Are switches hearable IRL?

viper2097

I really love the sound of the switches in some modules. Great work from the sound designers. You can nearly feel them flipping.

BUT:

When flying in an military jet, probably with afterburner engaged, wearing your helmet with headphones, is it realistic to still hear the clicking of a switch or button?

Steam user - Youtube

I am for quality over quantity in DCS modules

I own quite a few Honeywell and Cutler Hammer MS part number toggle switches, most of which are the part numbers used in the real Hornet, so I think I can give a fairly accurate response to this.

The mil spec toggles have a very nice “thunk” sound to them when they click in to place, but I doubt you’d be able to hear it with headphones in and a helmet on. Seems a bit embellished IMO, most likely by design.

Disclaimer: I say “doubt” because I’ve never been in a running jet with headphones and helmet on to say for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by =Buckeye=

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

You guys must have fancy sound systems, because with the engines running in DCS I can't hear any of the switches I flip :D

Check Hear in helmet in the sounds and you will hear them.

To answer the OP, no you would not hear them in the cockpit over the avionics, the jet, while wearing hearing protection and helmet.

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

stepped_with_391_new_small.png

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog

I lean heavily on the side that they wouldn't be possible to hear in cockpit of a fighter with afterburners or a gigantic powerful piston engine etc. But I also completely understand why they are made the way they are in the simulations.

Unlike in real life, we don't get any tactile, physical feedback from anything, so it's nice to have some form of feedback, and they also sound cool, adding to immersion without detracting anything important from realism.

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

In the F-16 and in the F-117 you can't hear them, even at idle with the buzzing of the avionics, the radios, the double hearing protection, etc. But like other mention, since we have little to no "feel" of the aircraft in DCS, the clinking of switches is necessary (for me) to get some feed back. Sound is one of the few thing we have to tell us if some switch move or if you move a lever. I know it help me for example on the AB for the Viggen or the Landing gear of the MIg-21. The sound help me know is working without me looking.

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

And odd as it may seem, in a fighter the engines are hardly heard at all; most of the noise is from the airflow and air conditioning system. In the F-4 you could not hear your afterburners lightoff (you could feel them, of course), the engine sound was more vibration than noise. Now, on the runway you could hear your leader/wingman's burners, of course, but in the air you had to be real close (like during a crossover in formation, or close trail) to hear the noise of the engines.

Switches? Not after engine start.

In the F-4 the outside mirrors made the most noise; when you had two of them installed and were cooking along at 540kts/200ft, IT WAS LOUD. But at altitude it was OK.

In my few flights in F-16s one of the things I noticed was how loud the AC was in the rear cockpit. Way louder than the F-4 - you had to wear earplugs under your helmet in the Viper, while in the F-4 you could take your helmet off and talk between cockpits (at cruise, of course). All the in-cockpit videos of F-16s sound so quiet - Fake news!

Vulture