Using an RC Transmitter (Taranis, FlySky, etc)

Since Betaflight recently added the ability to turn your flight controller into a USB HID device to relay control information from the transmitter to sims like Liftoff and Velocidrone, are there any quad pilots here who are using their transmitter in DCS?

I just gave it a quick test with mine and found the cyclic to be fine but the collective to scale poorly, making the Mi8 pretty much impossible to fly, but it's still a good start and I can possibly tweak it to be usable. I'll have to look into mapping the switches too :)

If anyone has tried, how's your experience so far?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

T.Flight HOTAS | Custom DIY Cyclic and Collective | AMD FX8350 | 16GB RAM | 4TB HDD | 2x 128 GB SSD | NVidia 1080

I fly DCS and I fly RC (mostly helicopters, some fixed wing). I would not want to fly in DCS with an RC transmitter because the sensitivity needed to properly control the aircraft (especially helicopters) in DCS is not available with an RC dual stick controller. You can play with the curves and make something work, but it will never be as good as using a proper stick, throttle (as collective) and rudder setup.

I encourage you to try it out more, though. It is kind of fun to see the difference. You will want to adjust the curves (either on your transmitter, or through DCS) to get better control. But what you will notice is with RC aircraft, perfect precision isn't critical. With DCS, especially if you are trying to fly precisely, or shoot stuff, the RC controller doesn't cut it.

I have Realflight (RC simulator) with the USB "transmitter" controller. It looks like a Futaba RC controller, but it is USB, and I have the device needed to attach my Spektrum DX9 to the PC for other RC sims. I have not tried either with DCS, but both should work. Anytime I have ever tried to use them in first person mode in an RC simulator, though, it just isn't very fun. Again, not enough precision.

I would love to take my PC sim controls to the field and use them to fly RC (mock up a transmitter to use the axis on my game controllers). But it is a bit inconvenient. :)