deflection shooting with F-86 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 06-04-2016, 02:27 PM   #1
gavagai

Default deflection shooting with F-86

Just want to see if others have the same experience:

When I practice deflection shooting in the F-86, the lead computing gunsight seems consistently optimistic. I always need to have the reticle well above the target to score hits. Does the lead computing gunsight work as it should?

P.S. Of course I am also setting target wingspan correctly.
Old 06-04-2016, 05:32 PM   #2
Oberfeldwebel Elmo

How many gs are you pulling during the lead. The gunsight is radar guided but only to a certain point. Similar to the 23mm on the l39za where there is actually a g limit. I find if I'm pulling more than 3-4 gs in the fight I won't bother with even pulling the trigger. Try unloading the aircraft before firing and setting yourself up properly before hand to get the best possible really aspect shot.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

— Dave 'Preacher' Pace, USN.
Oberfeldwebel Elmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 08:03 PM   #3
Hubert Bigglesworth

Hi Gav.
I've never had any luck with the gun sight in F86, its always under leading targets, even from dead level 6 shots go low, really needs fixing.
And the mech cage sight is miles off, sight is always pointing well above bullet stream.
Hubert Bigglesworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 08:04 PM   #4
gavagai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberfeldwebel Elmo View Post
Try unloading the aircraft before firing and setting yourself up properly
I'm set up about as properly as you can get on a turning target.

Again, all I'm asking is if others have also noticed that the reticle needs to be above the target, not on it, when deflection shooting. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubert Bigglesworth View Post
Hi Gav.
I've never had any luck with the gun sight in F86, its always under leading targets, even from dead level 6 shots go low, really needs fixing.
And the mech cage sight is miles off, sight is always pointing well above bullet stream.
Glad to know it is not just me who sees this!
Old 06-04-2016, 08:14 PM   #5
Exorcet

Occasionally I notice the same thing. I need to slightly adjust the pipper from ideal to get consistent hits.
Old 06-04-2016, 11:12 PM   #6
Art-J+
Posting Rights Suspended

In the gunnery tutorial mission, the drone MiG flies as perfectly for tutorial purposes as possible. Wide circle, not pulling many Gs, no drastic speed changes. And yet, good luck with following instructions and trying to hit it at anything above point blank ranges. I'd say there's some room for simulation code improvement over here.
Old 06-05-2016, 11:55 AM   #7
Buzzles

The sight used to be fine, and I think there's a couple of posts/threads about it changing not that long ago, so it probably got broken in a patch.
Buzzles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 09:25 PM   #8
Oberfeldwebel Elmo

Do you have a trk file available. There are a lot of things to prep for so maybe you left one out

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

— Dave 'Preacher' Pace, USN.
Oberfeldwebel Elmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 11:33 PM   #9
gavagai

Just tested with the latest NTTR. The gunsight still doesn't show enough lead. If you put the sight right on the Mig-15 you shoot underneath.
Old 12-11-2016, 07:00 AM   #10
BSS_Sniper

My group has been flying the F 86 lately and we've all noticed that the gun sight is way off. You can be in a smooth, consistent and easy turn with the piper centered nicely on the enemy aircraft and you won't hit anything. You can be dead 6 or any aspect and the result is the same with any one of us. It wasn't like this in the past. Did something change? Either way, it doesn't really work.