ILS

williehayesjr

Does the F18C have a guidance system similar to an ILS' localizer? It is so difficult for me to find the runway or even the airport. I make the two 180 degree turns, coming out of the downwind 180 turn to final I seem to never come out to or near the target runway heading. Same result when I make the two180 degree turns at a 30 degree bank.

Squid509, how do I determine if the course line in on the desired runway heading? In other words, when the turn the course line, within the TACAN, how will I know what heading? Right now, the only way I can get the course line is if I fly directly over the targeted runway and then plot the course line. Note: when I turn the course line, is there a corresponding heading number anywhere?

Does the F18C have a guidance system similar to an ILS' localizer? It is so difficult for me to find the runway or even the airport. I make the two 180 degree turns, coming out of the downwind 180 turn to final I seem to never come out to or near the target runway heading. Same result when I make the two180 degree turns at a 30 degree bank.

That question comes again and again.

The Hornet has ICLS, which looks like ILS from pilot point of view, but it's incompatible with land ILS system.

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

Squid509, how do I determine if the course line in on the desired runway heading? In other words, when the turn the course line, within the TACAN, how will I know what heading? Right now, the only way I can get the course line is if I fly directly over the targeted runway and then plot the course line. Note: when I turn the course line, is there a corresponding heading number anywhere?

open up the knee board Rshift K

is [ and ] to flip the page and look for the filed you want to land at

at the ends of the runway there is the runway heading don't use the runway number this rounded to the nearest 10 and would put you off the runway

https://imgur.com/a/cuE5REc

I set the course line on the runway, just before takeoff. By the time I get to the destination airport, the course line has changed all on its own. Please see just how difficult it is to set the course line prior to taking off, even if one knows the destination runway heading. Again, when I turn the course line, while on the departing runway, is there a corresponding numerical value for the selected course any where or on any display?

That question comes again and again.

The Hornet has ICLS, which looks like ILS from pilot point of view, but it's incompatible with land ILS system.

I had a talk to a Swiss Air Force F18 pilot yesterday, the Swiss Hornets support ICLS and ICAO CAT I ILS, which, based on discussions in this forum, must be a pretty unique feature.

LSMP ILS IPY 109.30 / IPN 109.95

LSGS ISI 108.35

LSME IME 110.35

X-Plane 11.5x / DCS 2.5.6 / P3Dv5 / Aerofly FS 2 / War Thunder

Win10-x64 | ASUS Z390 Maximus VI | Intel i7-9700K @3.6GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB DDR4 | 6TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro | 2TB M2 PCI 4x | ASUS GTX 1080 ROG STRIX 8GB DDR5X | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Combat Pedals | Oculus Rift S

I had a talk to a Swiss Air Force F18 pilot yesterday, the Swiss Hornets support ICLS and ICAO CAT I ILS, which, based on discussions in this forum, must be a pretty unique feature.

LSGS ISI 108.35

LSME IME 110.35

Very strange.

Maybe they upgraded with the latest Hornet compatible ILS system for sustainability, and it happened to be finally compatible with ICLS.

But since ED is making a US Navy Hornet...:music_whistling:

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

But since ED is making a US Navy Hornet...:music_whistling:

Unfortunately ...

Win10-x64 | ASUS Z390 Maximus VI | Intel i7-9700K @3.6GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB DDR4 | 6TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro | 2TB M2 PCI 4x | ASUS GTX 1080 ROG STRIX 8GB DDR5X | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Combat Pedals | Oculus Rift S

Kinda like being a race car driver in a rented car...

Good on the Swiss pilot though.

I amended my earlier comment.

Not the first one. Capt Ralph Iseli was on board of CVN-65 for its carrier qualification in 2010 i believe. ;)

LSGS ISI 108.35

LSME IME 110.35

No its not unique. Pretty much all the foreign operators have this option (which includes VOR and DME and have had the USN ACLS system removed. Mechanization is via the ILS button on the UFC and boxing ILS or VOR as required. CSEL entry on the UFC allows entry of the QDM. To get DME the HI DME option is boxed.

Be nice if ED could include this perhaps as a selectable Special feature.

RAAFVOR1.jpg

RAAFVOR2.jpg

RAAFVOR4.jpg

Raaf_ILS.jpg

The Blue Angels and RAAF FA18F/G's also have this option.

Edited by IvanK

• 1 month later...

Not gonna happen - and I'm quite disappointed. Wags replied in a Facebook discussion that neither conventional ILS is gonna be added, nor PAR. Which is a pity - because operators such as Finnish, Swiss, Spanish, Kuwaiti etc. Air Forces, just to name a few, don't base their Hornets on carriers but on normal airports and it would be very essential to have proper precision approach capability. This news basically destroyed my further interest in the Hornet - coming from civilian flight simulation - with a background of about 20 years or so - I truly love challenging night time and/or zero visibility approaches, and I thought it's not even a matter of question that the Hornet is gonna have ILS. I was wrong. Wags recommended to use TACAN or waypoints but that's a nonsense. Those are not precision approaches.

I truly love challenging night time and/or zero visibility approaches, and I thought it's not even a matter of question that the Hornet is gonna have ILS. I was wrong. Wags recommended to use TACAN or waypoints but that's a nonsense. Those are not precision approaches.

Well, if you love challenges, the F/A-18 is perfect for you! Flying an ILS approach is the easiest (and rather boring) form to get to the ground in bad weather.

A non precision approach like NDB or VOR/TACAN approach is challenging.

It's for sure more satisfying to drop out of the clouds at 300ft after a successful non-precision approach, than simply riding down to 200ft on the glideslope without the need for timing, distance, speed and vert speed checking.

As has been demonstrated IRL (with sometimes questionable outcome), nobody can keep you from continuing a non-precision approach well below minimum. This makes a non-precision approach even more challenging ;)

Initially I was frustrated with the F-5 because it doesn't have an ILS either, but I quickly re-discovered how satisfying a non-precision approach is...at least in the sim.

I have to admit that IRL I prefer the 'easy' way. ;)

Btw. I'm simming since the Commodore VIC 20 times, I'm flying IRL much longer than this and I don't know how BST and ED did it, but their F/A-18 is the most immersive airplane I ever came across in any sim. Extremely impressive.

I've never enjoyed FLYING in a sim that much before. The combination of superb graphics, sounds and the Hornets high alpha capability is simply unmatched :)

PS: Not even CATIIIB means zero visibility.

Edited by bbrz

i7-7700K 4.2GHz, 16GB, GTX 1070 

Adding ground based ICLS beacons is easy (as demonstrated below), so I see no reason why ED wouldn't do that after more inportant features are added.

If anyone is interested, I can post a short "how to"-guide (NOTE: Not IC compatible).

attachment.php?attachmentid=191004&stc=1&d=1532954420

attachment.php?attachmentid=191005&stc=1&d=1532954420

ICLS-1.thumb.png.4bd42d1eee3a56006365cbf33bbace8f.png

ICLS-2.thumb.png.19a742a2c2b86cfd7b7614ba5e6eabbc.png