Evolution of a Low Level helicopter slalom.

Holbeach

I haven't done much with the UH-1H, so I made a low level circuit mission, under the wires, so that I could practice and this is the first time I completed it without crashing. This is a balls out, anything goes dash, in order to get the time to a minimum and that includes the landing on the pad. Containers mark the route, pass between the towers and under the wires.

Fastest time 5 min 27 secs.

After this, I updated it to make the rather dramatic, slide landing, a bit more difficult to do.

Huey circuit.miz

Edited by Holbeach

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..

I've made a few course changes and enclosed the landing pad a little in order to reduce the area to make it more difficult to slide land, but I still haven't quite got the hang yet.

Time is 4 mins. 42 secs. and is my first one without crashing

Huey circuit - Copy.miz

Edited by Holbeach

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..

for a perfect training, dont do it fast, do it at required speed. and see what is your time deviation!!!

I'm also using it as you say, for precision training.

You can make your own rules up as you go. :book:

At the moment I'm having fun with the speed rush and you can of course use any helo.

Perhaps you could use the Air Racing Doors instead of the Containers?

I could do, but I wanted an unrestricted entry to the choke points, so you choose the method of entry that will give the lowest time at the end. Tight and slow or wide and fast. The containers also provide a restriction at certain points.

6 hrs and 26 deaths on the Huey now and I'm starting to get the hang.

No, you didn't miss a thing.

Very good job, now I know what to aim for.

Try the update version. As the title says, it's an evolving course.

Good stuff and a lot of fun. Need to work on my rudder control and coordinated flight but here is my go.

That was a pleasure to watch and a landing I can only dream about (but I'm working on it).

I've updated to a new version, which has more action in the last half whilst keeping the long middle straight for high speeds.

You can also run this course in reverse, which will give you a landing approach under the wires.

I'm struggling to get a sensible landing, so practicing with the last part to get a decent approach. Honing technique is what this course is all about.

GL.

DCS, Huey, Slalom Mk 3, has a chicane added and some detail changes.

1st video on Win 10.

Huey slalom 3.miz

Edited by Holbeach

The spectators look a lot like Charlie. lol

Try destroying the targets. :megalol:

Just a few small alterations to my training slalom mission. I'm still having difficulty trimming, especially at the start and landing is always a ring clenching effort.

I've made a few alterations to the route and added some mountains. The changing elevations give an opportunity to use the full collective range.There are 6 FARPS to practice landings on the route. This is just testing the route to make sure it works.

Mountain power lines .miz

Edited by Holbeach

After 20 hrs on the Huey log, I can run the slalom without too much trouble, but the decent landing is still eluding me. I can get it on the pad, but without much dignity, so all my effort is going into conquering the task.

I would love somebody to show me how it's supposed to be done, on any of the 6 FARPS in this mission.

Using the slalom Mk4a to practice with the Huey.

Still trying to get that landing sorted. Moved the rudder to a rotary on the X52, but it is too stiff to use, then to the slider but it's too loose, so back to the twist grip and I removed the rudder trimmer. This last one I thought I had it, but nope, a slide land which I don't want. So press on.

Edited by Holbeach

No takers on the Mk 4 slalom speed run, never mind, probably too difficult. :)

I've moved the FARPS slightly and I'm using them to learn handling skills in this Mk4b version.

This a steep descent onto a valley pad.

The trouble with using a twist grip for the rudder, is, as you increase collective you need left peddle, this can then put in a very slight input to the cyclic, which then causes over corrections at the most difficult point in the landing, near the ground.

I'm trying this low approach and chipping away gradually at the speed to reduce those inputs. It seems to be working.

This is high FARP 4 to low FARP 5 section of the power line slalom I'm using, to learn the HU-1E handling. This involves a steep descent from under the top wires, to under the bottom wires, followed by a handbrake turn onto the pad. The first two missed the target pad, but the third nailed it.

Brilliantly flown, at the limit and some lovely freestyle landings on the way, just what I was hoping you would do.

Brilliantly flown, at the limit and some lovely freestyle landings on the way, just what I was hoping you would do.

Thanks, can't say I managed too well on my first few attempts, hard to keep up the speed with the elevation changes, good fun.

Otter