Micro din connector Warthog

does anyone know where I can get a replacement for the micro din connector (male of the warthog grip? Thrustmaster does not have them in stock. ANyone has a spare?

[ATTACH]192203[/ATTACH]

Regards.

It's a PS/2 style connector. Any old keyboard lying around?

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

It's a PS/2 style connector. Any old keyboard lying around?

No, it's not. PS/2 is 6-pin mini-DIN connector. The one in the Warthog is a 5-pin mini-DIN connector. Besides the different pin count, the size and position of the key is different.

Your url does not link to the product!

Ryzen 9 7950X3D - MSI MAG X670E TomaHawk MB, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 AIO

64gig Corsair DDR5@6000, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 AORUS

Winwing Super Taurus, Orion2, TO / Combat panels, Collective with Topgun MIP

Winwing Skywalker pedals, NLR Boeing Mil Edition Simpit, Trackir

A PS/2 (mini-DIN6) connector or cable will work with minor modification.

You'd need to pull one pin from the male and drill a hole in the female connector, but they might still be easier to get hold of than mini-DIN5.

attachment.php?attachmentid=46854&d=1295758342

Edit: here's one that looks like it might fit,

US source.

https://www.showmecables.com/mini-5-pin-din-female-panel-mount-connector

mini-5-pin-din-female-panel-mount-front.jpg

Edited by aniron

A PS/2 (mini-DIN6) connector or cable will work with minor modification.

You'd need to pull one pin from the male and drill a hole in the female connector, but they might still be easier to get hold of than mini-DIN5.

attachment.php?attachmentid=46854&d=1295758342

No point in modifying a 6-pin connector when you can get a 5-pin. The modified 6-pin from the picture does not even have the flange. Round (no flange) 5-pin mini-DIN connectors can be found with relative ease.

Edit: here's one that looks like it might fit,

US source.

https://www.showmecables.com/mini-5-pin-din-female-panel-mount-connector

mini-5-pin-din-female-panel-mount-front.jpg

This 5-pin connector is female. He needs the male connector. Also the flange is too big.

Might try the guy who does the extensions in the for sale forum.

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

• 4 weeks later...

Similar issue here. One of my pins broke in half (Joy).

I have an extension from Virpil that fits, but I think I will wait for the new plug to arrive, as it should be easier to take apart. Also the extension doesn't have the grounding wire (black wire).

This pic was posted on the forums a while ago:

pnF3Q1x.jpg

I believe the [thin] black wire is now green, or at least it is on mine.

Modules: A10C, AV8, M2000C, AJS-37, MiG-21, MiG-19, MiG-15, F86F, F5E, F14A/B, F16C, F18C, P51, P47, Spitfire IX, Bf109K, Fw190-D, UH-1, Ka-50, SA342 Gazelle, Mi8, Christian Eagle II, CA, FC3

I managed to peel away most of the plastic and epoxy from the male DIN connector. My wires appear to be colored differently than the above image

vHdO8X3.jpg

Hopefully that is right. I peeled off as much material to get close to the connections.

I guess they don't have a standard color scheme for the wires?

Modules: A10C, AV8, M2000C, AJS-37, MiG-21, MiG-19, MiG-15, F86F, F5E, F14A/B, F16C, F18C, P51, P47, Spitfire IX, Bf109K, Fw190-D, UH-1, Ka-50, SA342 Gazelle, Mi8, Christian Eagle II, CA, FC3

Oh TM has them in stock. They say they can't sell them but hey, if you wanna send in you stick for an RMA and pay $XX per hour for something that would take you 3 minutes to fix it that's ok. They did the same to me. Poor customer service.

They will eventually send you parts if you keep asking. It took me a bout a week and a half to get the circuit board for my Warthog throttle.

I decided to take apart the extension set I had from Virpil then soldered it to the wires from the broken TM DIN connecter.

20tja3n.jpg

Yeah, the wire colors are just as confusing as they look, it took quite a bit of double checking.

(and I know, it's a sloppy soldering job.)

Here's the end result:

hICh8mG.jpg

Buttons all work flawlessly!

There is a little bit of slack, but I'm not worried about it. I could try to stuff them back into the grip, but I'll probably just use a small handle extension instead.

My only advice to anyone opening up their grip is be very careful not to pinch any wires when you put it back together. The ones I soldered were fine, but the ones near the trim button kept slipping out every time I tried to reassemble the grip. :doh:

Happily, everything worked out in the end and the joystick back up and running! :joystick:

As other posters pointed out, there are many sources for Mini 5 pin DIN inline connectors for making cables (like an extension cable for a stick extender), but if you want a direct drop in replacement that matches the Thrustmaster connectors, those are hard if not impossible to find.

I have looked for a source for these off and on for years. The commonly available parts like the ones I reference below have bigger flanges than the parts Thrustmaster uses, so they are not direct drop in replacements. TM is either buying them from an uncommon source (maybe an uncommon Chinese source), or they are custom made for TM.

For the stick (Mini Din 5 pin Plug), I have't found a compatible part, or even something close. Lots of parts for inline cables that can be modified, but no panel or flange mount parts as needed by the TM stick. This may be a custom part made for TM.

For the base part (Mini DIN 5 pin, receptacle): The TM part has 20mm Center to Center mounting holes. Most parts I found were like the one linked below, but this has 30 mm center to center mounting holes. The flange is too big to mount in the cavity on the Cougar or Warthog base. But for a custom setup, you could make it work. Seems this is the industry standard and I could not find a 20mm width part. This is just an example. Digikey is out of stock on this, but if you search, you will find several sources with a connector like this one.

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/cui-inc/MD-50SN/CP-2550-ND/165682

This part may work for the base (19mm center to center), but it is plastic and more bulky compared to the TM metal parts. In a pinch, it could be made to work by cutting the excess plastic away, or in a custom project, but it is not a direct drop in for the TM Cougar or Warthog base.

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/cui-inc/MD-50PL100/CP-2950-ND/500828

Sadly, TM chose to use this 5 pin Mini DIN, which is basically unpopular everywhere. The 6 pin parts are much much more common because of their use as a PS/2 keyboard and mouse connector. But even there, finding something with the correct flange mounting arrangement is difficult. For a one off fix, though, it can be made to work as previous posts mentioned.

Best bet is to just hound TM to sell you one. I asked once and they were willing to sell me one. But I'm looking for a source for like 20 to 50 of them. No luck.

Interestingly, the Thrustmaster wheels use a 6 pin Mini DIN. If they had just done that for the Cougar and Warthog..... Ugh! See an example here:

http://rr-m.org/blog/hacking-a-thrustmaster-tx-rw-gaming-wheel-with-arduino-uno-part-1/

• 2 years later...