DCS WW2 - terrain

Almazi

My questions;

Is EDGE terrain spherical? ie. Does curvature, Lat.-Long. etc. correspond to the real Earth. Does it allow for dynamic terrain deformation (craters). Are there limits as to how large a map can be and, if so, what would be the limiting factor...?

Thanks for taking the time to answer these.

"It's not the years, honey. It's the mileage..."

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please God could we have this written in bold at the top of every thread discussing terrain / EDGE ?

To be fair ARMA's maps are tiny by flightsim standards, the terrain is optimized for ground level viewing also. The demands for flightsims are quite different.

Or maybe a script that detects the word 'ARMA' as a poster types, then puts the same text in a popup that the poster has to acknowledge before posting ????????

• Like 1

Cheers.

use the word filter, Luke

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"

My questions;

Is EDGE terrain spherical? ie. Does curvature, Lat.-Long. etc. correspond to the real Earth. Does it allow for dynamic terrain deformation (craters). Are there limits as to how large a map can be and, if so, what would be the limiting factor...?

Thanks for taking the time to answer these.

No, the earth is not spherical( sorry Galileo :) ). This is a very difficult task, as I see it. Yes, all terrain in the real world coordinates. Map limit probably more than 1,000 kilometers. No probably not measured. But it is very difficult and time to make such a large map.

What season is planned for terrain? Winter / summer / etc?

Battle was in the summer. The rest do not know. may be

Terra Incognita

Please God could we have this written in bold at the top of every thread discussing terrain / EDGE ?

Or maybe a script that detects the word 'ARMA' as a poster types, then puts the same text in a popup that the poster has to acknowledge before posting ????????

You could also post this video.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sIh6TFi5Lac&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DsIh6TFi5Lac

The maps are small and the view distance is low, even for helicopters. For ground units its great though.

Thanks.

I have to say the Dev Updates are well hidden.

Isn't it an idea to create a topic like 'Update #1' etc. on this DCS WWII board and make them a sticky or so.

Instead of selecting the DCS WWII Kickstarter topic first, clicking the first link in Luthier's post and then second tab Updates?

• ED Team

Battle was in the summer. The rest do not know. may be

If this is running off the ED engine, I would have to assume the same type of options for seasons would be available, wouldnt they? Unless something has changed in EDGE.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

There is a big problem brewing if the Allied flyers only have airstarts. Is there any possibility that some of the detail of the southern part of the Normandy map could be delayed, and put that detail effort into a very thin short strip of the south England coast.

Hello Kirill, it's very nice to see you here.

You mentioned in the Kickstarter video that it's an interesting process to recreate something that existed in the past.

Could you shed some light on the particular resources you are using; eg. books you are reading, maps and photographs you are using for reference?

Will we also be seeing the realities of war? Towns turned to rubble, displaced families?

Think ruins, rubble in the streets, water-filled craters, carcasses in the fields, burned-out Panzers, discarded plywood gliders and parachutes (airborne infantry).

http://life.time.com/history/after-d-day-unpublished-color-photos-from-normandy-summer-1944/#1

Discarded_parachutes_and_Airspeed_Horsa_gliders_lie_scattered_over_6th_Airborne_Division%27s_landing_zone_near_Ranville_in_Normandy%2C_6_June_1944._CL59.jpg

Edited by Hans-Joachim Marseille

the best reference - is aerial photography. But lately, they are hard to find. Therefore, I will be glad of ANY help in this matter. Yes, I'll do a map with traces of war. It will craters, destroyed cities, ruins, remnants of the destruction of military equipment and so on.

Terra Incognita

Cant be true, STILL fake trees ... yeah edge will be future.. LOL :doh::doh:

Exactly. I cannot believe it- new graphic engine for flight simulator being developed, we have 2013 and it won't have colidable trees (insert all the simulators we know have that feature including some ancient titles who had it nailed many years ago). Its XXI century where I live!

[sIGPIC]http://i55.tinypic.com/21oydlx.jpg[/sIGPIC]

ヒューイ最高!o(≧∇≦o)

Exactly. I cannot believe it- new graphic engine for flight simulator being developed, we have 2013 and it won't have colidable trees (insert all the simulators we know have that feature including some ancient titles who had it nailed many years ago). Its XXI century where I live!

+1

AFAIK, last word from Luthier was they are not sure yet if tree`s would be obstacles.

I would like to know if the difficulties are still the same like with the old engine.

- performance issues with a such high amount of trees and it`s collision models (seem`s so, Luthier wrote about that)

- AI isn`t aware of the tree`s, so if they where obtacles AI vehicles would get stuck on them (and cannot follow the route anymore)

Deutsche DCS-Flughandbücher

SYSSpecs: i7-4790K @4GHz|GA-Z97X-SLI|16GB RAM|ASUS GTX1070|Win10 64bit|TrackIR5|TM Warthog/Saitek Pro Pedals

There is a big problem brewing if the Allied flyers only have airstarts. Is there any possibility that some of the detail of the southern part of the Normandy map could be delayed, and put that detail effort into a very thin short strip of the south England coast.

I agree, hope there will be period airfield's for Allied Forces takeoffs..

ie: Ramitelli Italy for the Tuskegee Airmen :music_whistling:

[/Table]

Recruiting for Aerobatic Team/Fighter Group...

Hi Kirill, nice to see you here. And thank you to take the time to answer questions.

- Beside the map creation process, is the engine EDGE finalized? Or is it still under development/optimization?

- Can you already tell us what kind of performances (FPS) you have related to your PC?

- As it was stated before, EDGE would use Dx11. Is that still true, and what kind of optimization, shader model and effect may we see flying above Normandy?

- Does EDGE would be compliant with Tessellation? (To fine 'crater' the environment)

- Can DCS-EDGE 'remember' the destruction? (For example when I destroy a bridge in Mission 1, I'd like to see this bridge destroyed in mission 2 during a campaign - That could open possibilities for semi-dynamic campaign)

DCS Wish: Turbulences affecting surrounding aircraft...

[sIGPIC] [/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P - Intel Core i5 6600K - 16Gb RAM DDR4-2133 - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 Gaming - 8 Go - 2 x SSD Crucial MX300 - 750 Go RAID0 - Screens: HP OMEN 32'' 2560x1440 + Oculus Rift CV1 - Win 10 - 64bits - TM WARTHOG #889 - Saitek Pro Rudder.

+1

AFAIK, last word from Luthier was they are not sure yet if tree`s would be obstacles.

I would like to know if the difficulties are still the same like with the old engine.

- performance issues with a such high amount of trees and it`s collision models (seem`s so, Luthier wrote about that)

- AI isn`t aware of the tree`s, so if they where obtacles AI vehicles would get stuck on them (and cannot follow the route anymore)

We can make a collision with trees. But we need to check how it will affect performance. Nothing more.

Hi Kirill, nice to see you here. And thank you to take the time to answer questions.

- Beside the map creation process, is the engine EDGE finalized? Or is it still under development/optimization?

- Can you already tell us what kind of performances (FPS) you have related to your PC?

- As it was stated before, EDGE would use Dx11. Is that still true, and what kind of optimization, shader model and effect may we see flying above Normandy?

- Does EDGE would be compliant with Tessellation? (To fine 'crater' the environment)

- Can DCS-EDGE 'remember' the destruction? (For example when I destroy a bridge in Mission 1, I'd like to see this bridge destroyed in mission 2 during a campaign - That could open possibilities for semi-dynamic campaign)

-like any other engine, he is constantly improving

-It's too early. And my PC is not the best for this.

-I do not know the exact answer to this question. Sorry...

-I do not know

-Do not see a problem. But this will not do the graphics engine

Terra Incognita

^^very good questions!

almazi, do you guys already know, whether its possible to increase the map size on a later point after release?so that finally we could end up with a map spreading all over europe?

I'm not sure that all of Europe on one terrain map makes sense. At least you do not have as much space on your hard drive :)

Terra Incognita

• ED Team
the best reference - is aerial photography. But lately, they are hard to find. Therefore, I will be glad of ANY help in this matter. Yes, I'll do a map with traces of war. It will craters, destroyed cities, ruins, remnants of the destruction of military equipment and so on.

Some nice shots here: http://www.historypin.com/channels/view/id/9204027/#|photos/index/#!/geo:49.245513,0.369061/zoom:9/dialog:12174077/tab:details/

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png