Best HOTAS for the Tomcat?

Donut

Tomcat has a very specific buttons layout that won't fit 1:1 to any joystick on the market. Heard that VKB wants to build a direct replica, but these guys have issues with availability all the time. Other than that, regardless of what joystick you buy, you'll have to get creative with the mapping.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

What is everyone's opinion on which current HOTAS will be best for the Tomcat? I currently have the X-55 but would like to upgrade someday but I don't know if the Warthog will be the best HOTAS for the Tomcat.

More of a general comment, but I had the X55 Rhino for years and thought it was good enough to not warrant an upgrade to something significantly more expensive like the Warthog...well, I picked up the Warthog on a whim recently (I actually found it on a store shelf locally) and was amazed by the difference. All this time I have been struggling against the controls and I had no idea how bad it was until I had something superior to compare it to. Perhaps I needed to mess around with the X55 deadzone and curves, etc., but the Warthog felt significantly better right out of the box.

So far, worth every penny.

I'll also recommend the Warthog. I have significantly invested in upgrading my flight sim hardware in preparation for the F-14 and the difference it has made is significant. I went from struggling to hold the tanker in the F/A-18 with my old stick to being able to reliably go through an entire transfer with little trouble. The Warthog HOTAS won't be able to perfectly replicate the Tomcat exactly, but it does have enough of the right kinds of buttons to do a passable job.

As jarhead state, so far worth every penny.

DCSF-14AOK3A.jpg

DCSF14AOK3B.png

Hi =BJM=

I've had several types of joysticks etc and the last two were the original TM HOTAS and now the TM Warthog HOTAS since it was released and this has been by far the best joy/throttle combo I've ever had. Yes, it was a large investment but the gear is rock solid and just keeps on keeping on! :-):joystick:

Edited by Kaos

| FC3 | KA-50 | A-10C | MIG-21Bis | F-86F | UH-1H | HAWK T.1A | F/A-18C | AV-8B N\A | F-14B | F-16C | AJS-37 | CA | NEVADA | PERSIAN GULF | SUPER CARRIER | SYRIA

I have the HOTAS Warthog and I have been thinking for a few weeks now on how the buttons will map. Pretty sure there are enough, but I will probably need some key bindings as well. Won't know for sure until I get the module and get a little time with it.

I have the HOTAS Warthog and I have been thinking for a few weeks now on how the buttons will map. Pretty sure there are enough, but I will probably need some key bindings as well. Won't know for sure until I get the module and get a little time with it.

Here is the default Warthog layout.

cpB5Nvw.png

vLL1elG.png

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

stepped_with_391_new_small.png

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog

Thanks Strikeeagle345! It looks like the Warthog offers more than enough options and covers the Tomcat's controls well.

Thank you to everyone else as well for the comments. It sounds like the Warthog would be a worthy upgrade from the X-55. I also like that the Warthog has an AB detent which I have missed in the X-55.

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

Thanks Strikeeagle345! It looks like the Warthog offers more than enough options and covers the Tomcat's controls well.

Thank you to everyone else as well for the comments. It sounds like the Warthog would be a worthy upgrade from the X-55. I also like that the Warthog has an AB detent which I have missed in the X-55.

Best upgrade you can get (almost a must have) is the push trough detents made by Shapeways. A more realistic Detent like the hornets.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/3MJPNE2SV/warthog-throttle-part-afterburner-detent?option=63799440&etId=189500340&utm_source=automated-contact&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=payment-received&utm_content=3

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

stepped_with_391_new_small.png

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog

I also like that the Warthog has an AB detent which I have missed in the X-55.

This is a good afterburner option for X55/56. A friend printed it for me and it works perfectly, also lines up perfectly with the software location of the detent in DCS (no axis tuning necessary)

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2370066

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

What is everyone's opinion on which current HOTAS will be best for the Tomcat? I currently have the X-55 but would like to upgrade someday but I don't know if the Warthog will be the best HOTAS for the Tomcat.

There's none. If you are in a really bad need for a stick replacement, then the Warthog may be you best bet. However, if you are aren't and you are willing to wait a bit (and if you are like me and suffer from a chronic break of immersion when i see a mud moover's stick employed on air superiority fighters) i would advise patience.

And check this out:

https://stormbirds.blog/2017/10/12/heatblur-teases-new-vkb-stick/?fbclid=IwAR1yO56KKTWjhdCjndiNJwMs2E-2ryYaBMfaNdMH1W76yagzFOfn4kj7yoY

:thumbup:

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache