Start Engine L/R real life equivalent

Stevo_HR

Hey all,

I just got this module after years of sporadically messing around in the A10-C and was wondering why I need to press keys in order to start the left and right engines (same for the A10-C). What is the real life way to achieve this?

I decided to dive into the F/A-18c without any training yesterday to see how far I could get from a cold start by winging it. I spent about an hour messing with various switches for how to actually start the left engine. I found the battery, the apu and after a rocky start the ground electric power was working. I also had fun seeing what could be done with no power at all such as canopy jettison and ejecting which gave me a nice view of the Stennis.

Then I found the left engine crank although I am not sure if I was supposed to turn it on it sounded like the engine was firing up but it didn't really. In the end I realised that on the A-10c I have been using kb commands for left and right engine start (RALT+Home etc...) . So I found the appropriate key combo.

So considering I have the TMHW shouldn't I be able to do everything the pilot needs to do without using the keyboard at all? Just using the HOTAS and the mouse to click stuff.

Thanks for any advice. :)

~Stevo

You can also click on the corresponding throttle handle to advance it over the idle stop.

i7-4770k | EVGA GTX 980 SC | 16GB DDR3 | TrackIR 5, TM Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals

DCS: F-16C, F/A-18C, F-14A/B, AV-8B, FC3, A-10C, Black Shark II, UH-1H, F-86F, MiG-21bis, Mirage 2000C, AJS-37, F-5E :pilotfly:

Right engine first then left engine. Believe it depends on the way the electrical systems are done that decides what engine should be fired up first.

But you can just click the engine cranks on the left side panel. Button layout:

attachment.php?attachmentid=187828&stc=1&d=1529288205

You can click the throttle handle to push them out of idle after hitting 20% rpm

Hey all,

I just got this module after years of sporadically messing around in the A10-C and was wondering why I need to press keys in order to start the left and right engines (same for the A10-C). What is the real life way to achieve this?

I decided to dive into the F/A-18c without any training yesterday to see how far I could get from a cold start by winging it. I spent about an hour messing with various switches for how to actually start the left engine. I found the battery, the apu and after a rocky start the ground electric power was working. I also had fun seeing what could be done with no power at all such as canopy jettison and ejecting which gave me a nice view of the Stennis.

Then I found the left engine crank although I am not sure if I was supposed to turn it on it sounded like the engine was firing up but it didn't really. In the end I realised that on the A-10c I have been using kb commands for left and right engine start (RALT+Home etc...) . So I found the appropriate key combo.

So considering I have the TMHW shouldn't I be able to do everything the pilot needs to do without using the keyboard at all? Just using the HOTAS and the mouse to click stuff.

Thanks for any advice. :)

~Stevo

You do know that you can set the engines from off to idle by lifting the throttle and advance it forward to idle position with the Worthog throttle right (Im guessing TMHW is shourt for Thrustmaster Warthog)?

System: MSI Z370 | i7 8700K | 32GB DDR4 | RTX 2080Ti | TM Warthog | Logitech Pro Rudder Pedals | Oculus Rift S

Modules: FC3 | UH-1H | SA342 | Spitfire | AJS-37 | F-5E | A-10C | M-2000C | AV-8B | F/A-18C | F-14 | C-101 | F-86F | MiG-21 | MiG-19P | MiG-15 | F-16C | JF-17 | L-39 | Mi-8MTV2 | KA-50 | Christen Eagle II | Yak-52 | Bf 109 K-4 | NTTR | Normandie | Persian Gulf | The Channel

Oh, you absolutely can start her up with just mouse and TM HOTAS Warthog. After activating engine crank, you have to wait for spool up to around 25%. Then you have to advance the throttles past their idle detents. On the TMHW throttle quadrant, retreating the throttles past the detent is achieved by lifting them and dragging back. This works as button press button #29 and #30 left and right throttle respectively. Bind button #29 to "Throttle (right) - OFF/IDLE" and button #30 to "Throttle (left) - OFF/IDLE". Now when starting, you need to have the throttles behind their idle detents, and after cranking, you advance them, and the engine should ignite.

Ah thanks, that explains a lot. This helped me find the problem. It seems the default #29 and #30 were set to finger lift left and right. No wonder I was so confused about why the throttles seemed to be doing 'something' but no engine start without the kb. I will have to figure out what these finger lifts are for later - I just had a look at some other posts and they seem confusing. One step at a time tho. lol.

Now I wonder if I can actually take off... Of course I will do the training later. Just wanted to have a play around first. :)

Thanks again. :)

Ah thanks, that explains a lot. This helped me find the problem. It seems the default #29 and #30 were set to finger lift left and right. No wonder I was so confused about why the throttles seemed to be doing 'something' but no engine start without the kb. I will have to figure out what these finger lifts are for later - I just had a look at some other posts and they seem confusing. One step at a time tho. lol.

Now I wonder if I can actually take off... Of course I will do the training later. Just wanted to have a play around first. :)

Thanks again. :)

In the Hornet the fingerlift is used to activate the afterburner. If you do not want tu use that, then there is a setting you can change in settings for the aircraft.

System: MSI Z370 | i7 8700K | 32GB DDR4 | RTX 2080Ti | TM Warthog | Logitech Pro Rudder Pedals | Oculus Rift S

Modules: FC3 | UH-1H | SA342 | Spitfire | AJS-37 | F-5E | A-10C | M-2000C | AV-8B | F/A-18C | F-14 | C-101 | F-86F | MiG-21 | MiG-19P | MiG-15 | F-16C | JF-17 | L-39 | Mi-8MTV2 | KA-50 | Christen Eagle II | Yak-52 | Bf 109 K-4 | NTTR | Normandie | Persian Gulf | The Channel

In the Hornet the fingerlift is used to activate the afterburner.

Only when on the ground, *and* the launch bar extended or hook down. Even then, afterburner can be selected with enough force rather than using the fingerlifts.

Asus Z690 Hero | 12900K | 64GB G.Skill 6000 | 4090FE | Reverb G2 | VPC MongoosT-50CM2 + TM Grips  | Winwing Orion2 Throttle | MFG Crosswind Pedals