What is determining VR performance?

kunterbunt

I currently get 23 FPS in vr using f-18 and gulf map. I’m happy, but would like to have better FPS when I upgrade my system.

I know that my CPU is the bottleneck, but if I look how much better new CPU single core performance is compared to my 7 year old CPU, then I cannot expect more than 30% improvement.

But some people have much better performance with modern CPU.

Im asking myself since a long time, how is it possible, that people’s with 30% better CPU performance have 50% or even more better performance.

I now believe that it is related to memory bandwidth.

My current system has DDR3 with 1600Mb/s. Modern DDR4 ram can go up to 3200Mb/s. That is exactly 2x the speed.

That is much better than 30% and would allow CPU to run much more efficient.

If that is true, then a new computer would make allot of difference and it would mean that memory bandwidth is very important to DCS performance.

Anybody with experience that can confirm my idea or crush it?

Edited by kunterbunt

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X | 64GB DDR4-3200 Ram | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog | MFG Crosswind rudder pedals | HP Reverb

But some people have much better performance with modern CPU.

Im asking myself since a long time, how is it possible, that people’s with 30% better CPU performance have 50% or even more better performance.

Apples to oranges? Are you testing for FPS exactly the same as those with better FPS? Same mission, same settings? We need a standard DCS FPS test mission, then it will be apples to apples.

My suggestion would be this: I would like to see ED provide a standard DCS FPS test mission.

Cheers,

Lobo's DCS A-10C Normal Checklist & Quick Reference Handbook current version 8D available here:

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/172905/

I get constant 45fps with oculus rift

CPU i7 7700K overclocked 14% to 4.8GHz

GTX 1080

18ff9b1d3e8b9df5a2c769cb882700a8.jpg

fe16a24d9694c7bd146004c7f68d63b2.jpg

258621ce363ead9096ff29664377e219.jpg

681cf50506817e43fb4f1120e7e2b8bb.jpg

Thanks, but what is your RAM performance?

People keep posting GPU and CPU specs but forget RAM spec, although it seems to be more important than CPU specs.

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X | 64GB DDR4-3200 Ram | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog | MFG Crosswind rudder pedals | HP Reverb

Apples to oranges? Are you testing for FPS exactly the same as those with better FPS? Same mission, same settings? We need a standard DCS FPS test mission, then it will be apples to apples.

My suggestion would be this: I would like to see ED provide a standard DCS FPS test mission.

Cheers,

Agree, but the point here is not how fast compared to someone else, but how much RAM performance has an impact.

So, best would be experience from people who upgraded their system and measure new performance.

No need for ED to do that. And there are already awesome studies from the community. I can't just find the most detailed topic about testing multiple hardware parts each year, to find the best fit for DCS based on its engine limitations.

I'll buy :

МиГ-23МЛД & МЛА МиГ-27К МиГ-25 Mirage III F-4E any IJ plane 1950' Korea Dynamic campaign module

Wow, 4.7GHz CPU. I was not aware that it is possible to run a stock CPU at that speed for longer time. That could make a difference.

Some days i wish i had a better sytem, but when i realise the main and almost only game giving me issue in VR is DCS, that stops me from upgrading, depends of the situation, i can go between 25-45 FPS, but i can live with it, unfortunately, when i drop static objets on the Carrier, specialy F/A-18c Lot 20 Hornets, it really affects my FPS, so i leave the deck naked, a few settings at high. But what can i expect more from my old i7-2600k stock 3.4 Ghz and my small GTX 1070sc 8gb, i try to extend the expence for a new system further more. :)

All is a question of choice.

I've just 25/30fps in my Oculus but with pixels X 1.8, shadows, clutters and plenty of parameters you're setting to min, I've set to max

oK2VkZ2.png

Ok it's an old pic and I've since we have the SSAA I've set to X2, but the other parameters are like these ones

Edited by jef32

CPU: I7-6700K 4Ghz, GC: nVidia GeForce Titan X Gigabytes, 32 Go DDR4, Motherboard: Gigabytes Z170X-Gaming 3. OS: W10-Family, 3 HD Samsung SSD 850 Pro 1TB + 1 Samsung SSD EVO 500 Gb. Oculus Rift CV1