DDU use - Caution

Hi

I just tried to use DDU which takes you into windows safe mode. Since the last windows update windows has changed my password which meant that i could not actually log in and it was stuck on the safe mode sign in page. I had to:

a. Download a windows 10 iso file from Microsoft on another laptop and burn to dvd.

b. Insert dvd in 'broken' machine and boot from it.

c. When it loads, go to the troubleshooting section and open up a command prompt window.

d. Enter the following to reset the boot details: bcdedit /deletevalue {default} safeboot

This solved the problem.

Neal

Desktop PC:

Intel i7 14700K, MSI Z790 MAG Tomahawk MOBO, 64Gb RAM , GPU Nvidia RTX 3080ti

Windows 11, VPC joystick, Crosswind rudder peddles, HP Reverb G2, VPC Collective, DOF Reality H2, Gametrix seat, WinWing panels.

eeehhhwwww

Are you sure you did not get confused between:

Local password

windows live password

pin

Windows, as far as I have experienced, does not change or reset a password due to updates.

This was in the news if it was true, but I might be uninformed.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Hi Bitmaster

no, I have used DDU many times before, always booting into safemode and entering my windows password. This is the first time that I have used DDU since windows 10 switched to pin number.

My PC rebooted to the main safemode login but would not accept my password or in fact any password that I had used on this machine. I also tried the pin and any other combination without success. My windows password still works on my laptop, which does not use a pin.

It is all a bit weird, but this forum helped: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security-winpc/stuck-in-safe-mode-and-forgot-password-for-windows/4bc87612-9cc1-4ed3-bf9a-d869fd1b10c5

Neal

Desktop PC:

Intel i7 14700K, MSI Z790 MAG Tomahawk MOBO, 64Gb RAM , GPU Nvidia RTX 3080ti

Windows 11, VPC joystick, Crosswind rudder peddles, HP Reverb G2, VPC Collective, DOF Reality H2, Gametrix seat, WinWing panels.

• 3 weeks later...

16 days old, if this is a necro, I'm sorry.

On my old machine I uninstalled the nvidia drivers so I could use an extra AMD card I have. Of course, the nvidia hdaudio driver did not actually uninstall and conflicts with the AMD hdaudio driver. I remembered the name "driver sweeper" from the old days and see that it's called DDU now.

Should I give it a go? This other machine still runs Win7, so I hope I wouldn't run into an issue like the one above.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

Win7 still here and I've been using DDU for years with no issues whatsoever, so you should be fine. That's with my last two NV cards though, I don't have recent experience with ATI ones.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.