["flare"] = 30,

["chaff"] = 60,

So if it is 2 flares per press you get 15 presses before you are out

METAR weather for DCS World missions

Guide to help out new DCS MOOSE Users -> HERE

Havoc Company Dedicated server info Connect IP: 94.23.215.203

SRS enabled - freqs - Main = 243, A2A = 244, A2G = 245

Please contact me HERE if you have any server feedback or METAR issues/requests

Just wanted to know if its possible to have unlimited flares.

Not 1 or 2 at a time

Thank you

I9 12900k@ 5 GHz | 32 GB DDR4 | Asus ROG  Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi d4| RTX 3090 | 6 TB SSD + 8 TB HDD | 4K Samsung Q90R 55" | VKB MK III PRO L | Virpil Throttle MONGOOST-50 | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR5

• 2 months later...
Yes, they said they will change it in another thread.

It will be 60 flares and 60 chaff when corrected.

I’m wondering if anyone has heard any more info on whether this is going to be adjusted or not?

Doing CAS in a mixed threat environment (radar and IR threats) means it’s nigh impossible to preemptively release flares while on the attack run, and still have enough for more than a couple runs or to decoy an incoming singer. 30 flares does not last very long. Even if you go full flare load out, 60 doesn’t last long either when MANPADS are prevalent.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

He probably wants to practice missile evasion with countermeasures (hence desiring unlimited flares).

The Hornet will release flares in pairs if the dispenser switch is set to Bypass.

Check out RedKite's video on the Hornet's Countermeasures:

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

I’m wondering if anyone has heard any more info on whether this is going to be adjusted or not?

Doing CAS in a mixed threat environment (radar and IR threats) means it’s nigh impossible to preemptively release flares while on the attack run, and still have enough for more than a couple runs or to decoy an incoming singer. 30 flares does not last very long. Even if you go full flare load out, 60 doesn’t last long either when MANPADS are prevalent.

Well I could come up with "if you experience incoming MANPADS, you're doing it wrong"... dealwithit.png

Rather just take the advice, if you roughly know the area which they're in, never go less than M 0.8 there and extend instead of turning around too soon - and you're fine. More is better though. I usually try to be 0.9ish rainbowdashwink.png

But in case you still get launched at, having the real load which is twice as much as we have in DCS now for months would clearly improve things twilightsmile.png

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Well I could come up with "if you experience incoming MANPADS, you're doing it wrong"... dealwithit.png

Rather just take the advice, if you roughly know the area which they're in, never go less than M 0.8 there and extend instead of turning around too soon - and you're fine. More is better though. I usually try to be 0.9ish rainbowdashwink.png

But in case you still get launched at, having the real load which is twice as much as we have in DCS now for months would clearly improve things twilightsmile.png

Strafing, rocket and most CCIP profiles put you well inside the MANPAD envelope. As these 3 profiles account for about the only way we can do ground attack currently, I don’t know how else you could do it?

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

one pass and haul ass fren, if you are making more than two passes you are doing it wrong personally

but really this issue is exacerbated by the fact that there are no old MANPADS in game, either you have no manpad whatsoever or you have modern and supercapable SA-14.

if we had SA-7 it wouldn't be so bad.

SA-14 isn’t even that new anymore. The SA-18 is getting more prevalent, and even nastier systems like the SA-24 are around. I think the 14/18 are about right for the time period of the hornet and A10C.

Although, in game, I find even the 18 to be easily decoyed with judicious use of flares... if you have enough! Run out and you’re hamburger.

As for one pass tactics, I agree - except the AI is always ready, and will get you on your first pass anyway, no prep time needed. That, and many of the missions in game require loitering and several passes (Eastern Friendship campaign, for example)

I was baiting an SA-6 site yesterday to run it out of missiles before commencing my attack run. I got blasted out of the sky by two MANPADs I didn't even see coming. :(

I guess it should've climbed higher and done a steep dive towards SA-6 but I was afraid it might still have a missile or two left. I'm definitely very conservative with my flare use due to the aforementioned limitations.

Rig: i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz | 16GB DDR4 2133 | 1070 8GB | 27" QHD GSYNC | 2x SSDs | W10

Setup: DCS 2.5 OB | M2000C | F/A-18C | F-86 | F-5E T.16000M HOTAS

I was baiting an SA-6 site yesterday to run it out of missiles before commencing my attack run. I got blasted out of the sky by two MANPADs I didn't even see coming. :(

Every proper mission has a threat evaluation, and with DCS you have all threats listed anyways. Were they MANPADS or other IR-guided threats? SA-13's (strela-10) have a bit more range and might surprise you.

If the mission lists these threats you have to stay above 10-12,000ft and only do run ins where you flare a few times going in/out. The fact the hornet doesn't have enough countermeasures to do this multiple times just ties in with its lower fuel load and attacker role, as opposed to a CAS role.

T.16000m HOTAS + Pedals || TrackIR5 ||

Win10 64bit || 120+500GB SSD, 1TB HDD || i5 4440 @3.3GHz || 16GB RAM @ 1600MHz || GTX1070 G1 ||

FCIII, L39ZA, AJS-37, Normandy '44, Persian Gulf, Channel

F/A-18C, Bf-109 K-4, WW2 Asset Pack, CA, P-47, F-16

If you can be invulnerable, have unlimited fuel, and unlimited weapons, HOW come no unlimited chaff, and flares??? unbelievable!

Good point! Agree. :thumbup:

Aorus Z390 Extreme MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.0 GHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3600 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Corsair TX 850M PS | Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe SSD 1TB |TMWH Hotas with VPC WarBRD Base| Corsair Gamer 570x Crystal Case | HP Reverb