Hosting a server with IPv6 AND IPv4

Hello,

is it possible to host a server if i have no public ipv4 address? Our entire village got superb glass fibre, perfect conditions to host a server. But with ipv6 that get bridged down somehow to ipv4 at our internet provider to talk with the rest of the world.

If i check whatsmyip.com he tells me the same ipv4 address like my neighbour.

Is there still a trick to do it? I tried to add port 10308 to my firewall and port forwarding list but without any luck. My server does not show up on the serverbrowser nor is reachable with the ip i got from whatsmyip.com (I am not surprised).

Thanks for help!

• 1 month later...

no, iirc.

BTW, you need more than the ports you listed, depending on how your outbound Fw is configured, XMPP proto needs to be allowed as well to go outbound. Search the forum for "XMPP", you will find my old thread with response from devs. That has all the port info you need, in- and outbound traffic.

To my best knowledge, DCS core is not IPv6 ready. Until that has taken place, you will need a full valid public IPv4 with control over the firewall.

What might help, call your ISP and ask if you can have a public IPv4, maybe for 1,99€/month or so.

My last ISP wanted 1,99€/month for that, my current ISP ( Vodafone) gave it to me for free after telling them that all my VPN connections are dead, which is worse than DCS not working. Vodafone is real nice with this issue, BUT they told me they DO NOT do it for gamers. So if you call, say you need your VPN working as you work from home.

Give it a shot, bee there twice and could always solve it with a call to my ISP.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

• 7 months later...

When I join my dedicated server (local, same switch) DCS defaults to the v6 IP. So IPv6 works.

You won't be able to get it to appear in the list however, as the IPv6 isn't going out of your provider's router and making it all the way to the DCS data center.

Just join by IPv6 IP, and you will be fine.

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

Have fun. Don't suck. Kill bad guys. 👍

https://discord.gg/blacksharkden/

Here an extract from my server log :

2018-10-16 04:01:52.637 INFO NET: server has started

2018-10-16 04:01:56.641 INFO NET: No UPNP devices found.

2018-10-16 04:01:56.641 INFO NET: Successfully set up Dual-Stack socket, using both IPv4 and IPv6

2018-10-16 04:01:56.641 INFO NET: Listen to IPv6 on port 10308

2018-10-16 04:01:56.643 INFO NET: Registering server as xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:10308 (port is assumed to be open).

Server listen on both IP v4 and IP v6, not seem to be a problem.

"Les pilotes du Fail" server administrator

• 9 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Did you find a solution? I have not had problems running a dedicated server until the last update and now I only see it on the LAN and there is no flag of my country on the list. Noone from outside can see it. My ip in the bottom corner shows as an ipv6.

i5 9600K, 32GB DDR4, RTX2080FE, 2x1TB M.2, Win 10 Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog, Oculus Rift S and CV1

• ED Team
To my best knowledge, DCS core is not IPv6 ready.

It is fully IPv6 for quite a while already. There was even a bug with empty server list on the machines with disabled IPv6, because all IPv4 addresses inside were mapped to IPv6.

The only thing which is not IPv6-ready ATM is the master server, which keeps the list.

So you can host IPv6-only right now, but

1) your server won't be listed and your clients will have to use either direct address, or DNS-name.

2) obviously, it will only serve IPv6-clients. For example, my ISP does not support IPv6 so I won't be able to connect to your server, no matter if it is listed or not.

Dmitry S. Baikov @ Eagle Dynamics

LockOn FC2 Soundtrack Remastered out NOW everywhere - https://band.link/LockOnFC2.

It is fully IPv6 for quite a while already. There was even a bug with empty server list on the machines with disabled IPv6, because all IPv4 addresses inside were mapped to IPv6.

The only thing which is not IPv6-ready ATM is the master server, which keeps the list.

So you can host IPv6-only right now, but

1) your server won't be listed and your clients will have to use either direct address, or DNS-name.

2) obviously, it will only serve IPv6-clients. For example, my ISP does not support IPv6 so I won't be able to connect to your server, no matter if it is listed or not.

How can i define the way that my server work only in IPV 4, is there a settings in the config file of the dedicated server ?

If you're hosting IPv6 only then only IPv6 capable clients can connect. Considering even the most established providers do not support native non carrier grade IPv6 that's very unlikely to happen in a squadron. Literally all your members would have to fix their own WAN IPv6 first. Most carriers still apply dual stack configs.

What you can ask them to do is to apply a carrier configured port forwarding. Your ISP sets up the routing for necessary ports which will terminate at your endpoint. That way you can host a dual stacked IPv4 server.

Best regards