Air Refuel 10 Deg Ladder Bar Not Shown

sbower

Hi All

While most of the online videos on refueling F-18c talk about line up the 10 deg ladder bar on the Hud with the refueling pod none have mentioned what to do if you cannot see the 10 deg pitch line because it's out of view.

Does anyone know how to adjust the Hud, or can explain to me what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks!

It is a mystery to me how others get the 10degrees on their pitch ladder to line up in AAR videos . I too get the 5 degrees.

For me when I fly on low speed(140knt-150knt which is not realistic in AAR), the 10degrees number is displayed but at higher speed, the ladder get pushed up.

I do not know why speed affect pitch ladder scale movement.

If I want to use 5 degree number to line up, I would not be flying level.

I would glad to see how this can be resolved.

Still tricky for me

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

Most likely you are not flying level. 10 deg line is at the edge of HUD, and you align with pod when nearly connected to the basket. It was tricky for me too at the beginning but now it's not a problem.

I noticed that seat position (up/down) your head position (trackir) and zoom level matter as well.

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

Most likely you are not flying level. 10 deg line is at the edge of HUD, and you align with pod when nearly connected to the basket. It was tricky for me too at the beginning but now it's not a problem.

I noticed that seat position (up/down) your head position (trackir) and zoom level matter as well.

I am not sure it is level flying is the issue. My Hornet is always leveled during pre contact. Pitch ladder number will just roll up and leave me with 5 degree scale.

I have moved the seat up/down and the camera up/down too.

I will try with my trackir and see the outcome.

Have always done AAR without out trackir.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

On my HUD, if I set autopilot to BALT and adjust the throttle, the 10 degree line comes into view at 265 knots (266 and it's gone). Being as the S-3 tanker in the 'Instant AAR Mission' is flying at around 350 knts, there is no chance the 10 deg marker can be used. At that speed, I'm sure even the 5 deg marker is only just visible when in a turn.

I find using a physical entity, such as the top of the inner or outer HUD glass or even the corner of said glass being a more stable reference.

I don't know if IRL there is a set minimum/maximum 'refueling speed' for each aircraft but it is evident you need to be able to refuel at various speeds and HUD symbology might change as a consequence so using the ladder as a reference is not the best idea (maybe as a beginners guide to refueling it would work, start them off with a slow 250 knts KC-130 or something) but a different reference that doesn't change, will be needed for faster tankers.

Hardware:

Intel i9 7920X@4.2

EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra Hybrid

128GB DDR4 3200

Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + PENDUL_R Rudder

VIRPIL MongoosT-50CM2 + Base

HP Reverb Pro

Haven'T read all replies, but have you played with your seats height (the hornet's pilot seat that is, not your chair :P), i personaly saved my default view in the Hornet after i saised a few clicks the pilot's seat. (i personaly rather see the pitch ladder or more view at the bottom of the HUD as per landing view or bombing, than seing a pitch ladder up for refueling purpuses, but, that's my personal choice:))

On another note, i personaly make it quite simple, i personaly use the Heading tape when i need reference for something, since it's always there no matter how much pith you have, bank angle, seat configuration, snap view adjustment, the heading tape should always be there, for refueling for exemple, when i'm far i set it up on the tanker's pod, but as i get close, i noticed that most of the time, no matter how people set their views, once extended, the refueling probe on the Hornet, is more or less at the same level as your flight path marker / horizontal line on your hud, so basicly when your FPM is about the same level as the basket, it's mostly at the same level of the probe, after a while of doing it, you'll even be able to anticipate where the basic will end from a distance without even using the HUD reference, as you eyes will gauge here to put the FPM away, as it happens when landing and in a turn, your brain get used to it and anticipate the positionning of where the FPM will need to be... Go on youtube and watch many video of the Hornet refueling, from different people, you'll see what i mean.

Edited by Doum76
  • Like 1

Haven'T read all replies, but have you played with your seats height (the hornet's pilot seat that is, not your chair :P), i personaly saved my default view in the Hornet after i saised a few clicks the pilot's seat. (i personaly rather see the pitch ladder or more view at the bottom of the HUD as per landing view or bombing, than seing a pitch ladder up for refueling purpuses, but, that's my personal choice:))

On another note, i personaly make it quite simple, i personaly use the Heading tape when i need reference for something, since it's always there no matter how much pith you have, bank angle, seat configuration, snap view adjustment, the heading tape should always be there, for refueling for exemple, when i'm far i set it up on the tanker's pod, but as i get close, i noticed that most of the time, no matter how people set their views, once extended, the refueling probe on the Hornet, is more or less at the same level as your flight path marker / horizontal line on your hud, so basicly when your FPM is about the same level as the basket, it's mostly at the same level of the probe, after a while of doing it, you'll even be able to anticipate where the basic will end from a distance without even using the HUD reference, as you eyes will gauge here to put the FPM away, as it happens when landing and in a turn, your brain get used to it and anticipate the positionning of where the FPM will need to be... Go on youtube and watch many video of the Hornet refueling, from different people, you'll see what i mean.

Good one Doum76, these are good alternative reference marks to use beside the pitch ladder.

Thanks.

Same for the Harrier with the 5° line - it's not there mostly. To make them visible, we have to fly slower / higher AoA than the real guys... so if it's your mission, slow down the tanker,it should operate somewhere in between 200 and 275 knots indicated. When I first tried practicing, I though a faster one would be better due to more stable controls, but the speed also brings more pilot induced oscillacion.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Using VR, I just level my plane and make a run for the boom, just by feeling..and it works most of the time.

But I guess it's VR that makes the difference. Flying 2D may be a bit trickier due to the lack of field of depth.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commanding Officer of:

2nd Company 1st financial guard battalion "Mrcine"

See our squads here and our

Croatian radio chat for DCS World