Runway Arresting Cables

Lt. Scribbles

Please add them to the applicable runways. I feel it will be a nice addition to DCS. For example when a players plane gets damaged in combat/ gets an engine failure, and wants to land his plane. He can rely on the cable. I can also see for example in multiplayer: players no longer crash into the runway, or drift/roll over on emergency landing.

RIG SPECS:

-Win 10 professional

-i5 8600k @5.0GHz

-ASUS Maximus X Code

-Samsung 960 Evo 256GB M2 SSD

-Samsung 970 Pro 1TB M2 SSD

-32GB DDR4 RAM @3000MHz

-Asus Strix 1080 Ti 11G

-LG 34UM68-P Monitor

Notebook:

-Win10

- 2018 ASUS ROG GL703gs-E5011T

(i7-8570H, 16GB DDR4, 256GB M2 SSD,GTX1070 8GB.

Been suggested many times and at least twice with the f5e release, i doubt we'll see it for a long time which is a shame because many times have aircraft came in with no hyd pressure and skidded of the runway when they could of just used a hook and wire

then they will be asked to make the f15c hook real because many times it came in with no hyd pressure and skidded of the runway when it could of just used a hook and wire :smilewink:

Why have the +1 comments been removed? Is there a Forum rule against that??

RIG SPECS:

-Win 10 professional

-i5 8600k @5.0GHz

-ASUS Maximus X Code

-Samsung 960 Evo 256GB M2 SSD

-Samsung 970 Pro 1TB M2 SSD

-32GB DDR4 RAM @3000MHz

-Asus Strix 1080 Ti 11G

-LG 34UM68-P Monitor

Notebook:

-Win10

- 2018 ASUS ROG GL703gs-E5011T

(i7-8570H, 16GB DDR4, 256GB M2 SSD,GTX1070 8GB.

I'm still in favor of arresting systems on runways ;)

Maybe even better, make them placeable in the Mission Editor - that way, ED doesn't have to equip all the appropriate airfields, have all the discussions about which airfields should and should not have them and we have the chance to have expeditionary systems for landing aircraft on short or temporary runways ;)

http://www.boeing.com/commercial/aeromagazine/aero_13/runway_story.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arresting_gear#Land-based_systems

"[...] because, basically, in this day and age, if you get to the merge and no one's died - it's not good for anybody." - Keith 'Okie' Nance
"Nun siegt mal schön!" - Theodor Heuss, September 1958

"Nobody has any intention of building a wall." - Walter Ulbricht, June 1961
"Russia has no plans to invade either Ukraine or any other country.
" - Vladimir Chizhov, Russia's ambassador to the EU, January 2022

And yes, I realize that means that people would put arresting cables on the top of Mt. Elbrus to land their F/A-18C - so what :) The novelty will wear off eventually and I would find arresting gear helpful in general...

"[...] because, basically, in this day and age, if you get to the merge and no one's died - it's not good for anybody." - Keith 'Okie' Nance
"Nun siegt mal schön!" - Theodor Heuss, September 1958

"Nobody has any intention of building a wall." - Walter Ulbricht, June 1961
"Russia has no plans to invade either Ukraine or any other country.
" - Vladimir Chizhov, Russia's ambassador to the EU, January 2022

But does the Airframe Is still flyable with right engine flameout? I startet a Test with a dual flameout and the plane Wasn‘t steerable.

And + 1 for arresting system

Turn on the APU and you will get Hydraulics so you can stear and lower the gear and use the break.. :)

I have asked for the same a while back...

Please add them to the applicable runways. I feel it will be a nice addition to DCS. For example when a players plane gets damaged in combat/ gets an engine failure, and wants to land his plane. He can rely on the cable. I can also see for example in multiplayer: players no longer crash into the runway, or drift/roll over on emergency landing.

Apparently, this was somehow highlighted to devs but there was no confirmation either way.

Here is an old discussion about a similar wish I posted:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=175530

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

Turn on the APU and you will get Hydraulics so you can stear and lower the gear and use the break.. :)

That is not my understanding . APU only outputs air , and USES the hydraulic accumulator to start . So turning on the APU depletes the accumulator , resulting in the inability to lower the gear with right engine out . There is a link to an IRL incident detailing precisely this in the "engine flameout" thread in hornet forum .

Edited by Svsmokey

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

• 8 months later...

The F-16C preview video showing off the wip Syria map triggered the fact for me that we are getting more and more aerodromes on the Nevada, PG & Syria theaters that are dedicated fighter bases equipped with NATO standard cable arresting sytems.

With the technology and physics being already coded for the carriers, it would be a really great addition and step towards procedural realism if we could get land-based cables at least for those airbases that have them irl.

Given our abundant use of live ammo and widespread material-expensive flying style in the sim, there's plenty of opportunities throughout all DCS gaming styles to make fair use of those cables...

With an ATC overhaul on the horizon, the realistic use of cables could even be extended to only the departure end cables of the active RWYs being permanently in place and the approach end cables having to be requested from ATC throught the comms menu and needing 5 minutes installation delay.