Navigation technologies in the Pacific Theater of Operations. - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 05-16-2020, 11:56 AM   #11
Starfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger4-2 View Post
So I suppose I just want to speculate for a moment...what do you guys think will be our options as far as navigation and getting back to the carrier, particularly at night? !

As far as my reseach goes, night sorties from carries are operationel exceptions from the rule. They simply diden't do it becourse the risk was not worth it.
The Royal Navy's strike on Tarranto are one of the few exceptions.
They would send the strikes out a dawn, sometimes before the first light, but returning in darkness was almost never done.

Nightflying was restricted to land based bombers, transports and specialized nightfighters which had the ability co carry heavy nav radios as well as having RADAR to guide them home.

I flew a a lot of IL-2 1946 SEOW campaigns; Some from carriers. YE-Hayrake was the only tool to find your carrier as sea, since deadreckoning is useless when there are nothing but sea around you and wind could push you out of course.

https://youtu.be/9ljgmXx07R8?list=PL..._YqsHfeQ&t=168
Starfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 04:13 PM   #12
AG-51_Razor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfire View Post

I flew a a lot of IL-2 1946 SEOW campaigns; Some from carriers. YE-Hayrake was the only tool to find your carrier as sea, since deadreckoning is useless when there are nothing but sea around you and wind could push you out of course.

https://youtu.be/9ljgmXx07R8?list=PL..._YqsHfeQ&t=168

As did I and I can say that DR (dead reckoning) navigation was not that bad. If you have an E6B navigation computer or have a virtual one online, you can be very accurate flying around in the virtual world of DCS or IL-2 and the biggest source of error is you not holding a planned course or airspeed and not minding the clock. The reason being that the winds set in the ME are constant throughout the map. Time, distance and heading are extremely useful in the absence of GPS or inertial nav

Having said all of that, I would still like to see ED model the Hayrake radio navigation system
Old 05-16-2020, 08:14 PM   #13
xvii-Dietrich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew8604 View Post
One of my dreams about WWII-era flying, too. Inspired by old movies like, "Air Force" (1943). Although, I had never heard of the YE-ZB until now. B-17's, PBY's and other patrol aircraft going out several hundreds of miles to sea in search of enemy ships. The navigator's desk and radio operator's station aboard these larger planes. So far not a part of DCS's short-range tactical air combat. I think HF radio would be interesting in DCS, and MW and SW radio. If there could be a radio spectrum simulation associated with scenery maps where broadcast stations of the era could be received with realistic attenuation and interference from various sources, such as thunderstorms and ionosphere. I imagine being able to tune in vintage radio programs and vintage music while flying in the DCS map (ability to load your own mp3 files and have them sound like they are coming over the airwaves from long distance). Would one be able to tune in broadcasts from Hawaii or Australia from locations like the Mariannas or the Solomons? And that's not to mention sending and receiving key coded radio messages. I don't think they used Morse code, but we could use that, as well as an optional Morse code to text and text-to-code conversion tool in-game. Sometimes interference would make the coded message difficult to receive where only a partial message could be understood. And so forth. That would really help with immersion in the sim/game, especially on long flights over the Pacific. Imagine being able to send a key-coded message from a patrol aircraft on location of enemy ships, and then AI carrier battle group would "understand" message and launch planes on an airstrike. Way beyond the short attention span of most DCS players, I know, but it's a cool dream, I think...if we are entertaining the idea of WWII aviation at all.

There are a lot of good suggestions in this thread, but the above sums it up for me...

Radio operator in a Catalina on long-range maritime patrol, chattering out the morse, and doing trigonometry on the plotting chart to find some calm water in a quiet island bay to land. Bliss.
xvii-Dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 08:27 PM   #14
MAXsenna

Bring it on please!!!

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk
MAXsenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 01:01 PM   #15
Zeagle

By the end of the war they had pretty sophisticated nav capabilities. But all you need is a radio direction finder, a compass (or the stars), and some math. dead reckoning is pretty accurate if done correctly. I trained in aircraft before GPS was a thing. I didn't get lost.

As far as playing period broadcasts over radio stations goes, this is all possible through the mission editor already as far as I can tell. You just need some sound files and a little coding
Zeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 09:13 AM   #16
saburo_cz

Leatherneck Simulations writes in 2020 Spring update "...we took an effort to implement a Ye/Zb radio navigation system used by U.S. aircraft during WW2...".

So, one day, WWII Marianas map, F4U-1D and Essex CV slass with working Ye/Zb radio
(everyone could have dreams)

http://leatherneck-sim.com/2020/05/20/crouching-update/