Cannot set Cockpit Landing View SnapView

Igor4U

After adjusting, I found a View that works well for me for landing the MiG-15bis.

I Narrow the Field of View (Zooming In) from default "5", and Shift it Left and slighty Up (elevated) to keep a clear view of the Runway. I also manage to keep the 0 to -15 Meters/sec Scale in view on the VVI.

But the normal method of setting a Snap View is Not Working:

- (LWin + NumN) then (RAlt + Num0)

- DisableSnapViewsSaving = false and UseDefaultSnapViews = false (are set in Views.lua)

Then I noticed that the MiG-15 had its own preset (Hard-Wired) Snap Views (Views.lua in main MiG-15bis Folder) that seem to take precedence over Account User Saved Games DCS - Config-View-SnapViews.lua Settings. This seems unique to the MiG-15, other aircraft don't have there own from what I can see.

The MiG-15bis does not want to save my Lnading SnapView. This causes me to pause the Sim to set the landing picture. I tried disabling the number of the Default SnapView in the MiG-15bis Folder that I wanted to reserve for my Landing SnapView. That didn't seem to work.

Any Ideas on how to set my Landing View ?

Thanx !

BVR

Igor4U !

210598987_MiG-15bisLandingView.thumb.jpg.02f9321ac02c8f9fbe7fe4d46ad85ce5.jpg

876549980_MiG-15bisViews-lua.thumb.jpg.27d55efb09f0d9d0c4c1854e2f89366b.jpg

519904741_SnapViews.jpg.3eb190a96cd1a7a980c022e857aac300.jpg

I think you are trying to modify the wrong file. Check in your \[user name]\dcs saved game\config\view folder and modify that View.lua file

At the bottom of each aircraft section is a part called something like Default. That is the part you need to change to make it work.

Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)  | AMD Ryzen 9 5900X @ 4,5Ghz | 128Gb DDR4 3200Mhz | beQuiet! Dark Power 12 1200W | 2 x 2Tb M.2 Samsung SSD | 2 x 4 Tb M.2 Samsung SSD |  Aorus RTX3090 Xtreme 24Gb | Windows 10 Pro x64 | HOTAS Cougar (heavily modified) | MFG Crosswind pedals | CH Throttle Quadrant | TrackIR5 | Oculus Quest 2 | VoiceAttack

Aviate Navigate Communicate

Thanks Razorback !

Copy All.

DCS World has its own View files that are Default. They are located here:

C:\DCS World\Config\View\(both View.lua and SnapViewsDefault.lua)

You should not modify those 2 default 'View' files.

I understand that when you make Snap View changes (while flying in DCS World), yes - it is supposed to save those changes in this pathway (specific to your User Account):

C:\Users\UserAccount\Saved Games\DCS\Config\View\SnapViews.lua

What I'm saying is that those changes are NOT being saved.

Setting personalized SnapViews (using normal procedures) wasn't working for me.

My MiG-15bis would not accept a change to its default Snap View.

Then I noticed that Belsimtek Birds have a file called Views.lua in their Aircraft Folders:

C:\DCS World\Mods\aircraft\MiG-15bis\Views.lua

C:\DCS World\CoreMods\aircraft\MiG-15bis\Views.lua

These particular Views.lua files have Snap Views defined in their Code.

Normally, Snap Views are defined in the file called SnapView.lua (in Users-Saved Games).

I suspect that this dedicated Views.lua file is hard-wiring (hard-coding) the Snap Views for Belsimtek Birds - and Users can't change them ?

Some of my other Aircraft (for example: Leatherneck Sim's MiG-21bis) do NOT have a Views.lua file in their Aircraft Folder.

The Belsimtek F-86 has a very handy Auto-View function that when you lower the landing Gear the Cockpit (looking forward) View changes to a View that is optimized for landing the aircrfat. The Seat is evelvated to look over the nose better and the Views also allows for nice cross-check of Airspeed and VVI. But Belsimtek (as far as I know) did NOT code in a special Landing View for the MiG-15.

So what I'm trying to do is set a Snap View for the MiG-15bis (as shown in initial Post) to be used in Landing Phase of Flight. Sure - I can O'Pause' and adjust View for every time I'm coming in for a landing - but setting a Snap View is the easiest way to do this.

So I'm gonna work the problem a little more and see what I come up with.

PS: I may "--" double-dash out one of their pre-defined Snap Views in their Views.lua file, and then try to set a personalized Snap View that will take in Saved Games.

Need a Landing View

Well "--" (double-dashing) out the default SnapView Code didn't work.

I'm trying to personalize Snap View 8 (Num7).

There are differences between my UserAccount-Saved Games and the MiG-15bis Views in terms of SnapView8 [7]

Snap View 8 (uses NumPad Number 7)

In C:\Users\UserAccount\Saved Games\DCS\Config\View\SnapViews.lua

[8] = {--LWin + Num7 : Snap View 7

viewAngle = 95.869705,--FOV

hAngle = 0.000000,

vAngle = -5.927970,

x_trans = -0.000804,

y_trans = 0.011892,

z_trans = -0.069129,

rollAngle = 0.000000,

In C:\DCS World\Mods\aircraft\MiG-15bis\Views.lua

[8] = head_pos_default({

viewAngle = 99.106483,--FOV

hAngle = 131.835434,

vAngle = -7.700000,

x_trans = 0.116748,

y_trans = 0.040000,

z_trans = -0.063734,

rollAngle = 0.000000,}),--LWin + Num7 : Snap View 7 - Left Wing

BUT - IT Aint Working !

Hey Belsimtek - Need a little Help- here - Please !

No matter what I do - NumPad #7 (SnapView8) gives me 10:30 o'Clock High View.

Attaching Picture.

So if SnapViews (in MiG-15bis) are not configurable; how about giving us a Landing View (some button or key) where we can see:

- Forward by being Left of the Gunsight

- Slightly Elevated to see over the Nose

- Still have VVI scale (0 to -15 meters/sec) in sight

Thank You !

992946751_MiG-15bisSnapView8(NumPadNumber7).thumb.jpg.b44433d9cb15f5bf7e3ad63c4caa947c.jpg

Think I Got it - OK !

Here's what I was missing on Snap View:

I knew how to set:

1. Set View you Want

2. Assign Snap View to NumPad Number: LWin + Num#

3. Save Snap View: RAlt + Num0

4. To Use SnapView Mode (toggle in/out): RCtrl + Num0 - then hit you SnapView Number (View you Want)

Notes: In SnapView Mode - you cannot Zoom or Pan. View is Fixed. That's OK for me when Landing.

*** I had never known you have to toggle into and out-of Snap View Mode. I thought that (in flight) you just hit the Number (SnapView) you want ???

=================================================

How to Create New Snap Views

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=124975&highlight=Snap+Views

thinkr wrote:

I figured it out thanks for the support.

1.2.8 didn't change much thought it did make it easier.

Not much File Editing involved except set:

DisableSnapViewsSaving = true

Within this file:

C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Config\View\View.lua

SnapViews.lua

Gets automatically created by DCS in the

C:\Users\[uSER]\Saved Games\DCS\Config\View

Folder when you save a snap view.

RCtrl+Num0 Changes snap views to "toggle" mode.

• 1 month later...