What will the final water textures be for Persian Gulf?

Keakaha

Some screens from last year of PG map show beautiful water not just at sea but around shorelines, while the newest screens, I am sorry to say, show very ugly water assets.

Here are 2 screens pulled from the screenshot section on the ED store of Abu Musa, the earlier screen from late last year the island actually looks "grounded" with water around it while the latest one from last month just looks terrible, like the island is floating above the water.

I believe this is the same water currently being used in caucuses?

I understand its still WIP and wags mentioned in the latest stream that work was still being done in this area for the Persian Gulf map

Just what can we expect?

Screen_171108_163042.thumb.jpg.6898c72fd9d75061947619b70963543d.jpg

Screen_180320_152919.thumb.jpg.5c6d50557446a30bedb370a99b11080a.jpg

this is very needed for all maps. proper shores for both seas and rivers

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

Angle and lighting will be heavy influences on that anyway. The first picture is from directly above, so, yeah, more is visible and the wave animations are much more muted or perhaps not active.

The second picture is from MUCH lower altitude and almost horizontal across the island and you're close enough that the wave anis are going full tilt and the sun is reflecting heavily off the water in the background.

It's not going to look the same, even if it is from the same session because the lighting and view angle are completely different.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

Angle and lighting will be heavy influences on that anyway. The first picture is from directly above, so, yeah, more is visible and the wave animations are much more muted or perhaps not active.

The second picture is from MUCH lower altitude and almost horizontal across the island and you're close enough that the wave anis are going full tilt and the sun is reflecting heavily off the water in the background.

It's not going to look the same, even if it is from the same session because the lighting and view angle are completely different.

I understand what you are saying but I find it hard to believe these are the same water assets, I am happy to be proven wrong, I just noticed a distinct change in the way the water looks in the Persian Gulf screens from last year to this year that differing perspectives and or sun angles couldn't account for.

Edited by Keakaha

yeah, water coast lines, waves foam in coast, water color (was PERFECT in 2.2) and water color arround terrain are messed right now...Anyway the darker color arround the island in the first pic is not right either as its inverted...the greenish color should be the one arround the island while the darker one for the rest of the ocean (though not so dark)...hope they get this addresed asap.

Take a look at my MODS here

It's really a question about the depth of a body of water becoming shallower the closer it is to a shoreline, plus predominant direction of waves. These should greatly affect the way the water looks the closer you get to shore, but also simply the shallower the water is even if it's not that close to shore.

Currently it looks like bathtub water. More or less the same depth regardless of how close to land. Very off-putting.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

Wags did mention in that last stream I think it was that they are currently working on the water/color on the PG map.

I heard that as well. Thing is, it's not just the Strait of Hormuz: this happens in all maps.

Shorelines in any map look just fine when flying over them at extremely low altitudes in a helicopter, but at medium/high altitude something seems off indeed: landmasses look like 2D textures floating on the water surface.

this is very needed for all maps. proper shores for both seas and rivers

Exactly!

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

Would be good to see some similar refinements along the Normandy coastline too. Especially offshore around the mouth of the Rivers Douve and Vire near Carentan - there's some very odd non-natural looking shelves offshore whcih are visible from quite a distance.

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/philstylenz

Storm of War WW2 server website: https://stormofwar.net/

It looks like the island has a steep vertical drop from the shoreline, rather than a gradual fade out. I don't know what it's supposed to look like though.

Judging from Google Maps, those islands do have quite a few beaches.

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

• 4 weeks later...
yeah, water coast lines, waves foam in coast, water color (was PERFECT in 2.2) and water color arround terrain are messed right now...Anyway the darker color arround the island in the first pic is not right either as its inverted...the greenish color should be the one arround the island while the darker one for the rest of the ocean (though not so dark)...hope they get this addresed asap.

+1

When i flown normandy first time in 2.2 I was very impressd, when 2.5 came out all changed.

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

+1

When i flown normandy first time in 2.2 I was very impressd, when 2.5 came out all changed.

Yeah somewhere along the process they took a step back. I wished we would also get the airfield coloring that was in the wip shots. The coloring was much nicer.