then 1.45 w/o mw50 1.8 is deadly.
Old 10-24-2019, 03:40 PM   #5
grafspee

Quote:
Engine "pulse"

How do I fuel the rear tank? By asking for 100%? Given server setting is no MW loaded.
Yes

Last edited by grafspee; 10-24-2019 at 03:44 PM.
grafspee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 07:49 PM   #6
Ala13_ManOWar

Quote:
Originally Posted by grafspee View Post
I think when MW50 isnt on board groud crew should install stop gate on throttle or set boost regulator to not get more then 1.45 w/o mw50 1.8 is deadly.
Problem with that is depending on the atmospheric pressure of the day that stop gate would be in a different place. You can't change it daily, even during the day from morning to noon to evening.

S!
Old 10-25-2019, 07:14 AM   #7
grafspee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ala13_ManOWar View Post
Problem with that is depending on the atmospheric pressure of the day that stop gate would be in a different place. You can't change it daily, even during the day from morning to noon to evening.

S!
I think bf109 is equipped with boost control unit and this 1.8 ATA jump is probably special mode for this unit stop gate would work just not allowing pilot enter this special mode.
I dont know how this wep in bf109 worked, in dcs you cant set 1.6 or 1.7 it jumps to 1.8 imidietly even with tiniest increments of throttle.
But stop gate in bf109 would handicap high alt performance it will limit rpm for engine.
Any way, stop gates were used widely to avoid accidental engage of WEP.
So from what i have read p-47 has stop gate on throttle for t/o to not over boost

Last edited by grafspee; 10-25-2019 at 07:20 AM.
Old 10-28-2019, 04:50 PM   #8
-0303-

Quote:
Originally Posted by grafspee View Post
Engine dies very quickly when runing 1.8ATA w/o mw50, tested it alredy.
I knew not to go to 1.8. I just set the throttle on the threshold of the jump, ca 1.42.
I was thinking I missed something else, like engaging the fuel pump a la Spitfire. Fuel was on, but something else one needs to do when getting at altitude with 109? Adjust cooling?

Last edited by -0303-; 10-28-2019 at 04:54 PM.
Old 10-28-2019, 07:10 PM   #9
Ala13_ManOWar

Quote:
I knew not to go to 1.8. I just set the throttle on the threshold of the jump, ca 1.42.
I was thinking I missed something else, like engaging the fuel pump a la Spitfire. Fuel was on, but something else one needs to do when getting at altitude with 109? Adjust cooling?
Nope, fuel controls to the left, you couldn't start up the engine without them, and electrical fuel pump to the right in the breakers panel. I guess that's what you do, and that's all. 109 is fully automated.

S!
Old 10-28-2019, 07:55 PM   #10
grafspee

Quote:
what exactly happen at high alt ? did engien die or what ?

Last edited by grafspee; 10-28-2019 at 08:18 PM.