The Jet Engine thread

Vitormouraa

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello all,

I came across this and thought of this thread. It is the air-traffic audio when the engine exploded on Southwest flight 1380. It's sort of related, hope it's not too far off topic. She is one hell of a pilot and must have nerves of steel! man you have to hear it. True Professionalism by all involved.

We are Virtual Pilots, a growing International Squad of pilots, we fly Allies in WWII and Red Force in Korea and Modern combat. We are recruiting like minded people of all Nationalities and skill levels.

http://virtual-pilots.com/

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

talking about jet engine

tqS_wTu1lH4

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Seems the 737 have been having engine problems for years.

cv4EwJCwLOc

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Seems the 737 have been having engine problems for years.

cv4EwJCwLOc/QUOTE]

Yes, It would seem there is defenitly an issue there. brings to mind when RR was going through the same kind of fan/fan center section failures several years ago

We are Virtual Pilots, a growing International Squad of pilots, we fly Allies in WWII and Red Force in Korea and Modern combat. We are recruiting like minded people of all Nationalities and skill levels.

http://virtual-pilots.com/

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

F110-GE-100

F110-GE-129

ixzvjBT98nU

Edited by mvsgas

To whom it may concern,

Chilean F110-GE-129

V5ppqosn2cw

Tittle is wrong

To whom it may concern,

He was talking about the compressor, main combustor, and AB combustor. He explained how the DEEC controls the nozzle, flame, compressor IGVs etc. The engine also powers a few systems of the aircraft such as the electrical system, hydraulic and so on.

Oh, and he also talked about hydrazine, dangerous stuff! :D

He was talking about the compressor, main combustor, and AB combustor. He explained how the DEEC controls the nozzle, flame, compressor IGVs etc. The engine also powers a few systems of the aircraft such as the electrical system, hydraulic and so on.

Oh, and he also talked about hydrazine, dangerous stuff! :D

Yo se, yo hablo español. :P

He mention the DEC (Digital Engine Control) DEEC (Digital Electronic Engine Control) is for PW

To whom it may concern,

This is the best comparison I have read between GE and PW engines

That_Engine_guy

At MAX power... :devil:

The PW-229's exhaust plume is 3200*F and traveling 1955 Kts; while moving 254lbs of air per second through the inlet/engine.

The GE-100/129's plume only reaches 2000*F and 1200 Kts; while moving 270lbs per second through the inlet/engine.

As you can see the PW-229 engine may use less air, but moves it much hotter/faster.

Roughly put: Thrust = Mass x Acceleration

So a GE is higher mass at a lower acceleration,

but a PW is lower mass at a higher acceleration

PW has kept the 254lbs/sec airflow requirement as it allows ANY F-16 to be fitted with a "newer" F100s without performance loss. Put a GE (needing 270lbs/sec) into a small-mouth (Older) Viper (giving only 254lbs/sec) and it will not perform as advertised.

So yes, a new Polish PW-229 would fit perfectly into a Dutch F-16A MLU with minor modifications. (Bleed air system mostly due to hotter source air.) The engine would suffer no ill effects or performance limitations when compared to being installed in Polish Block 52+.

http://www.f-16.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10197&start=15

To whom it may concern,

Yo se, yo hablo español. :P

Do I speak Spanish? not really, I understand it though, it's very similar to Portuguese (my mother language).

He mention the DEC (Digital Engine Control) DEEC (Digital Electronic Engine Control) is for PW

Oh, yeah I heard he saying "Digital engine Control", but I thought it was DEEC for both PW and GE engines, I didn't know they had different names for each individual engine. Thanks for letting me know!

Beautiful engine anyway...

They all use different terminology for no reason.

PW used the DEEC and back up is the Main Fuel Control (MFC).

GE have the DEC and back up is the Main Engine Control (MEC)

PW call them Compressor Inlet Variable Vanes (CIVV) and Rear Compressor variable vanes (RCVV). GE calls them Inlet Guide Vanes (IGV) and Variable Stator Vanes (VSV)

PW uses Fan Turbine Inlet Temperature (FTIT) measuring temperature leaving the hight pressure turbine (HPT) and entering the low pressure turbine (LPT) while GE reads EGT after the LPT. ( the still use FTIT in the cockpit for GE engine not to confuse pilots)

To whom it may concern,

Yeah, in reality, they are the same thing.

Just look at the Hornet, it has an EGT gauge. But sometimes I call it "ITT" (Interstage turbine temperature) and people get confused. They are actually the same thing, same as the A-10, F-15, Su-27/33 and so on. It measures the temperature between turbines.

So other day I explained to a guy on Reddit that using AB or not, the temperature will remain the same. Because the thermocouple is measuring the temperature at the T5 position, which is before the AB combustion chamber.

Unless the nozzles get jammed when AB is on, the temperature will not change, and RPM as well. The IFEI (Integrated Fuel and Engine Indicator) will not show AB fuel flow, so the only way to see if you're using AB is either Nozzles, which will open in order to not overheat the engines (excessive backpressure) and/or speed increasing depending on the situation and sounds from the exhaust.

But yeah they have different acronyms but in many cases, they mean the same thing.

which is before the AB combustion chamber.

Do you mean the flame holder? there is no AB combustion chamber.

The IFEI (Integrated Fuel and Engine Indicator) will not show AB fuel flow, so the only way to see if you're using AB is either Nozzles...

It won't show AB fuel flow? that is weird, on the F-16 it will. One the things you look for to make ensure proper AB light off is nozzle position and fuel flow. If not you suppose to come out of burner and try again.

Form the HAF F-16 -1

AB Blowout/Failure To Light GE129

AB blowouts are characterized by a thrust loss, a fuel

flow decrease, and nozzle closure. The DEC attempts

to relight the AB as long as the throttle remains in

AB.

Refer to Figure 1-17. If AB is selected in region 1 and

fails to light within 10 seconds or if the AB blows out

in any region, retard throttle out of AB. AB operation

should not be reattempted for the remainder of the

flight.

To whom it may concern,

ok, yeah I get it. I wonder why the 18 does not show AB fuel flow? I guess is not that important.

To whom it may concern,

To whom it may concern,

• 1 month later...

So is not a jet engine, but did not think it warranted a new thread and I just thought it look cool. Did not feel like necromancing 2008 thread neither.

onE8jKwtX8I

To whom it may concern,

• 2 months later...