Cold War 1947 - 1991

Alpenwolf

I had a bit of a dumpster fire yesterday... first SRS wouldn't transmit in the 21, then wouldn't receive at all despite working fine only an hour before, then someone had their IFF off and was exactly where I expected an F-5 to be (sorry!) and finally managed to accidentally overwrite my main TrackIR profile, so when I got on later and got into a dogfight, I immediately lost sight and couldn't regain it. :doh:

Could be fun as an experiment but shouldn't we be opening up the cold war server more because weve for new cold war jets coming just around the corner - Corsair and Flogger.

These will naturally start to leave the 19/21 behind.

We are not far off the point of needing a second cold war server - 50s-60s and 60s-80s.

As long as we don't have BVR and spamraam going on we are good.

Lots of exciting directions and gameplay to come on Alpens server

Sent from my IN2013 using Tapatalk

The F-5 we have is a 70s variant IIRC, 21bis is 72. I would say both can still play with the Crusader (in fact I'd group the F-8 in their class), F1, and MiG-23 - the F-5 especially has a decent RWR and the MiG's, while not good, is just good enough to know you've been shot at.

Limited all aspect capability is not a reliable hit against a competent opponent who flares, granted it could put them on the back foot if you get tone. Atm the situation with the aim9m is a return to a much bigger disparity imo. Despite enjoying the Harrier I feel similarly about its capability at the moment.

Edit: Realised in my original post I mentioned aim9p, i had meant this to mean the aim9p series i.e. the aim9p and aim9p5 but appreciate this was not clear.

You have to see the guy to flare, and the fact that the R-60 can make a frontal aspect shot isn't widely known. I almost never saw people flaring even when they knew I was coming while the 'rear-aspect' limitation was on. Lots of dead F-5s.

then someone had their IFF off and was exactly where I expected an F-5 to be (sorry!)

There is no real IFF. No JF-17 here. The expanded IFF of SRS and LotAtc is not at work here either (and doesn't suport the Soviet SR-ZO/SOD interrogator/transponder)

MiG-21's IFF capability is handy but not reliable due to the radar limitations. Friendly contact may have been merged with a bandit on your scope. Or had fallen out of detection parameters during the interrogation and remained on scope as persistence.

Unless you have a clear visual on a solitary aircraft, away from any ground clutter, VID is needed.

It'll be fun to see what Alpenwolf does with the Mirage F1, as it fought against both the MiG-21 (Angola civil war) and the F-5 (Iran-Iraq war). But we're probably at least 3 years away from it being released, as Aviodev is still focusing on the C-101.

It'll be fun to see what Alpenwolf does with the Mirage F1, as it fought against both the MiG-21 (Angola civil war) and the F-5 (Iran-Iraq war). But we're probably at least 3 years away from it being released, as Aviodev is still focusing on the C-101.

With the MiG-23 being developed as of now (obviously for Red), it only makes sense that the F-1 should go Blue. And then there's the F-4, so obviously at some point the Harrier will have to leave the server (sorry, Harrier pilots but I've mentioned that quite often).

I'd rather wait than speculate. So, we'll see what happens.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Cold War 1947 - 1991                                       Discord
Helicopters Tournaments
Combined Arms Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

With the MiG-23 being developed as of now (obviously for Red), it only makes sense that the F-1 should go Blue. And then there's the F-4, so obviously at some point the Harrier will have to leave the server (sorry, Harrier pilots but I've mentioned that quite often).

Alpenwolf - what about the FRS.1 Harrier coming from Razbam v soon??

Sent from my IN2013 using Tapatalk

I think you've been quite fair on this and warned people multiple times it was a stopgap solution. As much as I love the Harrier I look forward to hopefully replacing the Ab8b with an FRS.1

Ryzen 5800x@5Ghz | 96gb DDR4 3200Mhz | Asus Rx6800xt TUF OC | 500Gb OS SSD + 1TB Gaming SSD | Asus VG27AQ | Trackhat clip | VPC WarBRD base | Thrustmaster stick and throttle (Deltasim minijoystick mod).

F14 | F16 | AJS37 | F5 | Av8b | FC3 | Mig21 | FW190D9 | Huey

Been playing DCS from Flanker 2.0 to present 😄

There is no real IFF. No JF-17 here. The expanded IFF of SRS and LotAtc is not at work here either (and doesn't suport the Soviet SR-ZO/SOD interrogator/transponder)

MiG-21's IFF capability is handy but not reliable due to the radar limitations. Friendly contact may have been merged with a bandit on your scope. Or had fallen out of detection parameters during the interrogation and remained on scope as persistence.

Unless you have a clear visual on a solitary aircraft, away from any ground clutter, VID is needed.

I had a damaged friendly pass overhead who I knew was being closely pursued. I then had a callout for a target directly off my nose, picked up on radar, IFF hostile, dropped from radar due to terrain, regained contact, IFF again hostile, fired twice (as clean R-3R shots are a rarity and I'd rather use them while I can) and as the missiles hit and he passed over I spotted the triangular planform and heard the reaction over comms. It was at that point I realised that SRS, which had been fine up until that point, was not transmitting and probably hadn't been for several minutes, and as I scrambled to type in chat the actual F-5 killed me - he must've been very close when it happened, no more than a few seconds passed. As far as the MiG's radar goes, I know what a merged friendly looks like. I also know what a pair of very clever F-5s flying in close trail looks like - one of them has to slide slightly out of formation before you realise it's two enemies rather than a single friendly. In this case the only contact I saw, and the one I locked, IFF'd hostile immediately before I locked it.

IFF in itself is not properly simulated, but coalition-based "IFF" certainly is. If you don't turn the system on, you will come up as unidentified/hostile. This is the reason Hornets used to teamkill constantly back in the day and still frequently do - if either the target aircraft's IFF is powered off or the firing aircraft's identification system is powered off, it will return unidentified. Just because it is not a properly-simulated transponder system doesn't mean it's not there. We just have a simple coalition-based abstraction instead.

In a closing head-on engagement with both sides having all-aspect missiles and a damaged friendly saying he has an F-5 directly behind him closing to firing range, you can't reliably visually ID until either yourself or that friendly is dead. It was an unfortunate circumstance but it happened. I've been teamkilled at least a dozen times on the server because of friendlies firing heaters into a dogfight or someone forgetting to IFF a new contact after a hostile one faded, it just comes with the territory and I would hope everyone who plays here realises that you can have the best GCI in the world and everyone with IFF on, and still, a missile seeker head will sometimes get distracted by a friendly and make a turn you didn't think it would, or in a confusing mess of planes someone will see a shape and their brain will 'autocomplete' to what it expects to see, not what's actually there.

I really, really wish the ingame VOIP system wasn't a laggy mess... SRS is great when it works, but I've had so many problems with the scripts breaking or connection dropping that it drives me mad sometimes. Such is life with third party addons.

Edited by rossmum

I had a damaged friendly pass overhead who I knew was being closely pursued. I then had a callout for a target directly off my nose, picked up on radar, IFF hostile, dropped from radar due to terrain, regained contact, IFF again hostile, fired twice (as clean R-3R shots are a rarity and I'd rather use them while I can) and as the missiles hit and he passed over I spotted the triangular planform and heard the reaction over comms. It was at that point I realised that SRS, which had been fine up until that point, was not transmitting and probably hadn't been for several minutes, and as I scrambled to type in chat the actual F-5 killed me - he must've been very close when it happened, no more than a few seconds passed. As far as the MiG's radar goes, I know what a merged friendly looks like. I also know what a pair of very clever F-5s flying in close trail looks like - one of them has to slide slightly out of formation before you realise it's two enemies rather than a single friendly. In this case the only contact I saw, and the one I locked, IFF'd hostile immediately before I locked it.

IFF in itself is not properly simulated, but coalition-based "IFF" certainly is. If you don't turn the system on, you will come up as unidentified/hostile. This is the reason Hornets used to teamkill constantly back in the day and still frequently do - if either the target aircraft's IFF is powered off or the firing aircraft's identification system is powered off, it will return unidentified. Just because it is not a properly-simulated transponder system doesn't mean it's not there. We just have a simple coalition-based abstraction instead.

In a closing head-on engagement with both sides having all-aspect missiles and a damaged friendly saying he has an F-5 directly behind him closing to firing range, you can't reliably visually ID until either yourself or that friendly is dead. It was an unfortunate circumstance but it happened. I've been teamkilled at least a dozen times on the server because of friendlies firing heaters into a dogfight or someone forgetting to IFF a new contact after a hostile one faded, it just comes with the territory and I would hope everyone who plays here realises that you can have the best GCI in the world and everyone with IFF on, and still, a missile seeker head will sometimes get distracted by a friendly and make a turn you didn't think it would, or in a confusing mess of planes someone will see a shape and their brain will 'autocomplete' to what it expects to see, not what's actually there.

I really, really wish the ingame VOIP system wasn't a laggy mess... SRS is great when it works, but I've had so many problems with the scripts breaking or connection dropping that it drives me mad sometimes. Such is life with third party addons.

Yup, in an ideal world everyone would be on comms, whichever option but ideally the same one for each server.

Ryzen 5800x@5Ghz | 96gb DDR4 3200Mhz | Asus Rx6800xt TUF OC | 500Gb OS SSD + 1TB Gaming SSD | Asus VG27AQ | Trackhat clip | VPC WarBRD base | Thrustmaster stick and throttle (Deltasim minijoystick mod).

F14 | F16 | AJS37 | F5 | Av8b | FC3 | Mig21 | FW190D9 | Huey

Been playing DCS from Flanker 2.0 to present 😄

Я вобщё если не уверен кто передо мной не стреляю !Только после определения свой? чужой).Хотя иногда,это стоило мне жизни)

I had a damaged friendly pass overhead who I knew was being closely pursued.......... Such is life with third party addons.

If I'm correct, this was in the mission When The Mountains Cry?

If so, I was that GCI operator. I notified the MiG-21 of you and told him it's another MiG on his 12, so no need to worry. Right after that I tried to contact you to tell you it's a friendly on your 12, so make sure you don't fire at him, but rather at the F-5 9-10 km behind him. You weren't responding so I told the MiG driver to be careful because I saw you climbing up to him and had to assume you were going to shoot! And exactly as I had speculated you fired at the MiG. I believe, I also typed that in the chat to make sure we have no friendly fire, but I'd never blame anyone for not paying attention to the chat because frankly it's not supposed to be there in the middle of a flight. Either we're on comms or not. Which is why I sometimes urge GCI operators to stop providing BRAA's in the chat window for those who are not on comms.

The MiG was damaged so maybe that's why his IFF system wasn't working. Maybe, not sure though. And if he appeared as one dash on your radar screen, then all good. Friendly fire happens all the time in real life. However, if we all had been on comms, this wouldn't have happened.

Again, I only suppose we're talking about the same incident here. And I'm not blaming anyone here for anything. We all commit friendly fire for all types of weird reasons and/or justifiable reasons. And it happened to me as well so surely I'm not blaming you or anyone. We're just talking about it in a good spirit, I hope.

The other day in the mission Five Points Unleashed, I was doing GCI and had a guy in the MiG-21 (not you) who was not on comms, entered a dogfight with multiple friendlies and bandits. The outcome was, he was chasing down 2 MiG's for less than a minute and shot them both down with R-60 missiles while they were trying to run down an A-10A. Frustrating as hell. The bandits had the upper hand after that and we were pushed back almost all the way to Maykop. Still captured all 5 airbases 2-3 hours after that, but that incident was frustrating nonetheless.

I do GCI quite often and it always comes down to this: The more people we have on comms, the easier it is to gain air superiority and organise the forces at hand. Incredibly beautiful to see how we barely lose any MiG's at all. Almost everyone flies to battle and actually gets the chance to RTB multiple times! The helicopters are having a good time and so do the strikers. On such occasions everyone's having the time of their life on the server and you see how the enemy slowly gets frustrated to the extent that some of them start leaving the server. Not that I want them to, but this shows how effective teamwork can be and what an impact it can have on the enemy.

On a side note, there were times were Blue had a good GCI operator who helped them win the day. So it's not that Red wins all the time.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

Speaking of GCI did you have any luck getting LotAtc running?

Also a suggestion (sorry for the work :P ) ;

-Move human flight comms to a seperate frequency from AI EWR. Some players are quiet but AI always shouts.

-ATC frequency for ATC. Using SRS for runway traffic is great but when the server is busy it clogs up the GCI frequency.

For aircraft that cannot manually dial a frequency (L-39, MiG-19 and MiG-21 are the only ones?) they'll need setting in the ME

On caucuses L-39 is missing Novorossiysk & Sukhumi.

MiG-21 is missing Krasnodar P, Soganlug & Vaziani.

MiG-19... well that as you know is missing most airfields.

On PG they'll have to be set as reqd.

Speaking of GCI did you have any luck getting LotAtc running?

Also a suggestion (sorry for the work :P ) ;

-Move human flight comms to a seperate frequency from AI EWR. Some players are quiet but AI always shouts.

-ATC frequency for ATC. Using SRS for runway traffic is great but when the server is busy it clogs up the GCI frequency.

For aircraft that cannot manually dial a frequency (L-39, MiG-19 and MiG-21 are the only ones?) they'll need setting in the ME

On caucuses L-39 is missing Novorossiysk & Sukhumi.

MiG-21 is missing Krasnodar P, Soganlug & Vaziani.

MiG-19... well that as you know is missing most airfields.

On PG they'll have to be set as reqd.

Already in the making...

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Agreed, the Harrier should be removed as soon as F4 comes out.

If I'm correct, this was in the mission When The Mountains Cry?

Yeah, it was. I got a taste of my own medicine earlier today though, the guy I was coming to support panicked when he got a merge call and I ate a missile. At one point I think there was also a single F-5 somehow baiting a bunch of MiGs into shooting at each other, thankfully they were all terrible shots and not a single one teamkilled anybody :lol:

The server was absolutely jumping on Catch Me If You Can and especially Sail Ahoy, it was awesome seeing (and hearing!) so many MiG formation takeoffs. I also made my second kill using an enemy Chaparral, this time instead of killing my target it smacked an F-5 that was trying to get me off of the Viggen I was chasing. I think the Chaparrals are more of a help to red than they are to blue!

Health to all. Why doesn’t anyone communicate on srs radio? I always turn on the radio on MiG21, and the last time no one speaks. Yes, I speak Russian, but why don’t anyone answer me?) I’m changing honesty, the same channel at start.

Any chance we can get a couple of C-101CC added to Five Points Unleashed, maybe at Krymsk? :pilotfly:

Health to all. Why doesn’t anyone communicate on srs radio? I always turn on the radio on MiG21, and the last time no one speaks. Yes, I speak Russian, but why don’t anyone answer me?) I’m changing honesty, the same channel at start.

It's real hit-and-miss with people coming up on SRS, on both sides. Sometimes you'll be alone, other times there will 10 or more, plus others on the helicopter circuits. Just keep trying, maybe put a short note in the text chat requesting people come up on 124Mhz.