F15C and ILS

San_A

I've heard of it of course... But I do fly real planes for a living, and also teach in them. That isn't something I would recommend in the real jet.. It's more like, you are slow - add power. You are low, pitch up.

I've noticed that when they teach this, it's usually the older instructors who do. The younger guys tend to teach it the way you have described.

It's also worth mentioning that in many modern fly-by-wire aircraft, the computer is going to counter the pitching moment caused by adding engine power.

There are also aircraft where the engines are located above the centre of mass, so using the "power for pitch, stick for speed" method is going to get you into trouble, as adding engine power will actually cause the nose to pitch down.

"What's that goat doing up here in the clouds?"

F15C and ILS

I've noticed that when they teach this, it's usually the older instructors who do. The younger guys tend to teach it the way you have described.

It's also worth mentioning that in many modern fly-by-wire aircraft, the computer is going to counter the pitching moment caused by adding engine power.

There are also aircraft where the engines are located above the centre of mass, so using the "power for pitch, stick for speed" method is going to get you into trouble, as adding engine power will actually cause the nose to pitch down.

True... Fly-by-wire or not though, if you have auto-throttles(assuming they are engage), it will add or take power away depending on what airspeed you have bugged. Always trying to maintain that airspeed if able. So you as the pilot, on approach for example, are just flying it on glide slope while the throttles maintain the speed for you... And it's the same theory if you don't have auto throttle or if they are not engaged.

Good point with the last paragraph. Simply put... That's why pilots go to school and get type ratings in their specific aircraft. You must learn how the airplane flys/systems. Of course there's always prior training/experience we all bring to the table when learning a new airframe.

• Like 1

That's why pilots go to school and get type ratings in their specific aircraft. You must learn how the airplane flys/systems. Of course there's always prior training/experience we all bring to the table when learning a new airframe.

Exactly. At the end of the day it comes down to how well you understand the aircraft.

Also, in answer to your question about the tuning of ILS, it's currently not possible to tune it manually. You'll have to cycle through them like you do for your waypoints.

This might change, though, if Belsimtek decide to do a full fidelity F-15C (fingers crossed!). :)

"What's that goat doing up here in the clouds?"

Exactly. At the end of the day it comes down to how well you understand the aircraft.

Also, in answer to your question about the tuning of ILS, it's currently not possible to tune it manually. You'll have to cycle through them like you do for your waypoints.

This might change, though, if Belsimtek decide to do a full fidelity F-15C (fingers crossed!). :)

Thanks for the answer! I was thinking that, bummer. Hopefully one day!

I've heard of it of course... But I do fly real planes for a living, and also teach in them. That isn't something I would recommend in the real jet.. It's more like, you are slow - add power. You are low, pitch up.

And that is exactly why controls are reversed that way. During a landing you are descending at a constant rate. The speed of your aircraft is dictated by energy in and energy out. Energy out is drag which is proportional to speed. Energy in is engine power and decent rate. Or speed=power+descent. Now if you want to pitch up ie. descend slower without changing the speed you need to balance the equation, lower descent rate means more power otherwise the speed changes. If you want to increase your speed you need to either change your power or your descent rate, but if you don't change your descent rate with your speed your angle of descent is going to change.

Now nobody is saying you need to exclusively add power and who cares about the stick, but this is going to primarily be your control input and the stick will come under the general adjustments you naturally make. If you try to change your speed with your throttle the next step will be finding yourself high so you pitch down then finding yourself fast so you change the throttle. You are going to get the same effect in the end you're just going a whole long way around it. Now with a hud it is incredibly easy to instantly see any affects you might be making. Stick the thingy on the thingy, any movement and you can instantly tweak it. But in a normal aircraft you are going to find it a lot different, you don't have this instant indicator in your face that things are changing or you are low and so each change takes some time to observe. With that in mind making 3 changes becomes a whole lot worse than simply the 1 you are intending and the normal adjustments which are second nature.

And that is exactly why controls are reversed that way. During a landing you are descending at a constant rate. The speed of your aircraft is dictated by energy in and energy out. Energy out is drag which is proportional to speed. Energy in is engine power and decent rate. Or speed=power+descent. Now if you want to pitch up ie. descend slower without changing the speed you need to balance the equation, lower descent rate means more power otherwise the speed changes. If you want to increase your speed you need to either change your power or your descent rate, but if you don't change your descent rate with your speed your angle of descent is going to change.

Now nobody is saying you need to exclusively add power and who cares about the stick, but this is going to primarily be your control input and the stick will come under the general adjustments you naturally make. If you try to change your speed with your throttle the next step will be finding yourself high so you pitch down then finding yourself fast so you change the throttle. You are going to get the same effect in the end you're just going a whole long way around it. Now with a hud it is incredibly easy to instantly see any affects you might be making. Stick the thingy on the thingy, any movement and you can instantly tweak it. But in a normal aircraft you are going to find it a lot different, you don't have this instant indicator in your face that things are changing or you are low and so each change takes some time to observe. With that in mind making 3 changes becomes a whole lot worse than simply the 1 you are intending and the normal adjustments which are second nature.

The plan I fly in real life does have a HUD too.. But the controls still aren't "reversed" lol.

Typically the only time I'm pitching for an airspeed is in a climb... During decent it's very rare unless for some reason I am left high trying to slow down and get to flap/gear speeds for an approach to landing. Once that's all set, nothing during the actual approach is reversed. It's power for speed.

Sorry to keep harping of it, but as others have recently chimed in(and I believe they are pilots themselves too).. This just isn't how it's done.

The plan I fly in real life does have a HUD too.. But the controls still aren't "reversed" lol.

Typically the only time I'm pitching for an airspeed is in a climb... During decent it's very rare unless for some reason I am left high trying to slow down and get to flap/gear speeds for an approach to landing. Once that's all set, nothing during the actual approach is reversed. It's power for speed.

Sorry to keep harping of it, but as others have recently chimed in(and I believe they are pilots themselves too).. This just isn't how it's done.

I also used to fly. Its how I was taught and by and large its how I flew. Its also how friends in the commercial sector were taught and still fly. We're talking large changes of a degree or more persistent for a good amount of time, not dropping 100ft a few miles out where the aircraft has time to stabilise back on its previous decent rate and speed.

F15C and ILS

I also used to fly. Its how I was taught and by and large its how I flew. Its also how friends in the commercial sector were taught and still fly. We're talking large changes of a degree or more persistent for a good amount of time, not dropping 100ft a few miles out where the aircraft has time to stabilise back on its previous decent rate and speed.

Ok... I got nothing else lol W

What is it that you used to fly? Curious..

Edited by Bond 42

Is there Tacan settings in this Sim for airfields Sometimes you need tacan just to get home I can figure out the rest

The aircraft's with full cockpit and new enough to support TACAN have this yes. The A-10C module supports TACAN perfectly. :thumbup:

This thread reminded me: why don't I get any glideslope information on the backup instruments until I hit the FAF? The HUD glideslope works as expected. If I'm not mistaken, it's the same in the SU-27, SU-25T, and SU-33...

For the OP, here's a video I made using that same mission. Instead of following all the waypoints, I just depart runway 14, make a 180 degree right turn, climbing to 4500'MSL (about 3000' AGL), then I go out past waypoint 9 and do another 180 degree right turn to join the ILS approach.

[ame]

[/ame]
Edited by RazorTM

• 3 weeks later...

F-15C ILS Tutorial

hey guys,

here is a quick tutorial i made about ILS landing. Its my first tutorial. So hope it helps!

https://youtu.be/AWilOsNJo5U

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.Vcw13.com

Asus Z270 Prime-A | i7-7700k | 32G Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 | EVGA RTX 2080ti | 2x 960 EVO M.2 in RAID 0 | 500GB SSD | Thrustmaster Warthog | Pimax 5K Plus

https://www.youtube.com/c/OverKillSims

hey guys,

here is a quick tutorial i made about ILS landing. Its my first tutorial. So hope it helps!

https://youtu.be/AWilOsNJo5U

Very helpful, thanks for creating that tutorial... More please! :)

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Personal wish list: DCS: Su-27SM & DCS: Avro Vulcan.

Does anyone have a reference for NTTR ILS showing the runways available? I tried a quick flight last night and ILS seems to be enabled in NTTR but I haven't been able to find a reference. I also saw some previous threads that indicated there were issues with NTTR ILS??

Cheers

Win 10 64-bit, Intel Core i7-7700k@4.2GHz, MSI 1080Ti , 16 GB, 500GB SSD, LG 34UM95, Acer T232HL, TrackIR 5 Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals.

• 2 years later...

Its all crap. You can't even select the right ILS on the F15C, you have to scroll through and GUESS which ILS the ac is tuned into. Its pathetic; a basic nav aid that has not been developed properly. Total waste of time and why I (unfortunately) only fly in clear weather.

Its all crap. You can't even select the right ILS on the F15C, you have to scroll through and GUESS which ILS the ac is tuned into. Its pathetic; a basic nav aid that has not been developed properly. Total waste of time and why I (unfortunately) only fly in clear weather.

Use comm menu and contact ATC you want. You get info on the bearing and distance. Then you can turn on ILS mode and select through 21 airfields just like the waypoints so you will find one that matches it with range +/- 5nm (cause those will be approach fixes only and you have to break to the airfield from one when you reach it) and bearing +/- some degrees (because you're moving). The courses indicators on HSI are static (can change only +/- 180 degrees depending on the wind direction) so you can search through your own list of airbases' runways or use F10 for that, just like here:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2060475&postcount=13

That way you know for sure which airport you have selected so you don't even need ATC.

I don't know how does it work on other maps but it is tested in the Caucasus. The only problematic area is around Tbilisi - 3 airbases in the vicinity. OTOH it's even easier in the night there cause ATC will light up the correct runway for you after calling inbound ;)

Edited by draconus

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria