Details of v1.1 Flaming Cliffs *Updated- 25/11/04*

I know that this has also been mentioned a million times but...

Those improvements are amazing!!! :D :D

I can't wait to fly the MiG with all those new radar search modes. Now, it will be certainly closer to the real thing. I would love my favourite plane getting that AFM too, but... well, the 25T may become my new favourite plane in this addon, who knows... :mrgreen:

By now, I'm waiting for the new english board to be active. I wish I could read/write in russian, 'cause there is a bunch of high quality threads in these russian forums, and babelfish doesn't help that much. :(

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any general improvements to the sound engine itself or are there just some new sound files? Based on the Vikhr-movie zzzspace commented that he thought the code itself received an update and given his experience due to all that work on his great soundpacks I'm willing to believe him :)

Hi,

I just got confirmation from the developer that the different sounds in the last 2 videos(landing and Vikhr Attack) are not in v1.1 and are just enhancements for marketing and advertising purposes. The sound engine in v1.1 is unchanged from v1.02 but you are free to add new sounds as zzzspace has done so magnificently!

Hi,

I just got confirmation from the developer that the different sounds in the last 2 videos(landing and Vikhr Attack) are not in v1.1 and are just enhancements for marketing and advertising purposes. The sound engine in v1.1 is unchanged from v1.02 but you are free to add new sounds as zzzspace has done so magnificently!

Heh, like they did with Pacific Fighters. But why dont the devs ask zzzspace for the soundpack and get it on the add-on? With zzzspace authorization that is. :wink:

I'm interesting to know if in future there will be a patch, or an addon that will improve the faction of NATO, in particular the F-15.

The F-15 is not completed, in both navigation system and radar...and it is the only aircraft that can match the role of AA.

Is there some project for NATO's aircraft? :roll:

During the original Lock On development, many people kept asking "will the Russian avionics from Flanker 2.51a be improved?" - the answer was always, "if there is time". Some of the Russian avionics improvements that were hoped for in Lock On are only appearing now, in v1.1, and even so, there is still room for more work to be done on them.

Now people are asking if more attention will be given to the Western avionics. Well, you see why it needed to get all the attention of 1.0! :)

The answer is the same as always, "as there is time, so it will be done." In the meantime though if there is a specific feature you think is missing and would like to see, I am researching some F-15 avionics these days. Please tell, it would be interesting to know your wishes!

-SK

Lock On v1.1 "Flaming Cliffs" beta tester

Hello!

Hello everyone, glad to be here at last, can't wait to download the 1.1 addon - you guys have made the best god damn sim money can buy IMO.

Please though, look into the MP experience in LOMAC - it is the ONLY thing that lets it down.

The reason I say this is. If I host (on Win XP) and my fellow Vpilot joins (on Win 98) - if he gets shot down - the moment he respawns something strange happens (as in he is flying underground in my F2 view).

This may be something to do with that strange phenomenom I sometimes hear (as if a jet has just flown past me breaking the sound barrier - I hear a crack, yet the player is sitting next to me on the runway - just spawned in).

Other than that - I LOVE LOMAC.[/i]

My Hangar:

F16C | FA18C | AH64D | F14A/B | M2000C | AV8B | A10C/ii | KA50/iii | UH1H | Gazelle | FC3 | CA | Supercarrier

My Spec:

Obsidian750D Airflow | Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K | 32GB DDR4 Vengeance @3600 | RTX3080 12GB OC | ZXR PCIe | WD Black 2TB SSD | Log X56 | Log G502 | TrackIR | 1 badass mutha

Hi,

I would suggest that your friend upgrade to Win XP!

I think it would better for him to upgrade his O/S and be ready for the present and the future then for Eagle Dynamics to spend resources on making v1.1 more Win 98 compatible.

Win 98 is not supported by M$ anymore and software developers are looking at XP and beyond.

• ED Team
As always Shepski ... thanks for all your updates and effort.

Is there any chance of getting dedicated server software for lock-on in the future?

Either way this add-on is going to be great!

:)

Today we discussed an development of the dedicated server.

There can be it will appear in the following add-on.

Единственный урок, который можно извлечь из истории, состоит в том, что люди не извлекают из истории никаких уроков. (С) Джордж Бернард Шоу

Fair comment Shepski, thanks for the reply. :D

My Hangar:

F16C | FA18C | AH64D | F14A/B | M2000C | AV8B | A10C/ii | KA50/iii | UH1H | Gazelle | FC3 | CA | Supercarrier

My Spec:

Obsidian750D Airflow | Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K | 32GB DDR4 Vengeance @3600 | RTX3080 12GB OC | ZXR PCIe | WD Black 2TB SSD | Log X56 | Log G502 | TrackIR | 1 badass mutha

Is there any chance of getting dedicated server software for lock-on in the future?

Awesome! You guys rock!

TO date, I think thisis probably the best MP Modern COmbat jet sim, and I think pretty much the only one that allows us to pit western vs. earn hardware. I think that this is giong to be part of a big success, and MP is very important - I am therefore quite elated that you guys are considering a dedicated server - it will bring LOMAC to pretty much new heights.

One question: Would it be possible to also have a Linux version of the dedicated server (since you guys haven't started work on it yet, I imagine, perhaps you could take that into considerationa nd find out if it is worth doing - ie. if it doesn't cause you to lose too much time, it would be absolutely -great- )

Anyway, I'm really hoping that a good, dedicated server is going to happen for LOMAC. :)

I also have an additional question: Could you describe the new missile behavior? It's been mentioned that missiles will now 'loft' for long range shots. Is this player-selectable, or is it in-game logic only?

Will missiles launched high-to-low travel at a high altitude until they get close enough for the intercept instead of diving for the target right away?

This would make a big difference even for 18km shots.

Additional questions/remarks:

Currently missiles will not track a target at all if it flies under 20m altitude. This is not good - I understand it for radar-guided missiles, however IR missiles act the same way. Also eastern missiles seem to actually track a bit below that limit as well, but if you are good enough to fly under about 15 or 14m, they will not track either.

My suggestions: Make IR missiles track down to zero altitude.

Make radar missiles lose accuracy instead of just not even turning towards the target at /all/ ... (when you fire at a target that's flying this low, the missile jsut shoots on your attitude, it doesn't even /attempt/ to track the target) ... that in itself would be enough, but losing accuracy would be better.

I do not know how you've implemented radar, but I suspect that you have a 'radar target' that is not the same as the target ... ie. the 'radar' target and the aircraft are two different thigns, and just happen to be in the same place. I could be wrong.

I suggest that this 'radar target' have a moving vector that is limited to within about 40m of the aircraft. At high altitudes, the limit is less, say, 1-2m. As one descends, the radar target 'travels' farther ... at 300m perhaps it should be walking out to within about a 10m radius, still well inside fuze range I believe.

To be more clear with my example:

The radar target moves in a small vector within a 40m (radius) sphere, centered on the aircraft. At zero altitude (above ground) the radar target gets to move within 100% of this radius - meaning that a missile chasing a plane down at 10m may actually not hit the plane, but there -is- a chance that it will!

Now, as you go up, to about say, about 300m, you subract a value from this percentage based on a logarithmic formula, so that as the altitude rises the sphere within which the radar target wander shrinks, causing the missile to become more and more accurate until at say, 300m the sphere becomes only 25% of its size, and then you just subract 1% for every 100m of altitude gained until the sphere shrinks to a point, indicating maximum accuracy as far as tracking goes.

What do you think of this idea? Obviously by varying the equation for calculating the maximum sphere radius you can make certain missiles more accuracte than others at low altitudes.

The IR missiles still need to be fixed though ... please! :D

Why did I go into such a long post? Well, currently, with the way missiles act, it opens a loophole that can be abused by people - they'll jsut fly very low over water or even over ground, and shoot missiles up at their nemeies without fearing return fire at /all/.

My idea would fix this to some degree, however if that idea isn't possible to implement, or in addition to it, how about making turbulence and some wind shear/microburst effects work very close to the ground so that anyone who flies this low at least has to work hard?

Basically, curently there is no incentive to fight at altitude.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

This would be fantastic.

Thanks,

Brett

And is it possible to enter and exit hangers now?

Is it possible to get an answer on this?...Apologies if it has allready been answered, I didn't see it.

Intel 5820k | Asus X-99A | Crucial 16GB | Powercolor Devil RX580 8GB | Win 10 x64 | Oculus Rift | https://gallery.ksotov.co.uk

Patiently waiting for: DCS: Panavia Tornado, DCS: SA-2 Guideline, DCS: SA-3 Goa, DCS: S-300 Grumble

Dedicated Server

It would be REALLY great if you could develop a dedicated server. I believe the fact that there is no dedicated Server Version is the major reason for the small number of players in the hyperlobby.

A dedi Server would be much more stable i think (because there is no gui, no gaphic), and it would give us the ability to play with more than 8 people or so.

It would be a big present to the community and all the Lockon fans out there ;)

PS: u guys rock

...I also have an additional question: Could you describe the new missile behavior? It's been mentioned that missiles will now 'loft' for long range shots. Is this player-selectable, or is it in-game logic only?

Employment of lofted flight trajectory is not a manually selectable feature, but is down to missile logics - i.e. whether the INS software of a particular missile has this feature or not :) .

The mention of lofted flight trajectory concerns the R-77 and AIM-120. These missiles lacked this feature in Lock-on 1.0....this has been corrected for Lock-on 1.1 :)

JJ

Guest ruggbutt

I'm not a huge fan of the new plane being added, but I'm thrilled to death about the addon. I'll be buying Flaming Cliffs because of the new features, and as doing my part to support ED. This is the best fastmover F/S out there and IMHO will be the king for quite some time.

Please give us all the radar modes for the F15. While I have no problem w/the soviet planes, seeing as there are only a couple of US flyables, we'd like not to be overlooked.

Thanks for your time and effort dev team, testers and whoever else I left out.

<S!>

Re: Details of v1.1 Flaming Cliffs

hy Shepski a few questions to you ok :D

-ECM jamming is now indicated on the HUD and HOJ lock on is possible with the R-27 and R-77.

This mean i can fire an R-27 without a lock rigth ? and what happens to the R-27 if the other aircraft turn off his ECM ?

In the same situation as above if i have my radar in AUTO MODE after the enemy aircraft turn off his ECM my radar will atempt to lock in the most danger contact...so .... the R-27 will reaquire it as a new target ?

-Improved view of the wings when looking back at 4 and 8 o'clock in the F-15C, Su-27/33, and Mig-29A/S.

How this was done ?? the pilot head will turn more left or rigth ?? or the old view ( 1.02 ) was wrong positioned ?? can u post some pictures ?

tks

Rodrigo Monteiro

LOCKON 1.12

AMD 3.8 X2 64 2G DDR ATI X1800XT 512

SAITEK X-36

AND VERY SOON TRACKIR-4

Greetings to all Devs, Testers etc. You do a great job!

Everyone in the Muliplayer Community will is desperately looking forward to a DEDICATED SERVER Version! PLZ let it happen!

Oh, and one mor wish: PLZ rework the Radar Modes for the F 15 too, it does not work correctly when trying to set the Elevation etc.

Kind Regards from Germany

Brati

For SwingKid

Hi,

I'm not a real pilot of a real F-15C :cry: so I'm unable to find a real set of data about the real avionics and radar of F-15.

I hope that the dev team has this possibility. :wink:

What I can say is that the navigation system is wrong...the distances on the HUD are different form HSI (right)...there isn't any kind of information about the caret. According to the manual the navigation system would be the same of A-10...

There are also some problem with the TWS...with the first lock it would turn in PDT, SDT etc etc...sometimes instead it turns directy in STT.

I hope that these bug will be corrected as soon as possible...

Another characteristic fundamental is the NVG, one technology in possession of USAF from much time.

I repeat, I do not have the possibility to know the real data on avionics and the radar of the F-15 for being able to say what to make to you...but I hope in a general modernization.

Thanks for you Effort!

Gianfranco "Bad Boy"

Aeronautica Militare Virtuale Italiana,

http://www.amvi.it

Hi Shepski,

I might have missed it in the above referenced details but by chance has the aiming pipper for the guns in the Russian aircraft been fixed? I'm not talking the funnel but rather the pipper you see when locked on an aircraft when in a dogfight.

Hi,

The LCOS pipper works properly in v1.1.

hy Shepski a few questions to you ok :D

This mean i can fire an R-27 without a lock rigth ? and what happens to the R-27 if the other aircraft turn off his ECM ?

Hi,

You will see jamming strobes on the HUD... you have to slew the TD box over the line of strobes and then lock but there is no target information and you get false range and a shoot cue until burn through.

If you launch prior to burn through and the missile is enroute when the radar locks on, the missile will continue to home. To test what would happen when ECM is shut off can only be done online and I have not done any MP testing in v1.1.

How this was done ?? the pilot head will turn more left or rigth ?? or the old view ( 1.02 ) was wrong positioned ?? can u post some pictures ?

The K-36 seat headrest is not as big in v1.1 and takes up less viewing area so you can see the rear canopy frame rail, more of the wing/missiles, and further behind then in v1.02.

In the same situation as above if i have my radar in AUTO MODE after the enemy aircraft turn off his ECM my radar will atempt to lock in the most danger contact...so .... the R-27 will reaquire it as a new target ?

You mean after you have fired the R-27 in HOJ mode?

Yes

Rodrigo Monteiro

LOCKON 1.12

AMD 3.8 X2 64 2G DDR ATI X1800XT 512

SAITEK X-36

AND VERY SOON TRACKIR-4