[NO BUG] Nose wheel steering problem in 2.5.0 Release Version

450Devil

In the 2.5 Open Beta version the nose wheel steering works perfectly. In the new 2.5 Release version the nose wheel steering can stick unexpectantly and not follow the input from the rudder pedals when the nose wheel steering button is depressed.

I think this is a bug with the Release version. If not it is certainly a backwards step in simulating this great aircraft.

for information, I know two pilots who have / do fly the Sabre - albeit that they flew / fly the CAC Sabre which was produced under licence in Australia. One flew Sabres in the 60s and the other currently owns an airworthy Sabre which is kept at the Temora historical aviation facility in New South Wales. Both confirm that the Sabre's nose wheel steering is smooth and very precise and does not jam when turned to its port or starboard extreme arc of travel.

Are you sure you've got both installs set up the same (including special options for the Sabre)? For the time being, both Beta and Release versions of 2.5 are exactly the same build, so there can be no differences between them in how the physics of the plane itself works.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Yup, what Art says, both versions are identical at the moment and the steering works just fine on my end too. You sure this is not a controller problem?

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

Firstly to Art-J, msalama and QuiGon my heartfelt thanks.

Your replies to my problem prompted me to double check all my settings and I found that the Options/F86 page of the Open Beta version Nose Wheel Steering Simple Behaviour box was ticked and in the Release version it was not ticked. Ticking this setting in the Release version solved the issue.

Thanks you guys.

Firstly to Art-J, msalama and QuiGon my heartfelt thanks.

Your replies to my problem prompted me to double check all my settings and I found that the Options/F86 page of the Open Beta version Nose Wheel Steering Simple Behaviour box was ticked and in the Release version it was not ticked. Ticking this setting in the Release version solved the issue.

Thanks you guys.

I wasn't aware that there is an option for a simplified NWS. I was curious what it actually does and checked the manual. What it says might be of interest for you:

NOSEWHEEL STEERING SIMPLE BEHAVIOUR (description).

If checked (simplified behavior, default): to engage the NWS system, only the NWS button has to be pressed. This is unrealistic, because the positions of the nose wheel and rudder pedals do not play a role for engaging the NWS system. In this mode, when the NWS button is pressed, the nose wheel is "automatically synchronized" with rudder pedal position.

If unchecked (realistic behavior): to engage the NWS system, the NWS button has to be pressed and the rudder pedals must be aligned in the direction the nose wheel is turned, i.e. the nose wheel has to be “caught” with the rudder pedals for synchronization (when nose wheel and rudder pedals are coordinated in this manner, the nose wheel steering unit is automatically engaged). Note that the wheel can be in a position outside of rudder pedal authority and can not be caught at all. The nose wheel unit will not engage if the nose wheel is more than 21° either side of the center. Should the nose wheel be turned more than this, it must be brought into the steering range by use of the wheel brakes.

Maybe that explains the issues you have with the realistic NWS system, as it is realistic that the NWS gets stuck as you have to "catch" it with the rudder pedals? It's intended behaviour as it is how it worked in the real thing. Because of this I've developed the habit in the Sabre to only push/release the NWS button when I'm going straight.

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

• 4 months later...