Hornet UFC (potentially)

Brun

In what orientation are people printing the main body?

I'm printing mine upright. Amazing that the printer can handle the spans without support, but it can.

Cura estimated 10 hours, it's been going for 16 ...

IMG_0842.JPG.5cd670ae81636f4a0aff5b28de6411b2.JPG

Intel i7 13700K @ 5.3 GHz / ASUS TUF Gaming Z490-Plus / 64 Gb G.Skill DDR4-3600 / RTX 4090 / 2TB Kingston KC3000 NVME / Win 10 x64 Pro / Pimax Crystal / WINWING F/A-18 HOTAS

A-10C, AJS-37, AV-8B, F-4E, F-5E, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18C, F-86F, FC3, Christen Eagle 2, FW190D-9, Mosquito, P-47D, P-51D, Spitfire, AH-64D, KA-50, UH-1H

Combined Arms, WWII Asset Pack, China Assets Pack, Super Carrier, Falklands Assets

Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf, The Channel, Syria, Mariana Islands, South Atlantic, Sinai

Almost finished tho', looks good!

I notice it's upside down, is that a southern hemisphere thing?

Asus Z690 Hero | 12900K | 64GB G.Skill 6000 | 4090FE | Reverb G2 | VPC MongoosT-50CM2 + TM Grips  | Winwing Orion2 Throttle | MFG Crosswind Pedals

Almost finished tho', looks good!

I notice it's upside down, is that a southern hemisphere thing?

Yep :)

It was actually to get a flat surface for it to print on. However, disaster struck at the 80% mark with a power outage!

Upon closer inspection I found that the bridges were actually sagging slightly so on the next attempt I will lay it on its "back", ie face up and print with supports. Will take even longer but will work better.

Intel i7 13700K @ 5.3 GHz / ASUS TUF Gaming Z490-Plus / 64 Gb G.Skill DDR4-3600 / RTX 4090 / 2TB Kingston KC3000 NVME / Win 10 x64 Pro / Pimax Crystal / WINWING F/A-18 HOTAS

A-10C, AJS-37, AV-8B, F-4E, F-5E, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18C, F-86F, FC3, Christen Eagle 2, FW190D-9, Mosquito, P-47D, P-51D, Spitfire, AH-64D, KA-50, UH-1H

Combined Arms, WWII Asset Pack, China Assets Pack, Super Carrier, Falklands Assets

Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf, The Channel, Syria, Mariana Islands, South Atlantic, Sinai

Brun, amazing work you have done! Could I ask you just a few questions. If so I have sent a request to a 3d printing shop and they came back with three questions, wondering if you can help me answer them?

Dimensions: 17.9 cm x 14.3 cm? correct?

What material I would like it printed in. different for knobs?

Thickness.

Also donated 20 gbp to you!

ASUS ROG Zephyrus S GX502GW

(Core i7-9750H, RTX 2070, 32 GB ram)

TM Warthog - TM T-Flight Pedals - TrackIr 5 - Cougar MFD

Modules

F-86F - T.1A - A-10C - M-2000C - UH-1 - F-5 - P-51 - SA342 - Spitfire - AJS-37 - AV-8B - F/A-18C - L-39 - MiG-21 - MiG-15 - KA-50

FC3 - CA - NTTR - Normandy - WWII AP - LotATC - TacView

Hi Nemax,

Dimensions are correct. I used Shapeway's default versatile plastic, but I don't know exactly what that is. There are details here if that's any use.

Don't understand the question about thickness, that's a property of the 3D model.

Thanks for the donation!

Asus Z690 Hero | 12900K | 64GB G.Skill 6000 | 4090FE | Reverb G2 | VPC MongoosT-50CM2 + TM Grips  | Winwing Orion2 Throttle | MFG Crosswind Pedals

The knobs are sprued which is how I did them for shapeways, however that's separate geometry so should be straight foward to remove in any 3D package if desired.

I've downloaded the trial of fusion 360 and I admit defeat, I cannot work out how to separate the sprue from the rest of the mesh so that I can delete it.

If someone was able to edit the knobs object file to remove the sprue including the posts that go up into the shaft hole then that would be awesome :)

Just ordered mine from Shapeways and now the count down begins! Will now look at getting all the electronics ready to rock and roll. CAN NOT WAIT!

EVGA GTX1080TISC2 Black Hybrid Cooler, Asus Strix X399, Water cooled ThreadRipper 1920X, Dominator 32GB 3200Mhz,NVME Samsung 250/500GB SSDs, Corsair Air 740 case, Acer Predator 34' Gsync curved display + 3x Alienware 23inch 120hz monitors. TM HOTAS, RAZER - Tiamat,Blackwidow, Mamba, Tartarus and Oculus Rift CV1/DK2 + TrackIR5, MFG crosswinds

Oh and a very understanding wife.

I've downloaded the trial of fusion 360 and I admit defeat, I cannot work out how to separate the sprue from the rest of the mesh so that I can delete it.

If someone was able to edit the knobs object file to remove the sprue including the posts that go up into the shaft hole then that would be awesome :)

Would you prefer all nine in one file but without the sprue, or just four files separate files each with an individual knob?

The first would let you print all of them at once, the alternative would mean having to print two or three copies of each.

or just four files separate files each with an individual knob?

This would be ideal, that would allow the required number of each knob to be added to the build in the slicer. Thanks again for your help mate, it is truly appreciated.

You are a champion, thanks mate.

Here you go...

zipped knobs

Giggidy. :lol:

EVGA GTX1080TISC2 Black Hybrid Cooler, Asus Strix X399, Water cooled ThreadRipper 1920X, Dominator 32GB 3200Mhz,NVME Samsung 250/500GB SSDs, Corsair Air 740 case, Acer Predator 34' Gsync curved display + 3x Alienware 23inch 120hz monitors. TM HOTAS, RAZER - Tiamat,Blackwidow, Mamba, Tartarus and Oculus Rift CV1/DK2 + TrackIR5, MFG crosswinds

I'm having some trouble with getting the proper sizing in Cura (and Simplify 3D). Keep getting an error that the object doesn't fit the volume even though it states 179mm.

Would appreciate any advice from those that have the workflow sorted.

Thanks,

Derek

Do you mean its too big for the bounding box?

Would you prefer all nine in one file but without the sprue, or just four files separate files each with an individual knob?

The first would let you print all of them at once, the alternative would mean having to print two or three copies of each.

Brun,

I am considering combining the obj files to make one solid job. My only concern is whether the HUD plate needs to be separate in order to install any of those switches/knobs

can you advise if its necessarily a separate plate or could be a single unit.

Yes, correct. Visually, the model is within the bounding box but when I go to slice the model, it results in an error that says it’s unable to slice because the object is too big.

In any event, this isn’t the forum for this issue so I’ll just reach out to Ultimaker for some assistance.

Thanks anyway,

Derek

Brun,

I am considering combining the obj files to make one solid job. My only concern is whether the HUD plate needs to be separate in order to install any of those switches/knobs

can you advise if its necessarily a separate plate or could be a single unit.

It does need to be separate, yeah. The switches are attached to the HUD panel and the HUD cover goes on top, followed by the knobs...

UFC_006.jpg

You should be able to print them at the same time, but you would need to separate them slightly to avoid them being fused together. That's how the Shapeways version is printed.

Ok everyone...as I stated before, I know this isn’t a forum about 3D printing so please forgive me but I consider this a point of personal failure.

I have been trying for a few days to figure out how to get this model to be scaled/recognized in Cura 3.5.1 or Simplify3D 4.0 in order to print but I’ve run out of options. Both programs continue to state that the model can not be sliced because it doesn’t fit the build volume. I’m using an Ultimaker 3 so volume isn’t an issue for these parts. Additioanlly, the dimensions are correctly stated at 179mm x 142mm x 13mm (after scaling 10000%)

If any of you have been successful in figuring this out, I would appreciate some guidance.

Thanks,

Derek

Thanks RightStuff.

Perseverance pays (but still don't know why it didn't initially work)!

My Windows version of Cura 3.5.1 will not slice the file BUT...I tried loading Cura 3.5.1 on my MacBook Pro and tried out of desperation and IT WORKED.

On my way to printing the UFC_Main with only 1d 3h to go.

Hey Brun - quick question, I've just got my UFC from Shapeways but a little dissapointed in the depth of letter etching as it's barely visible - was this something you had too and did you need to modify using a dremel/other tool? Also, what sized allen head screws did you go for? I'm wondering if it's worth getting shapeways to print off another. What do you reckon based on the photo?

20181024_121553.thumb.jpg.640a5cb2bb32e6036fef0529630fc48f.jpg

That's disappointing. Mine didn't come out as well as I'd hoped, original plan was to fill the letters with paint but i realised it wasn't good enough for that. Since I'm using it in VR I wasn't too concerned.

Yours definitely looks less sharp that mine though which is unfortunate.