1980's Weapons and Equipment List

SgtPappy

I've been trying to compile a list of weapons for a 1980's Cold War scenario. I've been trying to find the Initial Operating Capability (IOC) of many of the weapons and equipment in FC3 aircraft and the A-10C (I know that the A-10C entered service in 2007 but the plane is close enough to the A-10A and would be a module people would want to fly so I would keep it in an 80's scenario).

I don't know much about the Russian planes so I have no idea which Su-25T weapons would have been in service in the 1980's. The FC3 manual has IOC's of some weapons, but not for the entire exhaustive list of weapons the Frogfoot has.

Also I can't find any IOC info on the SPS-171 Sorbstya ECM pods on the Su-27. It sounds like a very advanced system so I don't know if it entered service in the 80's or 90's. I also know little about the MiG-29's ECM dates.

If anyone has knowledge on the Russian equipment, please post it here. Thanks!

Edited by SgtPappy
SPS-121 was a typo for SPS-171

Su-25T didnt reach IOC till the early 90s - so none outside of testing - Su-25A did all the Astan work.

The 80s A-10A pre LASTE didnt even have CCIP or any bombing computer.

First version of the R-73 Accepted ~1985

R-27ET/RT ~1987

Sorbstya ECM pods on the Su-27(T-10S) at IOC on info I have

Su-25A used all the basic rockets and bombs - laser guided KH-25ML & KH-29L not used till 1986.

Sure someone will have more detailed info

(I know that the A-10C entered service in 2007 but the plane is close enough to the A-10A and would be a module people would want to fly so I would keep it in an 80's scenario).

No...you don´t even know how much difference the two MFCDs and the navigation and computer systems behind them make.

Even if you restrict the weapons and no TGP...a true 80ies scenario can pretty much only be archieved with FC3 and MiG-21.

MiG-21 was (and is) still in mainstay use by some countries at that time.

Amraam was not in operational use in the Gulf War, B version was introduced in 94 and C version in 96 so that´s out. Sparrow it is.

But you probably already knew that.

SU-25s in the beginning of Afghanistan carried KH-25Ls, not MLs tho. MLs came out later as said by Basher.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

GCI: "Control to SEAD: Enemy SAM site 190 for 30, cleared to engage"

Striker: "Copy, say Altitude?"

GCI: "....Deck....it´s a SAM site..."

Striker: "Oh...."

Fighter: "Yeah, those pesky russian build, baloon based SAMs."

-Red-Lyfe

Best way to troll DCS community, make an F-16A, see how dedicated the fans really are :thumbup:

Su-25T didnt reach IOC till the early 90s - so none outside of testing - Su-25A did all the Astan work.

The 80s A-10A pre LASTE didnt even have CCIP or any bombing computer.

First version of the R-73 Accepted ~1985

R-27ET/RT ~1987

Sorbstya ECM pods on the Su-27(T-10S) at IOC on info I have

Su-25A used all the basic rockets and bombs - laser guided KH-25ML & KH-29L not used till 1986.

Sure someone will have more detailed info

Thanks, guys. Basher, did you mean to say that you have no info on the Sorbstya ECM pods? Hopefully someone's got an IOC.

No...you don´t even know how much difference the two MFCDs and the navigation and computer systems behind them make.

Even if you restrict the weapons and no TGP...a true 80ies scenario can pretty much only be archieved with FC3 and MiG-21.

MiG-21 was (and is) still in mainstay use by some countries at that time.

Amraam was not in operational use in the Gulf War, B version was introduced in 94 and C version in 96 so that´s out. Sparrow it is.

But you probably already knew that.

SU-25s in the beginning of Afghanistan carried KH-25Ls, not MLs tho. MLs came out later as said by Basher.

That's true.. but from a server standpoint, all I can hear is people yelling "where the heck is the A-10C?" and then leave.

I think perhaps the best balance I can have is limiting weapons, but keep the A-10C and Su-25T. I'm not how many people will miss the Su-33 though.

but from a server standpoint, all I can hear is people yelling "where the heck is the A-10C?" and then leave.

Well maybe you should just make an ASTAN 80's server and then you don't have to worry about the missing A10-C. I can guarantee that if you did the job properly you wouldn't have to worry about the server being empty.

Just my opinion.

Save the A10-C for the ASTAN 00s server.

Thanks, guys. Basher, did you mean to say that you have no info on the Sorbstya ECM pods? Hopefully someone's got an IOC.

From the Yefim Su-27 book it looks like the pods were there from the original flanker 1985 IOC - but designation given is L-004 Sorbtsiya-S - Yefim books are detailed but not always sure.....

the SPS-171 (L-005) are possibly a later variant of the series.

They were available in limited quantities AFAIK, something like one set of pods per 4 aircraft. That aircraft would then be equipped with an additional ECM panel to control the pods.

The pilot could select the jamming method in some circumstances, but most of this was automated (if you think about the A-10C, it's more or less the same deal).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

I bought a Yefim Gordon's book last weekend, namely "Soviet/Russian Aircraft Weapons - Since World War Two". Since i only started reading it yesterday, i can't give you an answer right now, but i will have a look with regard to weapons and guidance systems. :book:

51CZP21G21L._SX378_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Edited by Vectury

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

-- i7 4790K

-- Club 3D R9 290X Royal Ace SOC

-- Asus Maximus VII Ranger

-- G.Skill Trident X 16GB DDR3-2400 CL10

-- Gelid Tranquillo rev.2

-- Corsair RM850

-- Corsair 760T White

-- Windows 10

That's true.. but from a server standpoint, all I can hear is people yelling "where the heck is the A-10C?" and then leave.

I think perhaps the best balance I can have is limiting weapons, but keep the A-10C and Su-25T. I'm not how many people will miss the Su-33 though.

Please don't. The 80s scenario is probably the most interesting one in the history of military aviation. Don't ruin it with unhistorical planesets like A10C and Su-25T or Su-33. If you have people compaining about an 80s planeset on an 80s scenario server, they are definetely the wrong people on the server.

Balance is absolutely no problem here! I'd say the 80s scenario with its original planes is by far the most balanced scenario one can have. A-10A vs. Su-25, F-15 vs. MiG-29 and Su-27, both with All Aspect IR and SARH missiles. If that is not a balanced set-up, what is? It is certainly much more fun than the AMRAAM volleys on other servers!

I'd love a realistic 80s server!!!

Please don't. The 80s scenario is probably the most interesting one in the history of military aviation. Don't ruin it with unhistorical planesets like A10C and Su-25T or Su-33. If you have people compaining about an 80s planeset on an 80s scenario server, they are definetely the wrong people on the server.

I completely agree. If people want to fly the A-10C on an 80's scenario then they should simply find a server that satisfies their needs.

By the way, i would love to have a server where the MIG-21bis is the main fighter for the red's. So when the Dassault Mirage F1 and/or the Northrop F-5 come out, there could be a server focused on the 1970's too.

Edited by Vectury

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

-- i7 4790K

-- Club 3D R9 290X Royal Ace SOC

-- Asus Maximus VII Ranger

-- G.Skill Trident X 16GB DDR3-2400 CL10

-- Gelid Tranquillo rev.2

-- Corsair RM850

-- Corsair 760T White

-- Windows 10

Balance is absolutely no problem here! I'd say the 80s scenario with its original planes is by far the most balanced scenario one can have. A-10A vs. Su-25, F-15 vs. MiG-29 and Su-27, both with All Aspect IR and SARH missiles. If that is not a balanced set-up, what is? It is certainly much more fun than the AMRAAM volleys on other servers!

I'd love a realistic 80s server!!!

I completely agree. If people want to fly the A-10C on an 80's scenario then they should simply find a server that satisfies their needs.

By the way, i would love to have a server where the MIG-21bis is the main fighter for the red's. So when the Dassault Mirage F1 and/or the Northrop F-5 come out, there could be a server focused on the 1970's too.

It will be up to the mission designers whether to include the A-10C and Su-25T. You're right though, if it's made really really accurate, it will bring a perfect atmosphere to the fight. MiG-21bis pilots would be much more likely to join as well. They become a tougher opponent when you have to face hordes of them with only AIM-7/9's.

Also I can't find any IOC info on the SPS-171 Sorbstya ECM pods on the Su-27. It sounds like a very advanced system so I don't know if it entered service in the 80's or 90's. I also know little about the MiG-29's ECM dates.

IIRC the Su-27 has had ECM from the outset(entered service in 1984).

The initial MiG-29(9.12 from 1983) doesn't have ECM, but the upgraded 9.13 variant, which entered service in 1987 does(built-in Gardeniya-1FUE). The MiG-29(9.13) doesn't exist in the game, but except for the modified radar/R-77 compatibility, it is practically the same aircraft as the MiG-29S(9.13S) - which is from ~1992.

So for an 80' ies scenario it would be the same sort of deal as with the F-15C/AMRAAMs - i.e. just strip it of its R-77s.

Edited by Alfa

JJ

IIRC the Su-27 has had ECM from the outset(entered service in 1984).

The initial MiG-29(9.12 from 1983) doesn't have ECM, but the upgraded 9.13 variant, which entered service in 1987 does(built-in Gardeniya-1FUE). The MiG-29(9.13) doesn't exist in the game, but except for the modified radar/R-77 compatibility, it is practically the same aircraft as the MiG-29S(9.13S) - which is from ~1992.

So for an 80' ies scenario it would be the same sort of deal as with the F-15C/AMRAAMs - i.e. just strip it of its R-77s.

The thing is, it's hard to get IOC information for Russian aircraft. As soon as something is built, they put it "into service", but that doesn't mean anything if there are only 3 planes and 1 of them has no radar. I can never find true, official government or service-approved IOC dates. I think in fact, that the Su-27 first was delivered in 1984 but I think it is widely agreed that not enough planes or radar sets were available until 1986 meaning that the Su-27S didn't really reach true IOC til 86. That being said, there is no equivalent information on the SPS-171 ECM pods.

The US on the other hand, has published IOC dates for pretty much everything which are much more difficult to argue with, making it easier for mission designers.

I've been trying to compile a list of weapons for a 1980's Cold War scenario. I've been trying to find the Initial Operating Capability (IOC) of many of the weapons and equipment in FC3 aircraft and the A-10C (I know that the A-10C entered service in 2007 but the plane is close enough to the A-10A and would be a module people would want to fly so I would keep it in an 80's scenario).

I don't know much about the Russian planes so I have no idea which Su-25T weapons would have been in service in the 1980's. The FC3 manual has IOC's of some weapons, but not for the entire exhaustive list of weapons the Frogfoot has.

You just can't use the A10C or the Su-25T. They are both so far ahead of their earlier counterparts that its literally night and day. I'm sure others have already explained this.

I9 9900k @ 5ghz water cooled, 32gb ram, GTX 2080ti, 1tb M.2, 2tb hdd, 1000 watt psu TrackIR 5, TM Warthog Stick and Throttle, CH Pedals

I'd certainly be interested in this server as described. Sounds like a great place to fly the mig21. My experience with online play is pretty limited so far, but from what I've seen it seems to usually be an amraam-o-thon.

Yep, I've been in correspondence with the 159th for now. Hopefully they will add an 80's scenario to their MP mission rotation.