Data Link Not Showing AWACS data beyond 150 miles

Banzaiib

We ran a little bomber intercept training last night with 6x F-14's (human pilots), and the AI E-2D was giving us a picture that included bandits about 300 miles from us which was about 250 miles from the E-2D, but when I increased my scan zone to 400 miles, they did not show up. Only contacts that are roughly 150 miles from the E-2D (or E-3) will show up on data link... despite the AWACS being able to call them over the radio at much greater ranges. Is this working as intended?

(I will post a track this afternoon)

Edited by Banzaiib

Thanks for the report, it is on our list to revisit F-14 datalink once more pressing tasks have been completed. The AWACS APIs in DCS have changed a few times since F-14 release, we're awaiting some info from ED on the latest correct way to now receive contacts. It seems as though we may need to implement a link16 receiver now, which is of course not true to real life, but we'll see, maybe ED can give us another way. F-14 should currently receive all contacts that are up to 250NM from AWACS, as long as they're within line-of-sight (not occluded by terrain or horizon etc.), so not sure why you were seeing only 150NM on your side, but maybe MP somehow affects this too.

Heatblur Simulations

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

For example, in MP on the Growling Sidewinder server, F-14s take off from Tbilissi and Beslan, and I am unable to see enemy contacts around the Kutaisi area (being in line of sight) and that's roughly 100Nm.

So I use the jester menu "scan elevation" and then I am able to pick them up.

When I fly the F-16 however, I immediately have a lot of contacts on D/L in that same area.

It could be a server issue though...

Anybody else ?

Edited by Panther 976

• 4 months later...

It seems to be getting worse. AWACS in mission yesterday was only 80 miles from targets, and was getting nothing on the TID / data link outside of 50 miles from the E-2.

Fighter-to-fighter seems to work fine, though.