4x250 bombs...any luck?

Lawlcat

Has anyone had any luck deploying the 4x250 bombs yet? I am able to use the 500kg bomb easy enough, just pick a fuzing profile and hit weapon release. The same motions for me don't seem to do anything to the 4x rack however.

Any tips?

I've had the same problems too. I've tried the fusing selector in all positions and at the same time, tried it at many different angles of attack within peramaters, and still no luck. I see the button depressing, no luck. I even checked to see if the Rocket arming switches were involved. No luck. I've also made sure to be holding the nose straight, no luck. Also short and long push's on the Release button don't seem to help me either

The only way I have been able to release a bomb was to hit the emergency jettison. :(

You folks mean 4x 50 kg right?

I have no issues releasing them when I get fusing selector to MV position. It releases one at a time. Hurting anything thougher than a truck with them is, though, whole another story :)

Actually I was thinking starting a A-G thread for Dora, asking how much success yoy folks have with it, using strafing and 4x 50 kg bombs. 500 kg bomb seems pretty powerful indeed, but I am yet to do much with other two options.

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

I'm not having much trouble straifing targets on the ground ( other than holding the rudder in a steady position ) , but bombing seems to be beyond me for some reason.

No matter which position the fusing switch is in, nor angle of attack, can I get any of the 4 bombs to release. Even while flying straight and level. I have followed the directions in the Manual to the very letter. :(

Usually, when I have something like this happen, it usually means there's a tiny little switch ( or dirty big one ) right in front of me that will fix the problem.

I tried for about 1 hour today and I could not get a release. :(

Works for me.

But I encountered something strange, though. For training and fun reasons, I have "unlimited weapons" enabled. I can drop the first 4 bombs without problems. Then, after the magical in-flight re-supplying, they cease to function - they won't drop. Probably because there is some counter that already counted "4 bombs dropped" (i.e. the 4 lamps are actually off already!).

I consider this as a (minor) bug. Unlimited weapons should also reset this counter.

Another observation with SC 50 bombs. Just saw watching a track, one bomb of a pair was a dud, it hit the ground near targets but didn't explode and vanished in a small pop of white smoke. Other bomb in the pair exploded normally (but hit further away from targets and didn't damage them).

Do we have dud bombs modeled now? :)

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

source: "Das Handwerkzeug für den Bombenwurf" (handbook bombing)

Bomb selector panel settings:

"Aus" (off)

"Wagerecht" (flat attack angle) -> 0-30 degrees dive angle

"Sturzflug" (dive attack angle) -> over 30 degrees dive angle

m.V. = mit Verzögerung (using electrical fuse delay)

o.V. = ohne Verzögerung (without using electrical fuse delay)

In the graphs below you will see (for different fuse types and dive attack angles) the minimal release heights (in meters) at 450 and 550 km/h with (m.V.) and without (o.V.) using electrical fuse delay.

Please also watch

for gunsight setting; it works quite well for me.

BombPanel_FW190A8_DM_01.jpg

961005084_Sturzflug-450kmh.thumb.jpg.2102aa5e1b7db1a3c8347a04acc00862.jpg

1204828800_Sturzflug-550kmh.thumb.jpg.bdb174a035ebe7d35392946af4c2533f.jpg

Edited by Hans-Joachim Marseille

Still Can't drop a Bomb

After reading the above information, ( "Wagerecht" (flat attack angle) -> 0-30 degrees dive angle ) I again started a mission of my own making and tested to see if I could drop a 50kg bomb.

I followed the directions as per the Manual, and while flying "relatively " level and using the above fuse setting, I am unable to drop a bomb, nor figure out what I am missing.

I have supplied a .trk file of the flight in hope's someone may have the time to watch it and help me figure out what I am doing wrong.

In the .trk file, I take off, turn around and fly level-ish, I set up ( what I understand to be the required settings ) and try dropping a bomb.

I show the button responding as expected and switch to an external view to demonstrate that the bombs are not releasing. During these shots, I am continuously pressing the Release Weapon button.

I have also watched a few video's ( including the recommended video above ) and I have noticed 1 glaring difference that tells me I am missing something.

Above the fusing selector switch, there are a series of lights. I noticed in the video above, that prior to dropping the bomb, that light was lit up. After dropping the bomb the light goes out.

At no time have I seen that light lit when I am trying to drop a bomb. Obviously there must be a power switch or circuit breaker I am missing.

Can anyone spot what I am doing wrong ? Apart from forgetting to set Take Off Trim and almost forgetting my landing gear upon landing ( and my best landing yet :D ), what am I doing wrong ?

If anyone has the time to check it out, I would be very grateful for your help :joystick:

DCS FW-190 D-9.Cannot Drop Bombs.trk

Edited by Spasticatedtoad

Interesting......

Just for comparison, I loaded the exact same scenario, but this time I switched the Drop Tank for the 500kg bomb.

Using the same procedure as I used in the previous .trk file, I tried to release the 500kg bomb.

I noticed the Lights above the fusing Switch was not lit again, but on the first push of the Release Weapons button, the bomb released as expected and exploded upon impact.

If others are following the same procedure and are able to release the 4x 50kg bombs, maybe something is borked in my installation?

I'll try a repair and see if that makes any difference at all. Shame I didnt think about that before posting :/

DCS FW-190 D-9.I can drop the 500.trk

@spastictoad: seems to me like a variation of the bug i described in posting #6.

Seems that the rearming does not set or reset the "bomb counter" (the lights). I had a similar problem with "unlimited weapons" with the SC50 while the SC500 worked.

Try to start the mission directly with the SC50 loadout - then the lights should be lit and the bombs should be droppable.

Excellent. Thankyou

@spastictoad: seems to me like a variation of the bug i described in posting #6.

Seems that the rearming does not set or reset the "bomb counter" (the lights). I had a similar problem with "unlimited weapons" with the SC50 while the SC500 worked.

Try to start the mission directly with the SC50 loadout - then the lights should be lit and the bombs should be droppable.

Thanks Flagrum for checking that out for me. You are correct. I did read your post and suspected it may be related, but as I was not using 'Unlimited Weapons', I was not sure if the problem was just limited to that. I tried your suggestion and had 100% success. Lights were lit and all. ( .trk file below )

Just prior to seeing your post, I started the scenario in the same manner, changed the loadout from the Fuel tank to the 1x500kg bomb. I took off and dropped it as in the previous track files.

I then landed, re-armed with 4x500kg bombs and tried the same proceedure. No luck.

And never saw the Lights lit up at either time.

Out of curiosity, I did run a Repair on DCS in case, and the situation has not changed.

At least now I know that I am doing the right thing when trying to drop a bomb. When it seemed so simple, it was kinda frustrating to not be able to drop the 50kg bombs.:joystick:

DCS FW-190 D-9.Yes.Now I can Drop 50kg Bombs.trk

• 4 years later...

@mods: can we move this to the bugs sub-forum? ty!