Can we make the AI wingman fly closer in formation?

Frag

Hi guys,

when I use AI wingman, they always fly so far away from me in formation that I barely see them. I looked around searching for a command like "Close formation" or something like that, but found nothing.

Is there a way to make them flying closer? I do not mean to have them follow you "airshow style", but at least something where you can actually see them clearly and know that they are there.

There's is a "Close Formation" command in the comms menu...

There's also "Close" and "Group Close" in Waypoint Properties when you set a formation. Group Close is pretty darn close. It's not Blue Angels close, but it's at least as close as you'll see jets recovering overhead at Nellis in real life.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php

High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.

www.crosswindimages.com

There is close "klowsse" and close "kloze". One is an adjective and the other a verb. Something which is a short distance away is is close while to shut a door is to close it.

The options "close" and "open" are multiplication modifiers upon the defined shape of the formation. For a formation shape there might be 100m between each aircraft in the close variant and 300m between each aircraft in the open variant. I don't know the exact distances and ratio offhand but it's something like that. The closed form of a formation is always more compact than the open form. There is no such thing as the close or open formation shape. There is close wedge, open wedge, close spread, open spread, etc.

Finger four is a formation shape and I think it's the most compact. Even the open variant of finger four is quite compact compared to even the closed variant of other formation shapes.

I think it's possible that different modules have different custom formations defined by their developers, but most use the defaults. Ka-50 has custom shapes though.

I wish there was a way to adjust the distance say using like a slider so you could vary a groups formation. from say 50m-500m using a scroll wheel or keybinding. versus just a set distance pilots calling out tighten up or loosen up. with each scroll or press. also able to set groups distances in the editor. would also add another variable to a combat server with AI spaced out or in tight groups maybe even being masked on radar. "topgun" scene.. as well as being useful on say an acrobatic server. with solo pilots training with AI.

Rift CV1: i-7 8700 RTX 2070 16GB 3200mhz win10. M.2 128gb GB Z390 Aurous Master. warthog stick on Gunfighter Base

Hi Frag,

I have mine as close as I can when doing formation flying practice. When you place your AI in a mission, add the task for follow and then insert the distances. Ahead or Behind, to Right or Left of you and also Above and Below. You have to test each module you have as my distances for the harrier did not work with the hornet. When they got into formation, they fley above me, so a little adjustment and they were fine.

If you know the follow task or need some help, just ask.

Edited by tmansteve

For the F5, there are no "Close up formation" in the communication menu. The only thing there is rejoin formation.

Are you saying that you need to plan in advance what type of formation you want (in the editor). I do not understand why we are not able to call this live "Close up formation" ...

The default distances are miles aaway to me. If you want them to fly very close, you have to make a mission and set the Follow Task. If you are unsure, I will post info for you that I gained from the forum. I have done a lot of testing and you will have to give each plane module different values depending on the wingspan.

The default distances are miles aaway to me. If you want them to fly very close, you have to make a mission and set the Follow Task. If you are unsure, I will post info for you that I gained from the forum. I have done a lot of testing and you will have to give each plane module different values depending on the wingspan.

Yes I would really like this ... thanks tmansteve. I hate flying with wingman all over the place ...

DCS Mission Editor Follow Task for AI Formation

1. Place your plane on airfield or in sky.

2. Create Waypoints for your flyable plane, not for AI.

3. Then Place AI close to Left and Right side of your plane or just to one side if preferred.

4. Then select your AI plane on Left or Right and select Advanced Waypoint Actions.

5. In the Menu on the left use: -

Type Perform Task

Action Follow

Number 1 Enabled

Group New Airplane Group

When I inserted the AI, I made sure they were as separate individuals.

Then select plane on left or right and use the example below for reference. This I tested with the AV8 Harrier.

Right Side

Distance: = -10ft Your X Axis. The minus data is to place the plane 10ft back from you. A normal number data = Ahead, A minus number data = Behind

Elevation: = 0ft Your Y Axis. This data is to place the plane above or below you. 0 = (Level). A normal number data = Higher, A minus number data = Lower

Interval: = 100ft Your Z Axis. This is to place the plane 100ft to the right of you. A normal number data = Right, A minus number data = Left

Left Side

Distance: = -10ft

Elevation: = 0ft

Interval: = -100ft

I have had the AI flying very close to me without crashing, but you will have to do some testing yourself to see what is OK for you. I tested the F18C, and I had to do some tweaking as when the planes got into formation, they suddenly were flying above me as they were too close. After giving them more space, all went fine.

Just remember, this is for formation flying and if you tell them to break, they might not come back as close as before. If there is something I've missed, just get in touch. Have Fun!!!!

3. Then Place AI close to Left and Right side of your plane or just to one side if preferred.

4. Then select your AI plane on Left or Right and select Advanced Waypoint Actions.

Type Perform Task

Action Follow

Number 1 Enabled

Group New Airplane Group

Then select plane on left or right and use the example below for reference. This I tested with the AV8 Harrier.

Right Side

Distance: = -10ft Your X Axis. The minus data is to place the plane 10ft back from you. A normal number data = Ahead, A minus number data = Behind

Elevation: = 0ft Your Y Axis. This data is to place the plane above or below you. 0 = (Level). A normal number data = Higher, A minus number data = Lower

Interval: = 100ft Your Z Axis. This is to place the plane 100ft to the right of you. A normal number data = Right, A minus number data = Left

Left Side

I have had the AI flying very close to me without crashing, but you will have to do some testing yourself to see what is OK for you. I tested the F18C, and I had to do some tweaking as when the planes got into formation, they suddenly were flying above me as they were too close. After giving them more space, all went fine.

Just remember, this is for formation flying and if you tell them to break, they might not come back as close as before. If there is something I've missed, just get in touch. Have Fun!!!!

I will for sure test it out tonight and keep you posted. Thanks tmansteve!

Type Perform Task

Action Follow

Number 1 Enabled

Group New Airplane Group

Right Side

Left Side

Nice to Know thanks for the info, still wish you could do this on the fly though...

Rift CV1: i-7 8700 RTX 2070 16GB 3200mhz win10. M.2 128gb GB Z390 Aurous Master. warthog stick on Gunfighter Base

As soon as you tell them to break, then it will revert back. At least you have them flying with you as you would like. I am still looking into ideas but this is as good as it gets for now. Great for formation fly past as in display.

I dont think it would change even if it was a seperate flight. You never know what might happen yet

Edited by tmansteve

I fly the Av-8b Harrier. The default key "" brings up the on screen menu which includes "Flight" which includes "Close Group Formation" which will put wingman two on your right wing very close! The same menu will let you break wingman left or right, trail or etc. Hope this helps

Ho could it been that this is coded by the third party handling the plane code itself?! Because I am quite sure that this is not available for the F-5 striker!