Air-to-Air Combat Loadouts

Blaze1

Pump sumps, fuel feed locations in each tank, and debris settling space are the three common culprits.

F14 (and A6) use "motive flow" to move fuel from tanks to engines, dump, etc. Drop tanks are pressurized as well. It is a siphoning type of technique. Trapped fuel is sumps, flop tube type fuel pickups, and capacitance fuel sender limitations.

Viewpoints are my own.

F14 (and A6) use "motive flow" to move fuel from tanks to engines, dump, etc. Drop tanks are pressurized as well. It is a siphoning type of technique. Trapped fuel is sumps, flop tube type fuel pickups, and capacitance fuel sender limitations.

Does the indicated fuel account for unuseable fuel?

In every aircraft I’ve flown, the fuel gauge is calibrated to not include unuseable fuel, and the unuseable is factored into the weight and balance for the empty weight of the aircraft (ie 0 fuel weight actually includes the unuseable stuff)

Is the Tomcat the same, or are we going to have to hold 700-800 on the totalizer in addition to a normal reserve?

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

Damn. This is what I was trying to create in spreadsheet form. Thanks for saving me the work.

Edit - Okay, quick math; 4 Phoenix, 2 sparrow and 2 sidewinder: fuel state for max trap is 1.2. Wee.

So depending on if it's the A or the B and which trap restriction you are using is going to effect this.

The navy had two trap weights that it used for the F14 during its service

51,800lbs and 54,000lbs.

So the F14B should be 50,596 lbs so depending on the era it either has 1200 or 3400lbs of fuel.

The F14A will only come in at 48,916 so you get 2900lbs under the origional trap and 5100lbs under the relaxed weight

So the only place it gets sketchy is the B with the origional trap weight. Though the wires can obviously handle the weight.

Will this trapped fuel be simulated? Is the trapped (but, apparently indicated) quantity more or less constant?

E.g. 1200 lbs +/- some random amount?

It should be implemented, I guess.

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

So depending on if it's the A or the B and which trap restriction you are using is going to effect this.

The navy had two trap weights that it used for the F14 during its service

51,800lbs and 54,000lbs.

So the F14B should be 50,596 lbs so depending on the era it either has 1200 or 3400lbs of fuel.

The F14A will only come in at 48,916 so you get 2900lbs under the origional trap and 5100lbs under the relaxed weight

So the only place it gets sketchy is the B with the origional trap weight. Though the wires can obviously handle the weight.

I'm a worst-case scenario kind of guy, so I'm going with 1,200 pounds. Therefore, if I take four Phoenixes, I'm staying up until I use them.